Bombers trade Cory Watson to Saskatchewan

Mike

How is this move playing amongst Rider fans?

I was doing some browsing over at riderfans and the consensus seems to mostly be disappointment... no one is ready to blow up the entire team yet, but no one terribly thrilled with this move....

Common comment :"if he stays healthy, he could be a a good one"... sound familiar??

It's funny ... I remember over the past few months, we've all been talking about maybe trading Watson.

So many of us (myself especially) were shooting down the hope of ever being able to get a 2nd rounder for Watson.

Thank you Taman!

We are happy to help you guys out.  ):

It's funny ... I remember over the past few months, we've all been talking about maybe trading Watson.

So many of us (myself especially) were shooting down the hope of ever being able to get a 2nd rounder for Watson.

Thank you Taman!

Every GM in the CFL knows where to go when they have a vet (or an aging vet) player they're willing to let go for draft pick(s).

Why do we need to unload salary in order to put out large offers to FA??

The cap doesn't come into play in the offseason?   I guess you don't want to cut someone for nothing if the salary cap becomes and issue.. but...

Sustainability and cap management. 

Right.. But you don't have to be under the cap until the end of the year.. 

Sooo.. That gives you alot of time to get it sorted out with injuries etc. 

Like the move, but not sure why it would be about cap space.

Where the heck did we get the 26th overall pick?

Did we make any other trades with Hamilton? The 26th pick is the second last of round 3 so it would have originally been their pick.

There was Aprile for Bucknor but there were no picks reported as a part of that trade.

Why do we need to unload salary in order to put out large offers to FA??

The cap doesn't come into play in the offseason?   I guess you don't want to cut someone for nothing if the salary cap becomes and issue.. but...

Sustainability and cap management. 

Right.. But you don't have to be under the cap until the end of the year.. 

Sooo.. That gives you alot of time to get it sorted out with injuries etc. 

Like the move, but not sure why it would be about cap space.

It was about cap space. Sure the trade could have come later without harming our SMS any, However, the timing of this move does a few things to our benefit. One...it signals to potential FAs that we have had back door contact with that we are serious about spending money in FA. Two....it takes cap space immediately away from the Riders as they try to sort out who they can keep or more importantly can't keep. Three....it gets us a high pick in THIS year's draft...a draft that is being billed as the best since 2008.

Watson was going to get dumped no matter what. This was the best time to do it.

So Doug Brown says Watson asked for a trade East to be closer to home. Curious if Taman flips him out there...

If he was going to do that, I would think this would have ended up being a three way trade. My suspicion is that there were no takers out East....well none that were willing to pay what Taman paid.

So Doug Brown says Watson asked for a trade East to be closer to home. Curious if Taman flips him out there...

If he was going to do that, I would think this would have ended up being a three way trade. My suspicion is that there were no takers out East....well none that were willing to pay what Taman paid.

Ottawa might want him.