Bombers trade Cory Watson to Saskatchewan

Mike

Mike Kelly added to it. Taman already had this team in a mess when he departed after 2008.

He used our 4 draft picks to take Mike Morris, Adam Bestard, Peter Quinney, and Thaine Carter. If those names aren't familiar, there's a pretty good reason. They were terrible picks.

Some of that is shared with Taman, as he traded some of those 2009 picks.

Kelly let Gauthier, Koch, Picard and Goodspeed walk in free agency. I know Goodspeed isn't a NI, but if I don't mention him, Kelly's "I think we can re-sign all four!" doesn't quite make sense.

Some of that is shared with Taman, as he could have extended these guys earlier.

Kelly claimed he was going to do a better job of hanging on to our draft picks than Taman ever did. As I recall, we were still missing a pick in the 2013 draft from one of Kelly's many traded picks.

None of that is shared with Taman.

You'd have to do a pretty comprehensive essay to convince me Kelly added anything to this team other than bloated bombast, including the area of NI talent.

He mean Kelly added to the mess that Taman created.

Anf btw, I know you still feel the anger on Kelly's stupidities... but chill man! watch your blood pressure. :D

Yea i agree.. Pretty sure he was saying kelly added to the problem..

Mike Kelly added to it. Taman already had this team in a mess when he departed after 2008.

He used our 4 draft picks to take Mike Morris, Adam Bestard, Peter Quinney, and Thaine Carter.  If those names aren't familiar, there's a pretty good reason.  They were terrible picks.

Kelly let Gauthier, Koch, Picard and Goodspeed walk in free agency.  I know Goodspeed isn't a NI, but if I don't mention him, Kelly's "I think we can re-sign all four!" doesn't quite make sense.

Some of that is shared with Taman, as he could have extended these guys earlier.

Kelly claimed he was going to do a better job of hanging on to our draft picks than Taman ever did.  As I recall, we were still missing a pick in the 2013 draft from one of Kelly's many traded picks.

You'd have to do a pretty comprehensive essay to convince me Kelly added anything to this team other than bloated bombast, including the area of NI talent.

I feel like when he said "Mike Kelly added to it", he means he added to the problem, not to our NI depth.  But I could be wrong.

Yes, thank you. The force is strong with this one...I'll be more careful next time to make sure even the obvious is spelled out for others.

Still waiting on that essay, nonetheless.

He used our 4 draft picks to take Mike Morris, Adam Bestard, Peter Quinney, and Thaine Carter.  If those names aren't familiar, there's a pretty good reason.  They were terrible picks.

Kelly let Gauthier, Koch, Picard and Goodspeed walk in free agency.  I know Goodspeed isn't a NI, but if I don't mention him, Kelly's "I think we can re-sign all four!" doesn't quite make sense.

Kelly claimed he was going to do a better job of hanging on to our draft picks than Taman ever did.  As I recall, we were still missing a pick in the 2013 draft from one of Kelly's many traded picks.

I feel like when he said "Mike Kelly added to it", he means he added to the problem, not to our NI depth.  But I could be wrong.

Yes, thank you. The force is strong with this one...I'll be more careful next time to make sure even the obvious is spelled out for others.

And can you make it available with a mobile App.?

Taman's rational... He traded his 2nd round pick for an NI starter, which he'd never get with the 2nd round pick this year.   Fits in to his philosophy of taking a known starter rather than a possible future starter.  He dumped a receiver who couldn't crack the roster last year for a 3rd round pick this year.  

Frankly I'm surprised there isn't more angst around here.  Lots of folks thought Watson was a star in Winnipeg.... If he could only stay healthy.  Kinda like Buck and Neufeld.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.  Once a player's not a Bomber, all their negatives are highlighted on these forums.

Tons of posters myself included have been advocating trading Watson for a return EXACTLY like the one we got for quite some time now. Even the Rider fans know this trade was a big win for the Bombers.

I do remember reading different posters posing the unanswerable question on whether we could make a trade with Cory Watson.

There was a definite back and forth discussion on whether it was even possible.

With whom?

For whom?

How could we make the best use of Cory Watson?

I think we just did.

Cory Watson looked like a future superstar but between all the injuries just could never piece it together. At this point in his career I don't think he'll ever manage to stay healthy for long parts of the season. I wish him well in Sask.  

This trade is pretty solid for us. We move up quite a bit higher in the draft - in what I'm lead to believe is a deep class - and yet manage to bring back a young, Canadian WR who was thought of highly in last year's draft.

Now that we've got several high-ish picks this year, I think we could strongly look at taking a non-lineman at 2nd overall. If I'm being a true homer, I want Demski at that spot. Lots of time (and free agency) to figure all that out though.

Cory Watson looked like a future superstar but between all the injuries just could never piece it together. At this point in his career I don't think he'll ever manage to stay healthy for long parts of the season. I wish him well in Sask.

This trade is pretty solid for us. We move up quite a bit higher in the draft - in what I'm lead to believe is a deep class - and yet manage to bring back a young, Canadian WR who was thought of highly in last year's draft.

Now that we've got several high-ish picks this year, I think we could strongly look at taking a non-lineman at 2nd overall. If I'm being a true homer, I want Demski at that spot. Lots of time (and free agency) to figure all that out though.

Durant has to go before Demski.

Watson should be healthy for the start of 2015 and I believe he will make a positive impact on both their roster and their play so don't be too surprised if those green buggers are crowing from their rooftops in the early part of the season.  Will have to check back in with them around game 6 though to see if their rooster died.

Frankly I'm surprised there isn't more angst around here. Lots of folks thought Watson was a star in Winnipeg.... If he could only stay healthy. Kinda like Buck and Neufeld. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Once a player's not a Bomber, all their negatives are highlighted on these forums.

You're starting to slip. Your attempts to stir up arguments are usually less transparent.

I mean everyone knew he would find a way to poo-poo on the trade but i agree, his attempt to bring others into his angst-flock seemed.. like he was going thru the motions lol..

I'm not poo poo'ing the trade at all, nor am I trying to start an argument.

Folks were asking what Taman's rational was.  That's what I was replying to.  Go back a little further and you'll see that I'm for the trade.

Not surprised at all that the same folks are misreading what I type and then complaining about it yet again.

What's the scoop on Bastien?

What's the scouting report on Bastien?

Here it is:

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2015/1/29_Lots_of_Movement.html

What do you think his pro potential is? Is he a guy who could possibly be a competent starter in a few years?

Yes, based on potential shown in the past. 

A year on the PR should move him closer to game ready. He should challenge for a 46 man roster spot. 

Kind of like Brett Carter last year?  Would you agree with a Stoddard or Hargreaves comparison?

Based on potential I think he could be a Shawn Gore type. Good hands, runs the routes properly. 

I think that Watson will have the better 2015 but come 2016 that will be the real comparison year.

What's the scoop on Bastien?

What's the scouting report on Bastien?

Here it is:

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2015/1/29_Lots_of_Movement.html

What do you think his pro potential is? Is he a guy who could possibly be a competent starter in a few years?

Yes, based on potential shown in the past.

A year on the PR should move him closer to game ready. He should challenge for a 46 man roster spot.

Kind of like Brett Carter last year? Would you agree with a Stoddard or Hargreaves comparison?

Based on potential I think he could be a Shawn Gore type. Good hands, runs the routes properly.

I think that Watson will have the better 2015 but come 2016 that will be the real comparison year.

Cool! Very nice to hear the positive outlook on Bastien. If that outlook comes to fruition, the trade will be an absolute steal for Walters.

The word is RATIONALE.

Not a bad haul for Watson, who is basically done physically, but Walters has to replace him now. Not sure Bastien does that. Think they'll be using a high pick and probably adding a NI receiver in free agency too.

But why does Walters have to replace Watson now? Bombers played half the season last year without Watson and when he did play he didn't do much. JFG filled in admirably.

The word is RATIONALE.

Not a bad haul for Watson, who is basically done physically, but Walters has to replace him now. Not sure Bastien does that. Think they'll be using a high pick and probably adding a NI receiver in free agency too.

But why does Walters have to replace Watson now? Bombers played half the season last year without Watson and when he did play he didn't do much. JFG filled in admirably.

The deal was there to make now so Walters made it. 

The word is RATIONALE.

Right. We need another backup NI receiver or two, but we have two starters I'm satisfied with already with Kohlert in JFG.

The word is RATIONALE.

Cause we need to have more than 2 NI receivers who can reasonably play next season, special teams too.  

The word is RATIONALE.

The deal was there to make now so Walters made it.
Exactly, I like the trade. Watson's a free agent this season and said he wanted to be closer to home so he was gone in a year. My point is JFG is no slouch and can step right in for Watson.

The word is RATIONALE.

Cause we need to have more than 2 NI receivers who can reasonably play next season, special teams too.

Carter & Bastien as of today. We spent most of last season with Carter as the 3rd Canadian WR.

If we're using number 2 on a skill position player it has to be Durant... Varga would warrant the high pick but I doubt we see him in the CFL for a few years, so it would be a waste.

My dream draft is Groux, Demski, and Ackie...

Just so happens it may be possible at this point in time

The word is RATIONALE.

Carter & Bastien as of today. We spent most of last season with Carter as the 3rd Canadian WR.

I'm rooting for Carter to do well as much as they next guy but if he's our third Canadian receiver next year (and he won't be - just hypothetical) then we're in trouble.

From a 2014 mock draft:

Kris Bastien, REC, Concordia: Bastien has a pro-ready body, but scouts have questioned his toughness.

He has a nice size (6-foot-2 and a half), strength (20 bench press reps) and speed (4.63 in the 40) combo.

The Bombers traded Jade Etienne in the off-season and could use a fresh non-import talent at receiver.