Bombers trade Cory Watson to Saskatchewan

Mike

IF the reports are true and Watson wanted out of here, it'll put a BIG asterisk beside his name for me, regarding his time here in the last little while. Makes me wonder about all the time he spent in the tub. Makes one play and is gonzo for a stretch. If that's the kind of player he is, glad he's with the riders.

bit of a reach, eh....

IF the reports are true and Watson wanted out of here, it'll put a BIG asterisk beside his name for me, regarding his time here in the last little while. Makes me wonder about all the time he spent in the tub. Makes one play and is gonzo for a stretch. If that's the kind of player he is, glad he's with the riders.

He re-signed with the Bombers twice - he had 2 opportunities to leave between the time we drafted him and now and did not.  Throttle back on the conspiracy theories.

Kirk Penton has a very informative article in today's Sun:

Thanks to getting the 15th overall pick, the Bombers now have the second, 11th and 15th selections in what is being described as a deep 2015 draft class.

The reason why the trade could work both now and in the future for the Bombers is because of the salary cap space the Blue and Gold gained with Thursday's transaction. Watson will make $120,000 this season, while Bastien can't be earning much more than the league minimum, which this season will be $51,000.

The Bombers had the 26th overall pick after flipping their third-round selections in the Abe Kromah deal with the Tiger-Cats. That means Hamilton has Winnipeg's 20th overall selection.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/01/29/bombers-deal-cory-watson-to-saskatchewan

Yes very interesting. I guess Wikipedia needs to update their 2015 draft page.

I'll contact Wikipedia's CFL department - I'm sure they'll get right on it.

Thanks to getting the 15th overall pick, the Bombers now have the second, 11th and 15th selections in what is being described as a deep 2015 draft class.

The reason why the trade could work both now and in the future for the Bombers is because of the salary cap space the Blue and Gold gained with Thursday's transaction. Watson will make $120,000 this season, while Bastien can't be earning much more than the league minimum, which this season will be $51,000.

The Bombers had the 26th overall pick after flipping their third-round selections in the Abe Kromah deal with the Tiger-Cats. That means Hamilton has Winnipeg's 20th overall selection.

It has been updated.

From Rod Pedersen's blog:

We were tipped off prior to Thursday's live interview with Watson on the SportsCage that he's a shy type, and doesn't relish the spotlight.  However he gave a thoughful 10-minute interview and said once the shock of the trade wears off, he'll be ecstatic to be a part of the Rider Nation.  One of his comments which stuck out the most is that he's glad to be "joining a winning organization".  Unfortunately for Cory, he didn't do a lot of winning while in the Manitoba capital.

http://www.rodpedersen.com/

We were tipped off prior to Thursday's live interview with Watson on the SportsCage that he's a shy type, and doesn't relish the spotlight.  However he gave a thoughful 10-minute interview and said once the shock of the trade wears off, he'll be ecstatic to be a part of the Rider Nation.  One of his comments which stuck out the most is that he's glad to be "joining a winning organization".  Unfortunately for Cory, he didn't do a lot of winning while in the Manitoba capital.

What an odd comment. I hope that's taken out of context...

It's easy to spin that comment back to a negative towards Winnipeg.... when in reality he simply means that the Riders have been a winning organization over the last 10sih years... there was zero mention of the Bombers org...

You just played right into TB's hand with that remark...

That statement is now in the past…just as the comment will be.

He re-signed with the Bombers twice - he had 2 opportunities to leave between the time we drafted him and now and did not.  Throttle back on the conspiracy theories.

I guess you missed the little word IF reports are true. I'm not the one writing the bloody reports. Conspiracy...give me a break.?? It's there for you to read and you take it the way you want. Watson re-upped twice sure, but people change and so do circumstances. His latest comment about 'finally being with a 'winning' organization' (we'll see about that) says a lot. Couldn't make us a winner from the tub so things are going to be dif. We'll see.

I guess you missed the little word IF reports are true. I'm not the one writing the bloody reports. Conspiracy...give me a break.?? It's there for you to read and you take it the way you want. Watson re-upped twice sure, but people change and so do circumstances. His latest comment about 'finally being with a 'winning' organization' (we'll see about that) says a lot. Couldn't make us a winner from the tub so things are going to be dif. We'll see.

That's not what he said.

Here is the interview:

www.620ckrm.com/images/mp3/SC_Jan2915.mp3

Skip ahead to 0:43:00.

His comment had nothing to do with any team other than the Riders.

I'll contact Wikipedia's CFL department - I'm sure they'll get right on it.
Not sure if that's a smart ass comment or not.

Looks like Wikipedia is correct now. Had Winnipeg picking 20th yesterday but now showing Hamilton.

I do believe that pretty much anyone can sign up and edit Wikipedia.  It sometimes goes through an approval process if you are new or not known.

That is the whole point of Wikipedia, is it is kept up to date by the community at large.

I do believe that pretty much anyone can sign up and edit Wikipedia.  It sometimes goes through an approval process if you are new or not known.

That is the whole point of Wikipedia, is it is kept up to date by the community at large.

Mostly correct.

However you don't have to sign up, you can edit entries and it will just record your IP address (and anyone can see this IP address once you have edited, so it's a good idea to just sign up if you want to edit stuff, it will just show your username).  There is no approval process.  But if someone finds you added a really bad edit, your IP will get banned and you won't be able to edit anything anymore.

Any CFL stuff you find on Wikipedia has more than likely been edited by someone who also posts on boards like these.  Wikipedia editors are generally just the "super-fans" of any subject matter.

....granted 'joining a winning org.' is a little different...Inserting the word 'finally' gives it a dif. connotation ...According to Pedersen he did say he was 'glad to be joining a winning org.'  Guess he wasn't happy here , obviously, if you believe he requested a trade. Putting it a dif .way How long was he unhappy here, if that's the case and did it affect his play. One has to wonder.

...Who has the 'official' draft order...I'm confused like Mike....What are our pics.????

I do believe that pretty much anyone can sign up and edit Wikipedia. It sometimes goes through an approval process if you are new or not known.

...Who has the 'official' draft order...I'm confused like Mike....What are our pics.????

It's now 2, 11, 15, then nothing in the 3rd.

2011 seems so long ago now, I suppose 3 season is a long time football wise.  I thought Watson was the next Canuck superstar back then.  Goodluck in SK Mr. Watson.

The way he played Watson definitely had the talent to be a Canadian superstar, unfortunately injuries prevented him from achieving this status.  Players that play with reckless abandon like Watson and Sears can rarely avoid spending a good portion of the season in the tub.  Solomon Elimimian consciously decided to change the way he plays to prolong his career and yet has remained extremely effective.  Use more brain less brawn.