Bombers trade Cory Watson to Saskatchewan

Mike

Deals like this, really reinforces the feeling that Walters really gets the big picture (roster age, draft positioning, cap relief)   Sometimes, you have to make the required moves (moving potential top CDN starter) in order to set yourself for future success, moving forward.

Even IF.....Cory finally stays healthy....still is a very sound deal for the Blue

Does anyone know who the player on the negotiation list was that was thrown into the trade?

No... Darren Cameron stated on twitter that he cannot be named as per CFL policy... however, if he signs with the Bombers they will say he was part of this deal...

As per @MorningBigBlue (Mike)

So Doug Brown says Watson asked for a trade East to be closer to home. Curious if Taman flips him out there...

If he was going to do that, I would think this would have ended up being a three way trade. My suspicion is that there were no takers out East....well none that were willing to pay what Taman paid.

Seems unlikely that Taman could turn Watson into more than what he gave up to get him.

I like Watson.

This is a good trade for us.

Why do we need to unload salary in order to put out large offers to FA??

The cap doesn't come into play in the offseason? I guess you don't want to cut someone for nothing if the salary cap becomes and issue.. but...

Sustainability and cap management.

Right.. But you don't have to be under the cap until the end of the year..

Sooo.. That gives you alot of time to get it sorted out with injuries etc.

Like the move, but not sure why it would be about cap space.

Imagine trading a guy when everyone knows you need to dump his salary. Not negotiating from a position of strength. If he asked for a trade I like this more and more.

If Walters' already has a framework of how his roster is going to shape up and where money is likely to be allocated to, why wait to put a plan into action?  And why wait when a decent pick is on the table, when that same return is probably not going to be there later?

I'm sure glad I'm not seeing this from the Rider's point of view, because from there, this doesn't look like a very good trade.

Who exactly, is going to be in their receiving core with hall passes being given to Cory Watson and Jamal Richardson?

Reminds me of Taman and the old days…there's never a bad day to trade your picks.

I do like this trade... but imagining Corey Watson in Riders green does make me feel a little sick to the stomach...

You'll get over it quick when you see a Heenan on a blue&gold jersey.

You mean standing on it or falling on it?  Because I'm pretty sure he's fallen on a few Bombers in the past.

:D

Might have to jump on the bandwagon...  this trade looks pretty good

26th pick in 2014 for a 26th pick in 2015 and then Watson for 15th

Not sure the salary cap is as huge a factor as it seems - who knows when bonuses were paid, etc - but either way, Bastien was a good prospect last year and Watson is almost done

I just saw that Watson is in the final year of his contract.

Maybe Walters is trying to extend Watson and he denied it and (1) expressed intentions to be traded close to home or (2) will walk out as FA after this year and sign on any East team.

So Walters, instead of losing him for nothing, pull the trade when Taman bit the bait.

As I read more and more about this trade, I'm liking it more and more.

As a straight up trade, this is good news for both teams…Watson for them and a salary displacement, move up the draft in a good draft year and the acquisition of a promising receiver for the Bombers.

I take that back. This could very well be a great trade for the Bombers, regardless of how Watson does.

That salary dump alone could help us a decent receiver in FA or go towards another FA.

Moving up the draft is a very good move and exciting for us.

And , obviously, Walters and staff have a very good grasp of Bastien and what he brings in the terms of potential.

“He had an outstanding evaluation camp last year. Of all the players at evaluation camp, he really caught people’s attention. He’s 6-3 and 205 lbs., so he’s got all the physical tools and he just needs to get a little experience to see if that can translate onto the football field,” said Walters.

This Canadian Coaching staff, and their knowledge, is starting to look better and better.

As I read more and more about this trade, I'm liking it more and more.

As a straight up trade, this is good news for both teams…Watson for them and a salary displacement, move up the draft in a good draft year and the acquisition of a promising receiver for the Bombers.

I take that back. This could very well be a great trade for the Bombers, regardless of how Watson does.

That salary dump alone could help us a decent receiver in FA or go towards another FA.

Moving up the draft is a very good move and exciting for us.

And , obviously, Walters and staff have a very good grasp of Bastien and what he brings in the terms of potential.

“He had an outstanding evaluation camp last year. Of all the players at evaluation camp, he really caught people’s attention. He’s 6-3 and 205 lbs., so he’s got all the physical tools and he just needs to get a little experience to see if that can translate onto the football field,” said Walters.

This Canadian Coaching staff, and their knowledge, is starting to look better and better.

Don't mean to run down your post, because I'm not saying you are wrong. But how does that quote indicate Walters has a good grasp on Kris Bastien? I mean, of course he does. He should have a good grasp on every national player between the ages of 16-40. But how does a complimentary quote about him after they JUST traded for him prove that?