Bombers trade Cory Watson to Saskatchewan

Mike

I just saw that Watson is in the final year of his contract.

Maybe Walters is trying to extend Watson and he denied it and (1) expressed intentions to be traded close to home or (2) will walk out as FA after this year and sign on any East team.

So Walters, instead of losing him for nothing, pull the trade when Taman bit the bait.

I don't like to put the cart before the horse, but the "why" of this trade as far as Taman's concerned doesn't have a lot a good answers - except for one.

Taman really wants to make sure he has 3 bonafide NI starters at receiver for next season because he knows they are going to have to change the ratio, because he's fairly certain Heenan won't be back.

Taman has a different philosophy than I do but he's not an outright dummy.  This trade doesn't make much sense unless I view it from Heenan angle, which doesn't make it a spectacular trade for him, but at least a logical one.

I apologize for any hopes this may raise, I know there's a pretty good chance they'll be dashed later on.

But how does that quote indicate Walters has a good grasp on Kris Bastien? I mean, of course he does. He should have a good grasp on every national player between the ages of 16-40. But how does a complimentary quote about him after they JUST traded for him prove that?

It's not the quote so much as it is the rationale behind the quote.

Reading how Walters has immersed himself into the Canadian aspect from his early days in his career and the the assembled knowledge of the Canadian staff this team has put together, leads me to believe they have a very good grasp on who Bastien is, and perhaps they very much wanted him before this.

Walters and whomever have brought in players such as Kohlert and Gudino.

They had a grasp of their abilities.

This move resembles the thinking behind those acquisitions, and that's what I was leading up to.

The quote is for the press release, the rationale is from the previous scouting.

Maybe Walters is trying to extend Watson and he denied it and (1) expressed intentions to be traded close to home or (2) will walk out as FA after this year and sign on any East team.

So Walters, instead of losing him for nothing, pull the trade when Taman bit the bait.

I don't like to put the cart before the horse, but the "why" of this trade as far as Taman's concerned doesn't have a lot a good answers - except for one.

Taman really wants to make sure he has 3 bonafide NI starters at receiver for next season because he knows they are going to have to change the ratio, because he's fairly certain Heenan won't be back.

Taman has a different philosophy than I do but he's not an outright dummy.  This trade doesn't make much sense unless I view it from Heenan angle, which doesn't make it a spectacular trade for him, but at least a logical one.

I apologize for any hopes this may raise, I know there's a pretty good chance they'll be dashed later on.

I agree with your assessment. Watson is way too expensive not to be a starter. I think they know that they are in tough with the ratio and needed to make this move. It would appear that Taman has given up hope of signing Heenan for the price tag he is willing to pay him. That could mean that Heenan ends up in the NFL as well....either way, I love watching the Riders squirm just to field 7 Nats. I have never seen a GM decimate a teams overall NAT talent so quickly. Not all of it his fault, but he must wear it,

I agree with your assessment. Watson is way too expensive not to be a starter. I think they know that they are in tough with the ratio and needed to make this move. It would appear that Taman has given up hope of signing Heenan for the price tag he is willing to pay him. That could mean that Heenan ends up in the NFL as well....either way, I love watching the Riders squirm just to field 7 Nats. I have never seen a GM decimate a teams overall NAT talent so quickly. Not all of it his fault, but he must wear it,

Ever hear of Mike Kelly?

Taman's rational... He traded his 2nd round pick for an NI starter, which he'd never get with the 2nd round pick this year.   Fits in to his philosophy of taking a known starter rather than a possible future starter.  He dumped a receiver who couldn't crack the roster last year for a 3rd round pick this year.  

Frankly I'm surprised there isn't more angst around here.  Lots of folks thought Watson was a star in Winnipeg.... If he could only stay healthy.  Kinda like Buck and Neufeld.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.  Once a player's not a Bomber, all their negatives are highlighted on these forums.

Taman's rational... He traded his 2nd round pick for an NI starter, which he'd never get with the 2nd round pick this year.   Fits in to his philosophy of taking a known starter rather than a possible future starter.  He dumped a receiver who couldn't crack the roster last year for a 3rd round pick this year.  

Frankly I'm surprised there isn't more angst around here.  Lots of folks thought Watson was a star in Winnipeg.... If he could only stay healthy.  Kinda like Buck and Neufeld.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised though.  Once a player's not a Bomber, all their negatives are highlighted on these forums.

Tons of posters myself included have been advocating trading Watson for a return EXACTLY like the one we got for quite some time now. Even the Rider fans know this trade was a big win for the Bombers.

You're starting to slip. Your attempts to stir up arguments are usually less transparent.

implied-facepalm.jpg

What's the scoop on Bastien?

What's the scouting report on Bastien?

Here it is:

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2015/1/29_Lots_of_Movement.html

What do you think his pro potential is? Is he a guy who could possibly be a competent starter in a few years?

Yes, based on potential shown in the past. 

A year on the PR should move him closer to game ready. He should challenge for a 46 man roster spot. 

And from a Rider perspective, when boiled down what they really gave up was a PR player and dropped 11 spots in the draft to get Watson.  That isn't a break out the torches and pitchforks kind of deal.  The salary makes it a bit unpleasant and the injury history makes it a tougher sell to Rider fans, but I don't think I'd outright put goat horns on Taman over this one.  As much fun as it is to do.

What's the scoop on Bastien?

What's the scouting report on Bastien?

Here it is:

http://blog.ridleyscouting.com/Kent_Ridley_Thoughts/My_Thoughts/Entries/2015/1/29_Lots_of_Movement.html

What do you think his pro potential is? Is he a guy who could possibly be a competent starter in a few years?

Yes, based on potential shown in the past. 

A year on the PR should move him closer to game ready. He should challenge for a 46 man roster spot. 

Kind of like Brett Carter last year?  Would you agree with a Stoddard or Hargreaves comparison?

Frankly I'm surprised there isn't more angst around here. Lots of folks thought Watson was a star in Winnipeg.... If he could only stay healthy. Kinda like Buck and Neufeld. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Once a player's not a Bomber, all their negatives are highlighted on these forums.

You're starting to slip. Your attempts to stir up arguments are usually less transparent.

I mean everyone knew he would find a way to poo-poo on the trade but i agree, his attempt to bring others into his angst-flock seemed.. like he was going thru the motions lol..

RSEQ Football Player Profile: Kris Bastien, Concordia Stingers

These days it’s not easy to get a seat in the pressbox at Concordia Stadium because the CFL scouts are showing up in large numbers to check out Stinger receiver Kris Bastien.

The fourth-year veteran from St. Lambert, Que. is highly rated by the professional scouts and will likely be a first or second round pick in the 2014 draft.

“He’s pretty high on everyone’s list,” says Stinger head coach Gerry McGrath. “He’s a great receiver. He’s a good route runner, he has good speed, he’s strong, he catches the ball in traffic and he plays a physical game.

“He’s got a great aptitude for the game and he understands coverage.”

That’s pretty high praise from a veteran coach who has helped develop accomplished CFL receivers like Cory Watson, who is currently with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and André Bolduc, Denis Montana and Sylvain Girard – all of whom had outstanding careers with the Montreal Alouettes.

McGrath feels Bastien is ready to take his place along side Concordia’s famous alumni.

“I expect Kris to have an all-Canadian season,” says the coach. “He is our go-to guy. He makes our offence better.”

Bastien, who checks in at six foot three, 205 pounds, started the year with an exceptional performance in the preseason. He hauled in seven passes for 173 yards and two touchdowns in an exhibition game versus the Varsity Blues at University of Toronto on Aug. 18. He plans to keep playing at that level.

“Personally, I’d like to be first in Canada in yards per reception,” he says. “I’m prepared for it. I know I have to give 100 per cent on every snap and deliver on the field.”

The inside receiver is gracious when it comes to acknowledging his teammates’ contributions to his success, especially the work of veteran quarterback Reid Quest.

“The thing about Reid is he always comes through,” Bastien explains of his veteran pivot. “He’s a gamer. When he says ‘let’s go’ he’s going to give it everything.

“I feel like we have a strong chemistry. I know he’s going to put the ball in the right place and he knows I’m going to come down with it.”

Bastien also gives credit to the game of baseball for preparing him to play elite football.

“I learned a lot of skills from my time playing baseball,” he explains. “In baseball you are not always in the best position to make a play but you can adjust and come down with the ball. As a receiver, I feel I do well at tracking down the deep ball. That’s what separates me from the others.”

In 2012, Bastien struggled with injuries and although he appeared on four scoresheets he really only participated fully in two games. In his very limited playing time, he caught 13 passes for 301 yards and four touchdowns.

His career totals over his first three seasons in CIS football are 23 games, 74 receptions for 1178 yards and nine touchdowns. It will be exciting to watch and see what he can add to those totals in 2013.

Mike Kelly added to it. Taman already had this team in a mess when he departed after 2008.

He used our 4 draft picks to take Mike Morris, Adam Bestard, Peter Quinney, and Thaine Carter.  If those names aren't familiar, there's a pretty good reason.  They were terrible picks.

Some of that is shared with Taman, as he traded some of those 2009 picks.

Kelly let Gauthier, Koch, Picard and Goodspeed walk in free agency.  I know Goodspeed isn't a NI, but if I don't mention him, Kelly's "I think we can re-sign all four!" doesn't quite make sense.

Some of that is shared with Taman, as he could have extended these guys earlier.

Kelly claimed he was going to do a better job of hanging on to our draft picks than Taman ever did.  As I recall, we were still missing a pick in the 2013 draft from one of Kelly's many traded picks.

None of that is shared with Taman.

You'd have to do a pretty comprehensive essay to convince me Kelly added anything to this team other than bloated bombast, including the area of NI talent.

Mike Kelly added to it. Taman already had this team in a mess when he departed after 2008.

He used our 4 draft picks to take Mike Morris, Adam Bestard, Peter Quinney, and Thaine Carter.  If those names aren't familiar, there's a pretty good reason.  They were terrible picks.

Kelly let Gauthier, Koch, Picard and Goodspeed walk in free agency.  I know Goodspeed isn't a NI, but if I don't mention him, Kelly's "I think we can re-sign all four!" doesn't quite make sense.

Some of that is shared with Taman, as he could have extended these guys earlier.

Kelly claimed he was going to do a better job of hanging on to our draft picks than Taman ever did.  As I recall, we were still missing a pick in the 2013 draft from one of Kelly's many traded picks.

You'd have to do a pretty comprehensive essay to convince me Kelly added anything to this team other than bloated bombast, including the area of NI talent.

I feel like when he said "Mike Kelly added to it", he means he added to the problem, not to our NI depth.  But I could be wrong.

He mean Kelly added to the mess that Taman created.

Anf btw, I know you still feel the anger on Kelly's stupidities... but chill man! watch your blood pressure. :D

I feel like when he said "Mike Kelly added to it", he means he added to the problem, not to our NI depth.  But I could be wrong.

Yes, thank you. The force is strong with this one...I'll be more careful next time to make sure even the obvious is spelled out for others.