Tweaking Our Current Receivers

BigBlue

When asked about Corey Watson getting downfield more often, Michael O'Shea said he is very often kept in because he is an excellent blocker. When we drafted Fitzgerald it was in part because he has excellent hands. For the life of me I cannot understand why we don't put Fitzgerald into the lineup in situations other than double tights. It seems like coaches and coordinators get fixations in their head and have certain players slotted into certain roles… They don't seem to be able to think even slightly outside that fixation box.

Playing Fitzgerald in Watson's current role would free up Watson to be our best downfield receiver. It would even allow us one more starting Canadian on offense. In turn that would allow us to dress one more import on the defensive side of the ball.

We have seen so many Canadians step up and play beyond their recognized skill level, Bucknor being one example.

Am I the lone wolf in the wilderness cheering for Fitzgerald as a starter at slotback ... is there no good reason?

Anybody else have any good ideas (or bad) to improve our receiving core?

At the beginning of the season we were doing a great job of spreading the ball around to different receivers and the route patterns looked like they were being run with good timing so that receivers were where they needed to be at the right times. It looked to me like the patterns were designed to compliment each other.

Now it looks like we're trying to force throws into places where the receiver's body control hasn't been maintained being pushed of his route in some way or where keys blocks haven't been established.

We are also very poor at execution is some packages. Our basic screen package is horrid and we often loose yards when tossing wide side to Grigsby or Denmark because the defenders break away quicker than we can block them.

I asked O'Shea this question a few weeks ago. He basically said that Fitzgerald has trouble getting open as a receiver because he isn't fast enough.

I thought it was a pretty lame response but I didn't challenge him on it. My thinking is it's the OCs job to create schemes to get players open in space if they can't create separation themselves.

I definitely don't think it's an OC's job to take a FB, line him up at receiver, and then create a scheme for him to be open (other than perhaps once every other few games where he takes off out of no where for a first down, which is exactly what they've been doing).

Fitzgerald was a slotback in college. He has very good hands. Coaching staff should be taking advantage of this and creating situations for players to use their skills and strengths.

On this weeks Coach's Show MOS had a very similar response to a caller's question about occasionally using Pontbriand as a FB.  O'Shea said that they had no package in their playbook to accommodate such a setup, he then went on to obfuscate by pointing out how it didn't make sense to hand the ball off 3 yards deep in the backfield.

This tells me Marcel has a rigid playbook that doesn't easily accommodate adjustment either in personnel or play during an entire season much less being able to make adjustments on the fly during a game.

On this weeks Coach's Show MOS had a very similar response to a caller's question about occasionally using Pontbriand as a FB. O'Shea said that they had no package in their playbook to accommodate such a setup, he then went on to obfuscate by pointing out how it didn't make sense to hand the ball off 3 yards deep in the backfield.

This tells me Marcel has a rigid playbook that doesn't easily accommodate adjustment either in personnel or play during an entire season much less being able to make adjustments on the fly during a game.

Yep I heard that and I thought it was a terrible response by O'Shea. Pontbriand could be that big bruising RB that'll get you 5 yards every time, that we so desperately need. And O'Shea just responds, "that's not on the playbook". Well get it in the playbook then!

There's no such thing as a fullback that gets you 5 yards every time.

And if there was, it sure wouldn't be a 30+ year old career special teams player who excels with the ball in somebody else's hands.

I wouldn't mind see Pointbriand getting more involved in the offence... watching him steam-roll T-Brack a few weeks ago was a thing of beauty... but I'm thinking more like 5 plays a game and the occasional short yardage hand-off

I definitely don't think it's an OC's job to take a FB, line him up at receiver, and then create a scheme for him to be open (other than perhaps once every other few games where he takes off out of no where for a first down, which is exactly what they've been doing).

Fitzgerald was a slotback in college. He has very good hands. Coaching staff should be taking advantage of this and creating situations for players to use their skills and strengths.

The guy is listed at over 250 lbs.   He's heavier than every player on our team that isn't a DT or OL.   Playing him as a TE on blocking schemes would seem to be using his skills and strengths.   If he slips out for the occasional pass so be it.    Zero chance he's going out in patterns on a 5 receiver set.    

What are the thoughts out there on playing JFG over Romby, and if a national receiver goes down you put Bryant in then. Bryant hasn't seemed to do very much this year, and when JFG was on the field he was making more plays than I recall Bryant making. I'm far from an expert, so don't crucify me if this is a terrible idea, but it just seems JFG was earning his playing time early in the season.

What are the thoughts out there on playing JFG over Romby, and if a national receiver goes down you put Bryant in then. Bryant hasn't seemed to do very much this year, and when JFG was on the field he was making more plays than I recall Bryant making. I'm far from an expert, so don't crucify me if this is a terrible idea, but it just seems JFG was earning his playing time early in the season.

No its a fantastic idea, especially given our ratio problems and one that many of us here have suggested time and time again. 

On this weeks Coach's Show MOS had a very similar response to a caller's question about occasionally using Pontbriand as a FB. O'Shea said that they had no package in their playbook to accommodate such a setup, he then went on to obfuscate by pointing out how it didn't make sense to hand the ball off 3 yards deep in the backfield.

Yep I heard that and I thought it was a terrible response by O'Shea. Pontbriand could be that big bruising RB that'll get you 5 yards every time, that we so desperately need. And O'Shea just responds, "that's not on the playbook". Well get it in the playbook then!

There is no way on God's green earth that Pontbriand gets you 5 yards every time.

No its a fantastic idea, especially given our ratio problems and one that many of us here have suggested time and time again. 

Not to mention JFG and Willy seem to have some chemistry, where Bryant and Willy obviously do not.  I really don't know why they haven't at least given this a shot.

I asked O'Shea this question a few weeks ago. He basically said that Fitzgerald has trouble getting open as a receiver because he isn't fast enough.

I thought it was a pretty lame response but I didn't challenge him on it. My thinking is it's the OCs job to create schemes to get players open in space if they can't create separation themselves.

Or just not use the player in that role if he doesn't have the ability to do it.

Again referring to the last Coach's Show, O'Shea explained that Romby is here because of his speed and his ability to outrun coverage.  He has shown flashes of in past games but  I think the real problem with Romby has been getting on the same page with Willy and developing timing.  Willy has been off on most of his long balls and corner routes since the second game of the season and not just with Romby.

There's no such thing as a fullback that gets you 5 yards every time.

And if there was, it sure wouldn't be a 30+ year old career special teams player who excels with the ball in somebody else's hands.

I wouldn't mind see Pointbriand getting more involved in the offence... watching him steam-roll T-Brack a few weeks ago was a thing of beauty... but I'm thinking more like 5 plays a game and the occasional short yardage hand-off

People saw that and figured he might be the second coming of Mike Sellers.  Um, nope.  I like Pontbriand a lot, he contributes a ton to special teams and adds value in some packages on offense.  Most of his successes on offense are a result of being forgotten.

The caller was arguing that since Messam is a fullback and Pontbriand is a fullback, we should be using Pontbriand like Messam.  Everyone here knows enough about football that I don't have to explain why that is wrong.  I hope.

Despite the warm fuzzy memories of Mike Sellers that everyone has, including me, he wasn't that difficult to stop behind the line.  He had a wide body and didn't get up to his top speed in just 2 steps.  If the hole was big enough that his feet didn't have to stutter step, he could carry a couple of defenders once he got past the line of scrimmage.  He was a strong man.  But in the backfield?  Not that difficult to stop.  He wasn't automatic on 2nd and 2.

Fitzgerald in the slot makes no sense. You have to put a guy like that in a position closer to line of scrimmage so he can leak out into coverage. He gets open due to deception.

The benefits of taking our weapons off the field so we can get the ball to our ham and eggers instead are pretty limited.