Tweaking Our Current Receivers

BigBlue

I'm not saying give Fitzgerald 10 looks per game or Pontbriand 15 touches per game. I would like to see them get the ball 2-3 times a game instead of once every second game. So just a little more. Good things always seem to happen when we go to them (i.e. first downs). And like I said earlier, keeping defenses off balance opens things up elsewhere for the offense throughout the game.

I don't know if your tendency breakers should ever become tendencies.

Believe someone posted it already but if you go to those guys more than once, they probably don't get open, they are left open because they aren't real threats, they don't have the speed to beat guys one on one, they are only open cuz the other teams lets them be open. Cuz those guys aren't gonna break 5 tackles and bust 50 yards down field to the house. 

I'm not saying give Fitzgerald 10 looks per game or Pontbriand 15 touches per game. I would like to see them get the ball 2-3 times a game instead of once every second game. So just a little more. Good things always seem to happen when we go to them (i.e. first downs). And like I said earlier, keeping defenses off balance opens things up elsewhere for the offense throughout the game.

I don't know if your tendency breakers should ever become tendencies.

Believe someone posted it already but if you go to those guys more than once, they probably don't get open, they are left open because they aren't real threats, they don't have the speed to beat guys one on one, they are only open cuz the other teams lets them be open. Cuz those guys aren't gonna break 5 tackles and bust 50 yards down field to the house.

That was me. And I said it before mike and gbill and I want my ******* cookie

I like Pontbriand and Fitzgerald but... I think they are nothing more than good blockers and solid special teams players.. They are good foot soldiers i guess you can say but that's about it. I think Pontbriand is a very good special teams player and is also the captain, I think they are in the roles that suits their talent (or lack there of) the best.  IMO, Fitzgerald is a very replaceable player on the team, Pontbriand? replaceable but not as much as he seems to be one of those heart and soul type of players and a leader. 

Well if we had better blocking maybe Willy would still be in one piece. I can understand that Moore & Denmark & Kelly & Grigsby are the main targets and the big play guys but if you don't have anyone to get them the ball it's pointless anyways.

I like Pontbriand and Fitzgerald but... I think they are nothing more than good blockers and solid special teams players.. They are good foot soldiers i guess you can say but that's about it. I think Pontbriand is a very good special teams player and is also the captain, I think they are in the roles that suits their talent (or lack there of) the best.  IMO, Fitzgerald is a very replaceable player on the team, Pontbriand? replaceable but not as much as he seems to be one of those heart and soul type of players and a leader. 

Well if we had better blocking maybe Willy would still be in one piece. I can understand that Moore & Denmark & Kelly & Grigsby are the main targets and the big play guys but if you don't have anyone to get them the ball it's pointless anyways.

Willy got hurt on his own and I'm not sure how you don't understand that. The reality of this is simple, Pontbriand and Fitzgerald are good role players, but that's all they are and all they ever will be. This isn't a shot at them but fact is, they aren't that good actually. Willy hurt himself. Putting that on anyone other than Willy is ridiculous. 

Willy got hurt on his own and I'm not sure how you don't understand that. The reality of this is simple, Pontbriand and Fitzgerald are good role players, but that's all they are and all they ever will be. This isn't a shot at them but fact is, they aren't that good actually. Willy hurt himself. Putting that on anyone other than Willy is ridiculous. 

The pocket collapsed and he had to step up, maintain a pocket for him to stand and wait for a receiver to open up and it's all good. Willy is pocket passing QB not some demolition man like Riley & Buck. Priority #1 with him should be protection and that means a pocket to throw from.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron Kelly shows up like once or t wice every month or so, Hardly reliable and hardly our best receiver.. Denmark is way more reliable and way better than Kelly. Kelly goes MIA too many games in a row. Then shows up one week and then doesnt the next several, he's inconsistent at best. 

He was injured and out of the lineup, last 3 games since he's been back:

AK:   19 - 210

CD:  14 - 153

You are cherry picking the stats there a little too much

in 2 of those games he had 16 catches 190 yards... the other game,  3 catches for 20 yards

5 for 100

3 for 63

1 for 9

7 for 101

1 for 11

3 for 21

7 for 96

3 for 20

9 for 94

Not exactly consistent and reliable. 

Has a big game then goes MIA for a while. 

I've also noticed that Kohlert has gone quiet and I can't tell if it's because he's not getting open or not thrown to.  Also we need to find a way to get Watson and JFG more balls.  Relying on Denmark and Kelly is limiting the effectiveness of the offence. 

If you look at BLM, Ricky Ray and Durant.  Their offences are most effective when they utilize all their targets.  

Maybe if we could get the one receiver who is stuck in the sick bay onto the field most of the problems discussed here would be solved. 

Just a thought.

I agree completely. Kelly,Bryant,Denmark,Watson,Kohlert don't scare anyone. Put moore in instead of Romby and you got a pretty solid group there. Moore is also the big play guy so having him not in the lineup means teams can concentrate more on the other guys (mainly denmark) 

I hope Walters is shopping Watson heavily heading towards the trade deadline.  He's pretty close to the end of his useful career as a CFL receiver IMO.  He might bounce around for another 3-4 years, but he's not going to be a top NI target.  I could see Montreal and Toronto both being pretty interested, although Toronto has done a good job of drafting NI receivers, and they might prefer a guy like Adjei to Watson.  Saskatchewan might be interested too with Getzlaf slumping and a few of their regular NI contributors on offence on IR.

Kelly is a modern day Chris Brazell. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Watson being traded at this point either. I personally think it would've been a good idea at this point last year. I'd rather run with Kohlert and JFG. Watson is getting older, has a decent salary and is injury prone. But he does have the right passport, so trading him and getting something of value would be nice.

I'd keep Watson. We keep talking about CDN depth and how in need of it we are. Let's not get rid of it where we have it.

Receiver is the one position where I think we're okay. I wouldn't move Watson until the off season, but if we can trade him for a draft pick and then sign and/or draft a serviceable backup to Kohlert & JFG why not do it?