Tweaking Our Current Receivers

BigBlue

JFG has performed admirably for us this year. He is not as good as Watson though. A lot of people are saying that Watson is no good but that simply isn't accurate. He hasn't, admittedly, been lighting it up but he certainly isn't bad. I find it somewhat amusing that we rail on the production of Watson but give Kohlert a free pass on his lack of production. It makes no sense. Both receivers are doing the job we ask of them. They are not primary threats in our offence but did anyone expect them to be?

Yes.  I expect Watson to be our 3rd receiver, which in an offence that is producing loads of 300 yard plus passing games with the #1 receiver out, should result in some production from him.  His production is more what I'd expect from Kohlert, who is playing the field WR, about 500 yards over 18 games.  Hard to believe that's the production we're getting from a guy who is in the slot every down.

I mean, we can't see the film the coaches do and really pick it apart, but something is up.  Either Bellefeuille just doesn't use Watson, which seems ridiculous to me given the state of our receiving crew without Moore and the amount of snaps he plays, or Watson isn't making plays.

The problem is that Watson is declining though. He's a starting NI today, and even at that he'd be low on most teams list with everyone healthy. He can be a good player still, but it's going downhill quick, he's 30 with a huge injury history. I've seen the 2011-2012 Watson a few times this season, mostly in game 1 before he got injured again, but not enough to look at him as a guy I'd rely on moving forward. I don't think we can look at him as a top NI target anymore and if he is ours, we better have a lot of good imports or we are screwed anyways. We are basically in a spot where we need to replace him either way, with someone already on the roster or from somewhere else. If a desperate team wants to give us a shot at adding quality Canadian depth in probably the deepest draft we'll ever see with 9 teams picking, I wouldn't hesitate.

"The problem is that Watson is declining though" I disagree ... good as ever