Free Agency Day - Non-Bombers CFL News

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I wonder if any teams have made an offer to Bailey.

My bet is they are all waiting to see if he sits long enough to take some thing with in 10k of min. 

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I've split out the discussion on Winnipeg and urban decay to this topic

Rip topic. But atleast thread is back on the rails lol. 

we need to sign some one before we get into civic planning and walkable cities. I’ll never find my way out of that rabbet hole. 

with white gone I wonder if baileys market is gonna move up now. Is any one still missing a no2 imp wr? 

6 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

So this 12k promo money is from a seperate fund that teams pay players for appearances etc. Teams need to spend atleast 110k but there is No maximum for this fund.

Yet another CFL policy that fans are left in the dark on. What would prevent the Bombers from paying Brandy 100k for player appearances and allocate part of his salary to someone else?

Edited by WinnipegGordo

Just now, WinnipegGordo said:

So this 12k promo money is from a seperate fund that teams pay players for appearances etc. Teams need to spend atleast 110k but there is maximum for this fund.

Yet another CFL policy that fans are left in the dark on. What would prevent the Bombers from paying Brandy 100k for player appearances and allocate part of his salary to someone else?

Trust me , we use it. 

13 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

So this 12k promo money is from a seperate fund that teams pay players for appearances etc. Teams need to spend atleast 110k but there is maximum for this fund.

The sailors say Brandy....

49 minutes ago, bb1 said:

"Sigh" it would not surprise me if there are teams in the CFL that are shooting themselves in the foot. How do you justify a cap to the players if you circumvent it? Will they ever learn?

Expect billionaires like Larry Tanenbaum or Murray Edwards to complain they can't compete with clubs from smaller markets, and this loop-hole will be shut down within a season or two.  

On 2024-02-19 at 11:22 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't agree. The GC is finished by mid November. The weather isn't as cold as it used to be. Teams can still pass the ball without having to to rely on a grinding ground game on a frozen field anymore, although it doesn't hurt.

Pass - Run: who cares

November games hurt attendance and weaken the whole league ... many fans stay home when they would attend in May

MOVE THE GC TO THE 1ST SUNDAY IN NOVEMBER

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

November games hurt attendance and weaken the whole league ... many fans stay home when they would attend in May

What a weeny. Why not have the CFL merge with the UFL & play games in April? Have the championship in July? With fans like you that are afraid of a little cold that'll be the ultimate future of our league. Four down spring football will be all that's left. You can sit thru the spring snowstorms or the miserable drawn out cold springs.

8 hours ago, BigBlue said:

Nah, it’s fine the way it is. 
I’d even be ok with the playoffs in December like way back when.  

I mean, I’m in the minority I guess but I love cold weather football.
Nothing more Canadian than a 3pm start ending under the lights with snowflakes falling. 

Not to mention avoiding the weekly lightning delays that come with late spring/early summer games. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Nah, it’s fine the way it is. 
I’d even be ok with the playoffs in December like way back when.  

I mean, I’m in the minority I guess but I love cold weather football.
Nothing more Canadian than a 3pm start ending under the lights with snowflakes falling. 

Not to mention avoiding the weekly lightning delays that come with late spring/early summer games. 

Yup and a lot of football players would agree (at least the ones used to a cold climate) but also hate hate hate when extreme weather becomes the focal point minimizing how the highly skilled players can play.

Pros and cons for sure.

13 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The way I read into it is the Bombers shud be able to retain any player they want to bring back - unless its a player like Hardrick who got a large pay increase. 

Well it was mentioned that the reason we got Streveler so cheap was that he could earn a lot of money off the field in Winnipeg. I wonder if we threw him a bunch of 'promo" money?

13 hours ago, JCon said:

So, it's a soft cap now? This is bizarre. 

Somewhere in Regina, they're filling houses with bunk beds. We're back in business baby! 

It always has been a soft cap.

There's consequences for spending over the limit.

In hard capped leagues they literally start waiving players off the roster to make the team compliant if they are over (like the NHL).