2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

"Jake Thomas Clone" says Barker... Poor Booch.

That's a very good thing... as long as you're talking about the 24-30 year old version of Jake...

I don't pretend to know anything about the prospects but some of the resident experts around here seem to really like Brubacher... I wonder if we could've drafted the second round like this:

13 - Clercius
14 - Chris-Ike  Brubacher
17 - Wallace
20 - Samson   Chris-Ike

Still end up with WR, RB, OL, DL but potentially an upgrade at DL... just a thought

30 minutes ago, bearpants said:

That's a very good thing... as long as you're talking about the 24-30 year old version of Jake...

I don't pretend to know anything about the prospects but some of the resident experts around here seem to really like Brubacher... I wonder if we could've drafted the second round like this:

13 - Clercius
14 - Chris-Ike  Brubacher
17 - Wallace
20 - Samson   Chris-Ike

Still end up with WR, RB, OL, DL but potentially an upgrade at DL... just a thought

Brubacher is pure rush end and raw.  Would have been a fine pick, guy could end up being a star (could also stay where he is now, a guy who is an athlete but plays football completely upright relying on speed), doesn't seem to be what they were after for DL.  Samson is an interior player, looks like a guy who is much more ready to play pro.  Physical, gains leverage, low pad level.  If you watch that film clip of him uses he hands effectively to get off blocks, uses power and leverage too.  Great pursuit to the ball.

Samson is kind of a guy everyone forgot about because he didn't do the CFL combine circuit and did the UBC pro day instead.  But Bombers didn't forget about his East-West testing last year and his film.

I think Clercius and MCI make the AR this year and maybe Samson, although I don’t see them wanting to have 3 Canadian D tackles.

That’s good enough for me. Stick Wallace on the PR, hope he develops for 2025.

The rest, we’ll see. Maybe Hubert blows them away at camp and gets Bennett out of here as a rotational piece. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd be blown away if the Bombers use Clercius as they did Bailey. Well this year anyway. I don't see any way we go 3 CND rec with only 1 for depth. 

Think of Clercius as depth but also him and Chris-Ike as replacements for Mike Miller/Damian Jackson on O.  Let's hope they can be effective role players immediately.  Also BOLO replacement and cover in case Augustine hangs them up.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think Clercius and MCI make the AR this year and maybe Samson, although I don’t see them wanting to have 3 Canadian D tackles.

The rest, we’ll see. Maybe Hubert blows them away at camp and gets Bennett out of here as a rotational piece. 

I can't see both Clercius and Chris-Ike not being on the roster.  They need to backfill BOLO.  I guess Murphy could be the guy.  Probably won't be dressing 7 OL either.

So we filled the loss of BOLO, Filled the "loss" of Damian Jackson with a CDN, added some depth along both lines...no stand-out starts but depth that we hope one or two turn into staters one day....overall IMO a good draft when stepping back and looking at it. We didn't get any of the "sexy" name picks but IF the big name OL we took a flyer on ever comes up North.....

IMO no big swings, no immediate impact but just a good overall draft.

12 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

You can't complain about taking Manu in the 5th at 46 overall. 

FYI recent Winnipeg 5th rounders include Chris Ciguneau, Kyle Borsa and Nicholas Dheilly.

This is exactly why I like the Manu pick... worst case scenario he never comes north and he is exactly like the players listed above... best case scenario, he shows up here in a few years and we have a very good Canadian that can play tackle...

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ya I agree Clercius and Mike-Ike seem like picks ready to jump onto the roster for STs right away.

Samson could get on the roster for some games I would think. Schmekel played some last year and could definitely up grade over him. 

Maybe they go all american rotation at DE and more Cdn rotation at DT

9 minutes ago, bearpants said:

This is exactly why I like the Manu pick... worst case scenario he never comes north and he is exactly like the players listed above... best case scenario, he shows up here in a few years and we have a very good Canadian that can play tackle...

For sure. It is a 5th round pick. Most guys picked there are never playing. 

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Not sure how much he has left but this is a big signing for Lions

Only 30 but over 100 nfl games. Man if he’s got any thing left that’s massive. I’d love to have him here. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Chandler Worthy cut buy MTL...wouldn't mind having him here for TC

I’d take him but I’m sure we won’t even investigate. Sounded like Walters couldn’t imagine a way of fitting grant back in the budget. 

elk cut makonzo too. He’s solid especially as depth some one will grab him. 

Really enjoyed hearing Walters talk about the depth they added in the draft, but also about some of the guys that were drafted in previous years that they expect are going to make an impact both at role positions and special teams

Clercius, MCI, Ford (I know he did play for us but he's an improvement), Charboneau, Kelly (stepping up to AR), MacDougall. Not to mention the global guys who will be competing for the last "Canadian" spot.

And we only really lost Briggs, Miller (who wasn't actually playing) and Exume?

Our special teams have to be better this year, right? 

22 hours ago, bearpants said:

Reminds me of the year the Riders picked David Onyamata later in the draft.  A gamble that never paid off but no real damage.

14 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Really enjoyed hearing Walters talk about the depth they added in the draft, but also about some of the guys that were drafted in previous years that they expect are going to make an impact both at role positions and special teams

Clercius, MCI, Ford (I know he did play for us but he's an improvement), Charboneau, Kelly (stepping up to AR), MacDougall. Not to mention the global guys who will be competing for the last "Canadian" spot.

Need a better punter, though.  Tough to cover this line drive kicks.

20 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Argo’s announce co defensive co-ordinators. Never works out well. 

I can't recall it ever happening before. Odd indeed.

11 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Reminds me of the year the Riders picked David Onyamata later in the draft.  A gamble that never paid off but no real damage.

Need a better punter, though.  Tough to cover this line drive kicks.

The year the Riders picked Onyemata was different than us taking a flyer on Manu. They had very poor NAT starters and depth and only had a few picks that year. It was a dumb choice by them given the circumstances. For us, having 10 draft picks, a flyer/future pick or two was almost compulsory  because there is no way we can roster 10 new NATs anyway. I guess my point is that whether or not a flyer is an acceptable pick or not isn't so much what round it was done, although that's a factor, it can be a good pick or bad pick based on team need for players as well.

Edited by GCn20

18 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Not sure how much he has left but this is a big signing for Lions

IF Covington comes back with the right attitude and work ethic, he will be a very tough guy to play against. If he is Mr. I used to be in the NFL so I am above the need to put in effort, then he will be added to the list of players that came from the NFL and flamed out. I hope it's the latter, because if it's the former the Leos DL just got scary again.

26 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Our STs will be better by default, because last year they weren't very good. Adding better players and depth will help, but really I expected out STs to be much better pre-draft. Now I am quite certain that they will be much better.

Kelly should have been on active roster all year long....when he was on he was one the top ST guys we employed....losing games for the likes of Schmeckle...That Oline guy we dressed earlier in the yr for no particular reason...Named started with an S....thats how much an impact he made on my mind....Bennett...who better really bring it and show he belongs, or be cut in camp....just a complete head shaker...almost on par with the Jackson lunacy....so odd he hasn't been scooped up for his stellar DI use elsewhere...tells you something especially with a few real weak sisters in the league