2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

How do you manage to spell Ferguson three different ways in the same post? 

yeah my bad. fixed  it....sorry if you got confused on who I meant....

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Ottawa doesnt have a national receiver on their roster that caught more than 1 pass ly, do you think they will pass on Mital and/or Mardner?

Duncan-Busby is the next best but there is a noticable drop off (Hodge has him 15 , Ferguson 17 pick) Ferguson doesn't have Ottawa picking a receiver in any of their 2 picks

They certainly could have a need there but their roster isn't really setup for needing a national receiver - they use the ratio elsewhere (at least they did last year). 

And if you're looking for immediate production out of a Canadian receiver, the draft probably isn't the best place to look.  No matter who they draft, they still end up with only one NI receiver with more than 1 catch last year. 

It would be insanity if Dublanko doesn’t go first overall … what more could you really ask for? Maybe he’s not the next Singleton but if he is? And he’s ready to be here? Easy pick.

I think the next 5-6 picks after that probably consist of a couple offensive linemen (maybe Dumoulin, maybe Wallace or Hergel, NFL depending) as well as Mardner, maybe Mital and a guy like Cantin-Arku or even possibly Brubacher.

When it comes around to us, I’d love to see us take whoever’s left between Wallace or Hergel (dream scenario right here) or potentially Brubacher, although I can see us being interested in a versatile guy like Labrosse too - he may fall more in line in that awkward range of picks between our first and second though.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Hodge has his 2nd mock up - has Dublanko first now which makes more sense.  Still has us listed with a glaring need at FB though.  Pete oops, I mean Hodge, also now has Ottawa taking a receiver with both of their first 2 picks. 😂

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/04/john-hodges-2024-cfl-mock-draft-2-0/

We know John "The Pete" Hodge reads MBB. ;) 

I watched every game for one RSEQ team for the last 4 years, and am in no way an actual football scout, but here's my take on some of the RSEQ players:

Ben Labrosse and Kevin Mital - they are two of the three best football players I've seen in the RSEQ. The other was Josh Archibald, now on the BC Lions. Labrosse and Mital will definitely make CFL rosters this season. Both should be impact players in the CFL.

Nathaniel Dumolin-Duguay - He's at least a backup guard in the CFL now, starter down the road. Laval OL are really well prepared to play at the next level, providing they have the size, athleticism, which he does.

Dawson Pierre - Hodge has him going in the 4th round. If a team gets him in the 4th round they've scored. I'd be shocked if he doesn't have a decent CFL career. Special team player at a minimum. Every game I watched he made an impact. Totally disruptive force on D. Draft writers talk about him playing in the box in the CFL. I think he could stick with safety, be a Taylor Loffler type. I'm a big fan of his. 

Frédérik Antoine - Depending on the team, I think he could make a roster next season. Laval's offense was so good he probably didn't stand out as much as he could have on another team. Fast, smooth, good hands. Had a good combine. 

Edited by M.Silverback

Mital and Labrosse, moreso than most, will just depend on having a team fall in love with them. I wouldn’t be surprised if they both went before we picked in the first and I wouldn’t be surprised if one was available at our second pick. Very intriguing guys, I’d be happy if we took either

Brubacher falls in the same category I think and maybe Una

This draft appears to be much stronger in depth than recent years, we should be able to get 3 good players.

By the way good post M Silverback, interesting to get an informed take, I'll probably use it in my next 3 down article😉

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Hodge has his 2nd mock up - has Dublanko first now which makes more sense.  Still has us listed with a glaring need at FB though.  Pete oops, I mean Hodge, also now has Ottawa taking a receiver with both of their first 2 picks. 😂

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/04/john-hodges-2024-cfl-mock-draft-2-0/

I wonder what is historically a worse pick in the first round of the cfl draft, a fb or a wr. Fb is probably worse but not by that much I imagine. 
 I’d be fine if we took two ol instead of ol and fb even. We need a wr or two but I don’t think it needs to be a huge investment. 

in 2022 Jalen Philpot, Tyson Philpot, And Samuel Emilus were all chosen in the first round.(all turned out to be good picks) Its been a long time since a fb was selected.

17 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Chris Jones is an idiot sometimes, but I don’t see how they pass on Dublanko

I agree with Marshall’s prediction of Bombers taking Hergel. He seems to have the attitude and physicality to fit in here. 

If Wallace slides, maybe but I’d figure him to be on an NFL PR for at least a year or 2. 

Hergel won't be up here either.  I think we'll be picking mostly from players who attended the combine.

I actually think the Hodge 2.0 mock is kindof good and much better than his 1.0 or Marshall Ferguson's flaming pile of let's call it work.

There will always be issues with a mock draft and fullback certainly isn't a glaring issue the team has to address in round 1. Ideally would hope they wouldn't take a RB or FB so early but if Chris-Ike was taken at 17 after his combine numbers I wouldn't be too shocked or upset. He will probably never be a stud RB but if he can fill in as a backup RB and starting FB while becoming a star special teams player that is valuable

14 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

I actually think the Hodge 2.0 mock is kindof good and much better than his 1.0 or Marshall Ferguson's flaming pile of let's call it work.

There will always be issues with a mock draft and fullback certainly isn't a glaring issue the team has to address in round 1. Ideally would hope they wouldn't take a RB or FB so early but if Chris-Ike was taken at 17 after his combine numbers I wouldn't be too shocked or upset. He will probably never be a stud RB but if he can fill in as a backup RB and starting FB while becoming a star special teams player that is valuable

I’ll give credit where credit is due. I think he’s off in a few places, but I don’t see a ton to criticize with his 2.0 mock. 

31 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

I'd be a lot less critical of these articles if they explained their rational a bit more - even if I don't agree with where they have a guy going, at least let me see the thought process behind it.

I think it would be especially valuable for Hodge since he does multiple mocks and some of his picks change drastically.  Like how does he have a guy like Straker going from being his projected 3rd overall pick to 20th?  Or how does he have Kevens Clercius jumping up 12 spots from 23rd to 11th? 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

in 2022 Jalen Philpot, Tyson Philpot, And Samuel Emilus were all chosen in the first round.(all turned out to be good picks) Its been a long time since a fb was selected.

How many combined receiving yards do the philpots have in their career 900? 500 combined last year? Between the 6 years of all three they have what 2k yards? Considering that’s the best first round for WRs in the league in about a decade that’s not much of an endorsement. Not many firsts have been wasted on FBs atleast. Wr is a trap pick in the first round of the cfl draft. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

How many combined receiving yards do the philpots have in their career 900? 500 combined last year? Between the 6 years of all three they have what 2k yards? Considering that’s the best first round for WRs in the league in about a decade that’s not much of an endorsement. Not many firsts have been wasted on FBs atleast. Wr is a trap pick in the first round of the cfl draft. 

I believe your question was "I wonder what is historically a worse pick in the first round of the cfl draft, a fb or a wr.?"

Tyson Philpot 532 yds ly, 459 yds in  2022 so basically a thousand yards by himself, and the gamebreaking play against us in the grey cup

Jalen Philpot hurt in 2023   317yd  in 2022 also returned 21 kickoffs for 573 yards and a league-leading 27.3-yard average, 

Emililus   1097 yards ly

If you look at the last 4 drafts there is a lot of less than stellar picks at most positions except fb because none were chosen It all boils down to the individual player ie Demski, Emilus, Gittens jr are all top players and being paid as such

Edited by Pete