2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

On 2024-04-25 at 2:12 PM, JuranBoldenRules said:

Here's a cut at a 2 round mock draft.  Taking realistic projection on guys who are going to be in NFL.

1. Edmonton- Curtis Dublanko LB

2. Ottawa- Dumoulin-Duguay OL 

3. Sask- Kevin Mital Receiver

4. Calgary- Tyson Hergott DE

5. Toronto- Kevens Clercius Receiver

6. BC- Luke Brubacher DE

7. Hamilton- Michael Chris-Ike RB

8. Winnipeg- George Una OL

9. Montreal- Benjamin Labrosse DB

10. Edmonton- Gabe Wallace OL

11. Ottawa- Geoffrey Cantin-Arku LB

12. Sask- Daniel Okpoko DL

13. Calgary- Nick Mardner Receiver

14. Calgary- Kyle Hergel OL

15. BC- Christy Nkanu OL

16. Hamilton- Owen Mueller OL

17. Winnipeg- Melique Straker LB 

18. Edmonton- D'Sean Mimbs Receiver

19. BC- Theo Benedet OL

20. Winnipeg- Jared Chisari RB

Mital is definitely going to Ottawa.  That is their weakest position.  Plus this draft is loaded at the offensive line.

Wallace will probably go to Saskatchewan at 3, to compete at LG and RG with Rider's.

Don't see a running back going in round 1.  Ti-Cats have depth issues at MLB and Safety.  Defensive back is a area of strength in this draft, but Labrosse could be the pick.

Like the other picks though.  Especially Hergott and Brubacher going in round one.

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Mullinder is an idiot.

Randomly listened to Riders games driving through the gap a vouple times and I was shocked by how bad Mullinder was at his job.

Openly whining like a baby, poor enunciation, talking over others. Obviously a homer too.

SK media seems really bush league as a whole. But at least they're on the right track and Ballsy is out. That's a good start 

8 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Randomly listened to Riders games driving through the gap a vouple times and I was shocked by how bad Mullinder was at his job.

Openly whining like a baby, poor enunciation, talking over others. Obviously a homer too.

SK media seems really bush league as a whole. But at least they're on the right track and Ballsy is out. That's a good start 

If Mullinder is picking them 4th then they will finish near last. Last year he had them winning the Grey Cup.

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

I am hoping for Bosse, with our coaching i think we could develop this guy.

I’d be happy with him in a none 1st or 2nd round pick. The drop off from the guys who will likely be available in the first like duguay to Bosse is step. With another drop off from guys who will be in the nfl for a couple years. 
 I think Bosse is a guy who will be reached for though. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

Mital is definitely going to Ottawa.  That is their weakest position.  Plus this draft is loaded at the offensive line.

Wallace will probably go to Saskatchewan at 3, to compete at LG and RG with Rider's.

Don't see a running back going in round 1.  Ti-Cats have depth issues at MLB and Safety.  Defensive back is a area of strength in this draft, but Labrosse could be the pick.

Like the other picks though.  Especially Hergott and Brubacher going in round one.

I think duguay will go over Wallace. Given the current 5 of the top 10 ol being gone, maybe one more signs in the nfl, Bosse would be the 4th best ol that would be in the league and available. I’d rather take a shot on a guy with an nfl deal than use a first on Bosse. 
 Dobson came in about 15 too heavy, Bosse is a handy 20-30 above that, with a fraction of the athleticism. 

I think the threat to an ol going to ssk or mitel going to ott is arku or Dublanko if edm gets crazy. 

It’s a great OL class.  So great it might produce 4 NFLers.

I actually think the guy most likely to end up without NFL work is Benedet but he’s been pretty staunch about pursuing the NFL so I don’t think he’ll be back soon.  They also have 15 guy PR’s now so hard to get guys back.

I think Hergel will stick.  Will develop as a center who can play all over if needed.

3DN did a live 2 round mock draft yesterday and I thought it was a good listen.  They had Hodge, Abbott & Ben Grant each picking for 3 teams over the first two rounds.  It was interesting for me since we now have a better idea about NFL prospects and the fact that they were picking against each other, it forced them to change their picks on the fly if someone they had lined up was taken as GM's would in real life.

Here's how they picked: 

Round 1               

1) Edmonton - Joel Dublanco, LB - Cincinnati (Hodge)

2) Ottawa - Kevin Mital, WR - Laval (Grant)

3) Saskatchewan - Geoffrey Cantin-Arku, LB - Memphis (Abbott)

4) Calgary - Nathaniel Dumoulin-Dugay, OL - Laval (Hodge)

5) Toronto - Kyle Hergl, OL - Boston College (Grant)

6) BC - Benjamin Labrosse, DB - McGill (Abbott)

7) Hamilton - Daniel Opoko, DL - San Diego State (Grant)

8) Winnipeg - George Una, OL - Windsor (Hodge)

9) Montreal - Christy Nkannu, OL - Washington State (Abbott)

Round 2

10) Edmonton - Nick Mardner, WR - Auburn (Hodge)

11) Ottawa - Gabe Wallace, OL - Buffalo (Grant)

12) Saskatchewan - Luke Brubacher, DL - Wilfred Laurier (Abbott)

13) Calgary - Tyson Hergott, DL - Waterloo (Hodge)

14) Calgary - Christophe Beaulieu, DB - Laval (Hodge)

15) BC - John Bosse, OL - Calgary (Abbott)

16) Hamilton - Kevens Clercius, WR - Connecticut (Grant)

17) Winnipeg - Theo Benedet, OL - UBC (Hodge)      

18) Edmonton - Michael Chris-Ike, RB - Delaware State (Hodge)

19) BC - Nick Wiebe - LB Saskatchewan (Abbott)

20) Winnipeg - Dhel Duncan-Busby, WR - Bemidji State (Hodge)

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/28/3downnation-podcast-2024-cfl-mock-draft-live/

Edited by bigg jay
added clarity

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

3DN did a live 2 round mock draft yesterday and I thought it was a good listen.  They had Hodge, Abbott & Ben Grant each picking for 3 teams over the first two rounds.  It was interesting for me since we now have a better idea about NFL prospects and the fact that they were picking against each other, it forced them to change their picks on the fly if someone they had lined up was taken as GM's would in real life.

Here's how they picked: 

Round 1               

1) Edmonton - Joel Dublanco (Hodge)

2) Ottawa - Kevin Mital (Grant)

3) Saskatchewan - Geoffrey Cantin-Arku (Abbott)

4) Calgary - Nathaniel Dumoulin-Dugay (Hodge)

5) Toronto - Kyle Hergl (Grant)

6) BC - Benjamin Labrosse (Abbott)

7) Hamilton - Daniel Opoko (Grant)

😎 Winnipeg - George Una (Hodge)

9) Montreal - Christy Nkannu (Abbott)

Round 2

10) Edmonton - Nick Mardner (Hodge)

11) Ottawa - Gabe Wallace (Grant)

12) Saskatchewan - Luke Brubacher (Abbott)

13) Calgary - Tyson Hergott (Hodge)

14) Calgary - Christophe Beaulieu (Hodge)

15) BC - John Bosse (Abbott)

16) Hamilton - Kevens Clercius (Grant)

17) Winnipeg - Theo Benedet (Hodge)      

18) Edmonton - Michael Chris-Ike (Hodge)

19) BC - Nick Wiebe (Abbott)

20) Winnipeg - Dhel Duncan-Busby (Hodge)

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/28/3downnation-podcast-2024-cfl-mock-draft-live/

I was reading the parentheses as College, and was wondering where Hodge University was.🤦‍♂️

Very interested to see Bombers pick.

I think aside from Dumoulin-Duguay there's not a lot to pick between the OL who will be available through about Round 3.  Nkanu is probably most pro ready but no upside at all.  But there's a lot of guys who could be significant players on D and at receiver available.  

Say with that 3Down mock exercise....if Brubacher is on the board for us in the first round I don't see them passing him over for a guy who probably isn't good enough to dress this year at OL.  Could grab a similar level of OL prospect at end of Round 2.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think aside from Dumoulin-Duguay there's not a lot to pick between the OL who will be available through about Round 3.  Nkanu is probably most pro ready but no upside at all.  But there's a lot of guys who could be significant players on D and at receiver available.  

Say with that 3Down mock exercise....if Brubacher is on the board for us in the first round I don't see them passing him over for a guy who probably isn't good enough to dress this year at OL.  Could grab a similar level of OL prospect at end of Round 2.

Agree with your last comment, but if the D-Line prospect from Saskatoon is available at 8 I'd be picking him ahead of Brubacher (I hear all the upside stuff and getting him would be great as well, but how long is he here before he explores NFL). Rec & Ol at 17 and 20, either way should get us a couple value prospects.

29 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Agree with your last comment, but if the D-Line prospect from Saskatoon is available at 8 I'd be picking him ahead of Brubacher (I hear all the upside stuff and getting him would be great as well, but how long is he here before he explores NFL). Rec & Ol at 17 and 20, either way should get us a couple value prospects.

No different than when we took Ford.  If he eventually receives legitimate NFL interest, he'll be allowed to explore it (either released by the club or as a FA).  Is it any more risky than drafting someone from another province and worrying about how long until they want to go play at home?

Wide Receiver is not a priority....D line is...I would rather go O Line than receiver seeing as it's a deep draft in that area....Why do various media types keep insisting we need someone else for Zack to throw to, when we are solid in that position

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That's an interesting insight on the OL and who might be there. I am assuming Brubacher would be good enough to be a rotational piece on the DL this year?

55 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

Well if you sign him he's here for 2 years same as anyone else.

10 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Wide Receiver is not a priority....D line is...I would rather go O Line than receiver seeing as it's a deep draft in that area....Why do various media types keep insisting we need someone else for Zack to throw to, when we are solid in that position

We for sure need a wr from the draft but it has no urgency of being an early pick. We need to get a rotational front 6 guy or two and the ol could just as well be a futures guy. That’s the one position we can draft a teams type guy at. 

4 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I agree that DL is more of a immediate priority but the draft isn't a great place to address immediate needs as there are very few players that can step right in and make an impact.  I mean we took Bennett because he was the most "pro-ready" DL available and we saw what he did.

The rational for a receiver isn't bad (IMO) and it's very similar to our OL needs.  We have aging players in both spots (Demski, Neufeld) that will need to be replaced at some point and we've lost a couple of depth guys (BOLO, Gray) so it makes sense to get a couple more guys in the pipeline. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We for sure need a wr from the draft but it has no urgency of being an early pick. We need to get a rotational front 6 guy or two and the ol could just as well be a futures guy. That’s the one position we can draft a teams type guy at. 

Agree, that was the major reason for my above suggestion for the D-Line pick @ 8. Okpoko can play inside or on the edge, the other two high end suggested prospects are edge/end type guys.

31 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

I agree that DL is more of a immediate priority but the draft isn't a great place to address immediate needs as there are very few players that can step right in and make an impact.  I mean we took Bennett because he was the most "pro-ready" DL available and we saw what he did.

The rational for a receiver isn't bad (IMO) and it's very similar to our OL needs.  We have aging players in both spots (Demski, Neufeld) that will need to be replaced at some point and we've lost a couple of depth guys (BOLO, Gray) so it makes sense to get a couple more guys in the pipeline. 

Last years draft was not a good one.

In terms of receiver/running back we want to start 3 Canadians there and we have 3 starting level players.  We need depth there today as well as thinking into next year and beyond.

Exact same issue with OL.

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Last years draft was not a good one.

In terms of receiver/running back we want to start 3 Canadians there and we have 3 starting level players.  We need depth there today as well as thinking into next year and beyond.

Exact same issue with OL.

We have just 2 guys for the 3 starters. One of which is Murphy who has I think 2? Games in the cfl. We could use 2-3 more bodies for camp. One maybe two could be late round or udfa.  But we need guys to develop to replace em. Can’t expect all 3 to play a full season.