2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

Longtime Stamps Left tackle Bruce Covernton passed away two days ago in his sleep. Apparently, he had a massive heart attack. He was only 57 years of age.

I knew Bruce as he coached with me at Centennial High School in 2008 here in Calgary.

Covernton was born in Morris, MB. After Covernton played HS football in Winnipeg, he attended Weber State & then was drafted by the Stamps in 1992. He played LT for them from 1992-98. Covernton was named the CFL's Western Division ROTY. Covernton was a CFL West Division All Star in 1993 & 94. He was named an All Canadian at Left Tackle in 1994. He was a two time Grey Cup Champion in 1992 & 98.

Upon retiring, Bruce took up permanent residence here. He was an entrepreneur & was active in local charities in Calgary. He founded a company that imported coffee from Columbia. Then Covernton bought a personnel staffing company & it was very successful. He was quite a character & will be missed.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

I actually think Fine would be an ok QB if you surrounded him with some protection and talent. I’d take him over dolegala and Cornelius any day but I doubt we had interest. Maybe. He does have potential but when’s the last time a qb In sask reached his potential. It’s been a while. Fine prob looks way better here. 

I actually think the same of Dolegala. To be honest he looked like he could have a decent ceiling on a team that isn’t trash. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

So you're saying the Strev is worth more than Brown? I can't see us dropping $290K+ hard money on Strev.

I'm saying he's better then Brown and once Zach retires I'd rather him over Brown. 

53 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I'm saying he's better then Brown and once Zach retires I'd rather him over Brown. 

Well, I massively disagree with your explanation, though I agreed with the original point. 

Assuming Zach plays the majority of games, Strev is so much more valuable to us than Brown. 

If we were replacing Zach, I want to roll with Brown (and still hopefully have Strev). 

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Good for Dru 

No. He’s dead to us all. Burn the stadium down. 

43 minutes ago, Tracker said:

We seem to be totally discounting Barriere as a possible Q2. His CV is impressive enough.

He’s been on the neg list for a while no? 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Longtime Stamps Left tackle Bruce Covernton passed away two days ago in his sleep. Apparently, he had a massive heart attack. He was only 57 years of age.

I knew Bruce as he coached with me at Centennial High School in 2008 here in Calgary.

Covernton was born in Morris, MB. After Covernton played HS football in Winnipeg, he attended Weber State & then was drafted by the Stamps in 1992. He played LT for them from 1992-98. Covernton was named the CFL's Western Division ROTY. Covernton was a CFL West Division All Star in 1993 & 94. He was named an All Canadian at Left Tackle in 1994. He was a two time Grey Cup Champion in 1992 & 98.

Upon retiring, Bruce took up permanent residence here. He was an entrepreneur & was active in local charities in Calgary. He founded a company that imported coffee from Columbia. Then Covernton bought a personnel staffing company & it was very successful. He was quite a character & will be missed.

Wasn't his nickname "Big Tuna" when he played or am I mistaken?

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

We seem to be totally discounting Barriere as a possible Q2. His CV is impressive enough.

I think Barriere has great upside, just not sure I would be comfortable with a raw rookie at number 2. However, if he wins the job he wins the job.

12 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

No. He’s dead to us all. Burn the stadium down. 

He’s been on the neg list for a while no? 

At least since 2019 - he may have come off and put back on at some point but the club has been watching/waiting for a few years now.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/08/15/negotiation-list-revealed/

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I think Barriere has great upside, just not sure I would be comfortable with a raw rookie at number 2. However, if he wins the job he wins the job.

Barriere looks to be the spittin' image of V.A., pocket passer with good mobility and a good arm, not much for rolling out or throwing on the run though, he likes to be planted.  He has the talent but whether he can learn to adjust his game or read the field at all remains to be seen, it only took V.A. 6 years to establish himself as a starter.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

it was....interesting enough the guys will call Kyrie Wilson that too...

Edited by Booch

16 hours ago, BBlink said:

Strev is worth more to us right now. Don't think we would be spending that much on Strev in hard money , but I can definitely see a performance/incentive laden contract in case Zach gets put on the 6 game at some point.

Sure hope you're right. I could see us going with Zach-Strev-Barriere this season.

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

What was Browns price tag here last yr...was it ever disclosed, or just assumptions...same with Prukop?

15) Dru Brown, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)

Hard money: $82,000
Maximum value: $97,000

The Oklahoma State product has a $75,000 base salary with $7,000 in housing money and will collect $500 each time he plays more than 51 percent of Winnipeg’s offensive plays in a game.

41 minutes ago, Doublezero said:

Sure hope you're right. I could see us going with Zach-Strev-Barriere this season.

I'm of the same mind....Prukop becomes expendable with Streve (assumption) coming on board and we need a developmental product , and this Barriere kid looks like he has the credentials

yeah...Okay...very good hahaha....wasnt yr...won't be this yr...Blake is in tub more than on field last 3 seasons...and at 38 can you expect anything different?....we have a 38 yr old in Bryant sure...Never injured...Top of his class still....Blake....is none of those

Good luck with that

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yeah...Okay...very good hahaha....wasnt yr...won't be this yr...Blake is in tub more than on field last 3 seasons...and at 38 can you expect anything different?....we have a 38 yr old in Bryant sure...Never injured...Top of his class still....Blake....is none of those

Good luck with that

If Nye's on board with this plan, then so am I! Godspeed, O'Day.