2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

Bailey should be eminently replaceable.  It kind of worked out good for him with Lawler missing almost half a season.  But for the most part he didn't have a great role, and didn't often take advantage of opportunities to take a step over the years to be more than the 4th option.

Kind of exciting to see some new playmakers.  Notice some teams going more in that direction of guys who are kind of like Demski, even bigger and more of a tight end/H back type blocker too who can carry and catch too.  Wouldn't mind a guy or two in camp like that.  Like the Rutgers guy who did a lot of work as a receiver, back and returner in college.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Mike said:

I knew when I heard that stat about Willie never having a sack without JJ in the lineup, it couldn’t be right

In 2023 Willie had 0 sacks in the games Jeffcoat was out that he played.  Willie missed a game too.

June 16, June 22, Sept 16 were the 3 games he played without Jeffcoat.  0 sacks.  11 sacks in his 14 games played with Jeffcoat.

Haba had 3 of his 4 sacks in those 3 games.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

Because a contract is a mutual agreement and Bailey likely won’t get a huge raise but he’s going to get a raise somewhere. He took an $80,000 pay cut last year. He deserves to go out and make his money somewhere. We can’t force him to sign here.

He's one guy we'll miss. I always said he was the heart & soul of our receiving corps. I hoe that when Bailey retires, it's as a Bomber & not as a member of another team.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I’ll forever be thankful for Sheed as he was the first Bomber to sign my daughter’s pink bomber hat but change is a good thing and I’m excited to see which rookie steps up. I think it’s time to get younger in certain spots and yup, so far so good this off season. We host in 25 so some change is required if we wanna be in that game. 

Edited by Goalie

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Bailey should be eminently replaceable.  It kind of worked out good for him with Lawler missing almost half a season.  But for the most part he didn't have a great role, and didn't often take advantage of opportunities to take a step over the years to be more than the 4th option.

Kind of exciting to see some new playmakers.  Notice some teams going more in that direction of guys who are kind of like Demski, even bigger and more of a tight end/H back type blocker too who can carry and catch too.  Wouldn't mind a guy or two in camp like that.  Like the Rutgers guy who did a lot of work as a receiver, back and returner in college.

We need to add a different dynamic just to keep the opposing DCs on their toes. So yea..looking forward to that maybe.

47 minutes ago, Booch said:

If Lofton comes out of camp at RT with all our incumbents I can think of way worse scenarios...A guy with experience...knows our guys and the league at tackle isn't disaster by any means...and maybe this motivation and the legit chance to be the guy is what sends him over the top

The guy was the best ranked OL on the Riders by PFF last year playing LT. Playing beside an actually physically capable OG he might get the job done. He's no Yoshi, but then again Yoshi is unlikely to be Yoshi again.

Heard part of Loftons interview on the radio... sounds excited to be here, said Strevler was the first of many to text him and welcome him.

Losing Bailey stinks, dude lives and breaths blue and gold. I actually think he has more to offer than he's shown here in WPG. I remember in TC last year he looked like the most polished guy on the field...

That being said. It is one of those spots where we can find someone else to fill the role. Best of luck to you Rasheed, you'll be missed

1 hour ago, Booch said:

If Lofton comes out of camp at RT with all our incumbents I can think of way worse scenarios...A guy with experience...knows our guys and the league at tackle isn't disaster by any means...and maybe this motivation and the legit chance to be the guy is what sends him over the top

Even at this level, one can still get coached up, no? 🙂

I’m very happy the Bombers have acted this quickly to shore up a loss on the line (how much remains to be seen). If he doesn’t work out, our talented Canadian starters will allow our GM to find a talented import tackle somewhere. This is why signing Brady was so important. 👍🏻

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

Who did Bailey sign with?    If nobody offers him a deal the club could offer him a lowball deal to come back could they not?

Sheed is great and loves Winnipeg but this is a harsh industry and he’s 30 and not getting any younger. He can still perform at a high level but he’s really our number 4 receiver and can be replaced (at least talent wise) with a 20 something guy. This isn’t 2019 or even 2021 anymore. The Bombers realize they have to get younger and sign the important younger players to remain competitive. Why do you think the three big signings this offseason where guys in their 20’s? The great teams retool, the Buffalo Sabres of the sports world tear everything down and start from scratch.

Edited by IC Khari

18 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

In 2023 Willie had 0 sacks in the games Jeffcoat was out that he played.  Willie missed a game too.

June 16, June 22, Sept 16 were the 3 games he played without Jeffcoat.  0 sacks.  11 sacks in his 14 games played with Jeffcoat.

Haba had 3 of his 4 sacks in those 3 games.

That’s wrong. Jj did not play weeks 1-3 or 5. In week 1 wj had 2 sacks. In week 5 wj had 2 more. All 4 of habbas sacks came in games jj did not play. 

Edited by wbbfan

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

That’s wrong. Jj did not play weeks 1-3 or 5. In week 1 wj had 2 sacks. In week 5 wj had 2 more. All 4 of habbas sacks came in games jj did not play. 

Well this paints a very very different picture

1 hour ago, IC Khari said:

Sheed is great and loves Winnipeg but this is a harsh industry and he’s 30 and not getting any younger. He can still perform at a high level but he’s really our number 4 receiver and can be replaced (at least talent wise) with a 20 something guy. This isn’t 2019 or even 2021 anymore. The Bombers realize they have to get younger and sign the important younger players to remain competitive. Why do you think the three big signings this offseason where guys in their 20’s? The great teams retool, the Buffalo Sabres of the sports world tear everything done and start from scratch.

As many are here, I am a huge fan of Sheed but you are correct. He's our 4th receiver and that's a spot that can be filled with a younger, cheaper player with more potential upside.

9 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremiah-gemmel/32004745-4d44-4955-ac81-ab519eb69d75

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jeremiah-Gemmel-LB-NorthCarolina

love that he’s a 3 year very productive starter at a high level. Looks like a guy who plays with speed not a track guy. Good size for a wil/s/sam in the cfl. His pff grades in pass cover were really good. 
Like the look of him for a prospect. 

5 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Well this paints a very very different picture

Jj is a great pass rusher who makes our defence and every one in the front better when he’s on the field. I love that guy, it sucks soo bad that it’s ending and he was never able to stay healthy and put up the monster stats to match his calibre of play.  
 His impact doesn’t need to be conflated. Wj is a great pass rusher and has been even when jj isn’t dressed. Wj isn’t nearly as consistent pass rushing as jj, and most guys aren’t consistent in getting sacks. Some times you flush the qb some times you get the easy sack. 
 Habba was very productive in place of jj, and has some great moves/first step. May or may not be legit, two of his sacks were easy finishes. 2 he ducked tackles and took advantage of his short height and leverage. But I’m excited to see where he goes. 

wj started the year very well last year. And jj missed a big portion of the first half year. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jeremiah-gemmel/32004745-4d44-4955-ac81-ab519eb69d75

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Jeremiah-Gemmel-LB-NorthCarolina

love that he’s a 3 year very productive starter at a high level. Looks like a guy who plays with speed not a track guy. Good size for a wil/s/sam in the cfl. His pff grades in pass cover were really good. 
Like the look of him for a prospect. 

Jeremiah Gemmel is a nice add at linebacker. Instinctual, fast, high motor guy who was a team captain for a high-level NCAA team. 

Also, would stay away from the NFL draft buzz articles. They have no idea what they are talking about on there

50 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Jeremiah Gemmel is a nice add at linebacker. Instinctual, fast, high motor guy who was a team captain for a high-level NCAA team. 

Also, would stay away from the NFL draft buzz articles. They have no idea what they are talking about on there

Yeah that was the only place showing much of his pro day numbers. The nfl break down contradicts the draft buzz directly lol