2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nothing like dancing on a guy’s  grave on his way out with some cheap pot shots and character assassination of a serviceman. Sometimes I agree that Lyin’ Guy wasn’t far off with his “bunch of assholes” comment. Not upset about the cut from a roster point, but the man came in and did whatever was asked of him and did it competently enough, whatever the assessment of the skill of the position or the utility of the roster spot. And he served his country in the military in an elite service branch that makes him deserving at least of thanks and respect instead of mimicry, and makes him as tough if not tougher IMO than any poster on this site, whether they be ex-football player, gym rat, or keyboard comedian wanting to see circus acts or having a laugh at his expense. 

Get serious...As a kid of a  second world war vet, who put his life on the line for this country  , I take umbridge with the insult....I realize what sacrifices are made by these men....I could call you out on the 'assholes' comment but that would just be feeding your bullshit....AND for cripes sake lighten up....I'm sure the seal would see some levity in my comments ...unlike you who is obviously against any levity on this board

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Get serious...As a kid of a  second world war vet, who put his life on the line for this country  , I take umbridge with the insult....I realize what sacrifices are made by these men....I could call you out on the 'assholes' comment but that would just be feeding your bullshit....AND for cripes sake lighten up....I'm sure the seal would see some levity in my comments ...unlike you who is obviously against any levity on this board

I’m pretty confident if I told your veteran parent to go balance a ball on his nose in reference to his service branch, you’d struggle to find the “levity” in that comment, especially since you recognize their sacrifice as you say. If you want to rip a player’s performance, fair game. You want to call out their character for domestic violence, drunk driving, getting busted using steroids, have at it. But no, I’m not going to lighten up because you want to poke fun at someone’s military service by equating it to a circus trick, there’s nothing funny about it, especially as a parting shot. 

A bit of a positional need break down post free agency since it seems we will only add min contract vets from what walters was saying. 

Starting DBs, Ford/kramdi Nichols BA Holm Parker. That leaves 1 full time spot for sure open, and parker will likely have to win a spot as well. 

Starting OL Bryant, Neufeld, Kolo/Eli, Dobson. That leaves one spot open, and likely our 6th OL will be the back up C. 

Wrs Lawler, Woli, demski, Schoen. Which leaves 1 imp starting spot, and a back up NI wr spot (Likely Murphy.)

DL WJ Thomas/lawson Fox Haba/Garbutt. Likely Fox will have to win a spot in camp, as well as the 2nd DE. 

So we will likely see 1 full rookie imp starting on the OL, plus one back up moving up to starter. At WR we will certainly end up starting a 2nd full imp rookie, DL also has a very high probability of seeing a full rookie imp starter. In the secondary I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 rookie starters, 1 is for sure. So we will probably have 4-5 rookie starters. We also might be looking at a rookie kicker, (hope castillo re signs) possibly a rookie KR, and a mostly new Sts / cover team. Strevy, while familiar with buck will also be adapting to bucks offence, though I think that will be a great benefit by time the season starts. JY as a rookie Dco isn't much of a concern to me with Hall staying on. 

Davie ritchie used to say you lost 1 game per rookie starter you had. I think that is more true for mediocre teams or rebuilding teams. For an established team with a strong locker room like ours I don't think it will be soo rough. I also think we will become far more dynamic and by mid to late season have developed far better depth than we had last year. 

How do you grade this off season/FA for the bombers? Strevy back is a huge win, especially on such a team friendly deal. That and keeping both schoen/brady for less combined than any one wouldve thought is another A+. A couple of the subtractions to the roster are also a big win. It sucks not getting any league vets to come in for starter spots, but our scout team is dynamite. Id say this off season is a B+/A-. We are gonna get some more blue chip prospects at several positions and I don't think we will miss a beat on offence. If we manage to get those blue chippers in the places of need and they show up to camp, I think it'll be a solid A off season at worst. 

We've never struggled to find rookie talent on D either. Or win with rookies on D for that matter. in 19 pundits doubted our secondary league wide. But the 2 rookies who started on the same side of the field as each other have turned into a regular NFL starter quality player, and a guy whose among the very best covermen in the league.  

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Nothing like dancing on a guy’s  grave on his way out with some cheap pot shots and character assassination of a serviceman. Sometimes I agree that Lyin’ Guy wasn’t far off with his “bunch of assholes” comment. Not upset about the cut from a roster point, but the man came in and did whatever was asked of him and did it competently enough, whatever the assessment of the skill of the position or the utility of the roster spot. And he served his country in the military in an elite service branch that makes him deserving at least of thanks and respect instead of mimicry, and makes him as tough if not tougher IMO than any poster on this site, whether they be ex-football player, gym rat, or keyboard comedian wanting to see circus acts or having a laugh at his expense. 

u going way off the rails here bud...nobody is dissin' his service....as to which is totally unrelated or relevant to his football foray......so you can get off the soap box there

He was tho above and beyond that a totally waste of a roster spot, and served no purpose any other payer could have in his role save for a punter or kicker and a lighter receiver/db...or someone built like Holm Boy....

43 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I’m pretty confident if I told your veteran parent to go balance a ball on his nose in reference to his service branch, you’d struggle to find the “levity” in that comment, especially since you recognize their sacrifice as you say. If you want to rip a player’s performance, fair game. You want to call out their character for domestic violence, drunk driving, getting busted using steroids, have at it. But no, I’m not going to lighten up because you want to poke fun at someone’s military service by equating it to a circus trick, there’s nothing funny about it, especially as a parting shot. 

I've sat with veterans in the legion many times, and I assure you they would  take a lot lighter stance on my comments about a 'football player'/ navy seal and his short tenure here, than you are...I do not kid about the military service of any veteran .....get that straight....As a football player , I think he's fair game in the public venue....Your crusade for the guy is wonderful but I'm sorry, I'm not going to retract or apologize for my comments and my 'lighten up' statement still stands....

AND as a side note ....quoting a guy like 'lyinguy' who called us a bunch of 'aholes' doesn't get you any points around here

Edited by Stickem

42 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

See it's a joke because he was a Navy Seal and seals (the animal) are sometimes trained to do tricks like balance a ball on their nose. 

stripes-francis-francis.gif

26 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'll be curious what changes Younger will bring to our defensive schemes. Seeing what he will do will have an impact on our roster decisions. 

I think we will see significantly less cover 0, a lot more mixed zones, split field zone, more blitzes with a particular design as well. I hope, we will see better front useage like we had previously from hall not being a full time co, less feeding biggie to an OL to limit double teams, and of course more reasonable cushion in coverage. We get lost playing damn near prevent D in strange parts of games and just give away full length of the field drives. 

31 minutes ago, Stickem said:

I've sat with veterans in the legion many times, and I assure you they would  take a lot lighter stance on my comments about a 'football player'/ navy seal and his short tenure here, than you are...I do not kid about the military service of any veteran .....get that straight....As a football player , I think he's fair game in the public venue....Your crusade for the guy is wonderful but I'm sorry, I'm not going to retract or apologize for my comments and my 'lighten up' statement still stands....

AND as a side note ....quoting a guy like 'lyinguy' who called us a bunch of 'aholes' doesn't get you any points around here

As an aside, I'm a vet (Reserve) and I can tell you that no one is more brutal with slamming other units/branches than military people.  And this is coming from someone affectionately (or not) known as a meathead.

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

A bit of a positional need break down post free agency since it seems we will only add min contract vets from what walters was saying. 

Starting DBs, Ford/kramdi Nichols BA Holm Parker. That leaves 1 full time spot for sure open, and parker will likely have to win a spot as well. 

Starting OL Bryant, Neufeld, Kolo/Eli, Dobson. That leaves one spot open, and likely our 6th OL will be the back up C. 

Wrs Lawler, Woli, demski, Schoen. Which leaves 1 imp starting spot, and a back up NI wr spot (Likely Murphy.)

DL WJ Thomas/lawson Fox Haba/Garbutt. Likely Fox will have to win a spot in camp, as well as the 2nd DE. 

So we will likely see 1 full rookie imp starting on the OL, plus one back up moving up to starter. At WR we will certainly end up starting a 2nd full imp rookie, DL also has a very high probability of seeing a full rookie imp starter. In the secondary I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 rookie starters, 1 is for sure. So we will probably have 4-5 rookie starters. We also might be looking at a rookie kicker, (hope castillo re signs) possibly a rookie KR, and a mostly new Sts / cover team. Strevy, while familiar with buck will also be adapting to bucks offence, though I think that will be a great benefit by time the season starts. JY as a rookie Dco isn't much of a concern to me with Hall staying on. 

Davie ritchie used to say you lost 1 game per rookie starter you had. I think that is more true for mediocre teams or rebuilding teams. For an established team with a strong locker room like ours I don't think it will be soo rough. I also think we will become far more dynamic and by mid to late season have developed far better depth than we had last year. 

How do you grade this off season/FA for the bombers? Strevy back is a huge win, especially on such a team friendly deal. That and keeping both schoen/brady for less combined than any one wouldve thought is another A+. A couple of the subtractions to the roster are also a big win. It sucks not getting any league vets to come in for starter spots, but our scout team is dynamite. Id say this off season is a B+/A-. We are gonna get some more blue chip prospects at several positions and I don't think we will miss a beat on offence. If we manage to get those blue chippers in the places of need and they show up to camp, I think it'll be a solid A off season at worst. 

We've never struggled to find rookie talent on D either. Or win with rookies on D for that matter. in 19 pundits doubted our secondary league wide. But the 2 rookies who started on the same side of the field as each other have turned into a regular NFL starter quality player, and a guy whose among the very best covermen in the league.  

I’m not concerned about our secondary. I think all starters will be covered by guys already in the building and we’ll have a couple rookies for depth that will get their feet wet and like move into greater roles next year. Been there, done that.

LBers will be the same, with maybe some upside if Cole starts coming on strong. Adding Ford has the potential to help the secondary and/or the SAM spot. Kramdi getting the training camp as the starter will help as well. All good here.

DL has lost a massive piece in Jackson. Our D is not the same, Willie is not the same when Jeffcoat is not on the field. There is potential here to find a young dynamic defensive weapon that takes us to another level (especially looking forward to next season). There’s also the flip side of that where our DL takes a drastic step back.

Im not as worried about OL. It might take some time to gel, but it’s going to be nice to see Dobson or Eli step up. Again, this may pay dividends in 2025.

WRs should improve with Kenny hopefully available for a full season. I don’t expect much out of random guy #5, but maybe he comes on strong in the back half and can replace whichever one of Kenny/Dalton potentially walks next year.

Zach and Brady should continue to be the best at their respective positions. Stevy is going to be such a help to our O. 

I think we’re at a B so far. We need our draft picks to contribute more. We really need to nail our DE scouting.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I’m not concerned about our secondary. I think all starters will be covered by guys already in the building and we’ll have a couple rookies for depth that will get their feet wet and like move into greater roles next year. Been there, done that.

LBers will be the same, with maybe some upside if Cole starts coming on strong. Adding Ford has the potential to help the secondary and/or the SAM spot. Kramdi getting the training camp as the starter will help as well. All good here.

DL has lost a massive piece in Jackson. Our D is not the same, Willie is not the same when Jeffcoat is not on the field. There is potential here to find a young dynamic defensive weapon that takes us to another level (especially looking forward to next season). There’s also the flip side of that where our DL takes a drastic step back.

Im not as worried about OL. It might take some time to gel, but it’s going to be nice to see Dobson or Eli step up. Again, this may pay dividends in 2025.

WRs should improve with Kenny hopefully available for a full season. I don’t expect much out of random guy #5, but maybe he comes on strong in the back half and can replace whichever one of Kenny/Dalton potentially walks next year.

Zach and Brady should continue to be the best at their respective positions. Stevy is going to be such a help to our O. 

I think we’re at a B so far. We need our draft picks to contribute more. We really need to nail our DE scouting.

Yeah, I think we will continue to find guys who wont miss a beat in the secondary. If BA is fully healthy and the system more tailored to his talents, plus a more seasoned Ford and Holm back we could improve a decent bit. 

Agree. I think mostly we will see the same Lbing core, but with more cole snaps. 

Wj certainly needs another pass rusher to take weight off his shoulders. Hes best if that comes from the nose, but also if we keep a fresh end. Rotating more, getting back to a nose, and more of the better useage schemes weve seen in the past are a bigger impact than who we start imo.

Ol should be fun to watch in run pro, I think pass pro will take a bit of time to gel but be good. The wrs wont miss a beat either. 

Draft is gonna be big, but I'm not expecting an immediate impact on our game day roster. Maybe some teams or rotational impact. Unless we see a great turn key guy in the supplemental draft and get them. Global draft will be key too. 

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

As a Canadian I don’t give 2 shits about the American military or navy seals and am happy Jackson was let go. Listen all the respect in the world for his services to a country I can’t stand but dude was a football player who wasn’t good enough. Seals huh. Seal your ass later 

This sums up how I feel about houston too. Great guy, the story about his kid getting hit in a drive by while in bed was heart breaking. I'm happy for him as a person to get paid. I'm happier hes gone, he isn't the player or talent we need. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Wrong 

I actually think you're wrong here... the problem with Jackson wasn't his contributions as a fullback... it's that he was taking up a DI spot on a position that easily could've been filled by a Canadian rookie... if his passport was different (even Global), I don't think anyone would've had a problem with him

18 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but on "The Huddle" podcast DT said that over the last 3 seasons in the 10 games that Jeffcoat missed that Willie played in, he registered 0 sacks.  He also added Haba had 0 sacks in games Jeffcoat did not play. 

If they can't replace Jeffcoats pass-rush straight up, they're going to have to rely on blitzing combos a whole lot more than anyone wants to see.

if we can get consistent active push in the middle, and a complimentary end.....and yes another one to rotate which we most likely will have now as the Seal has been removed from the situation, then I think we will be just fine up front...With Lawson at one tackle...and a rotation of likely 2 of Fox/Randall and Woods we should be very capable...and it also hinges on how we deploy and how we scheme.

I have zero faith in Schmeckle....Kornelson as quality contributors, and if Bennet shows no progression...u can add him to the mix  as well as capable Canadian rotation depth.....So the draft is key, and hopefully the re-signing of Kongbo to remove one of them right out of the equation...I have had to accept the fact Thomas will be rostered unless he gets hurt as thats just what Osh does....even if not the best option, so for hopefully 10 or less snaps a game he can have guys funneled into his big gut by others much like the last 2 yrs , and his vet knowledge will make him place hold while someone takes a breather..

Db's I think this yr will actually be better than last to be honest...and possibly with a bit of switch in philosophy make it even stronger yet....I curious who slots at SAM as technically we don't need to be Canadian there, so for most part at LB hard to say what we look like until camp and see whats left in Biggies tank...I am confident in Wilson.....Kramdi was adequate at best, but that doesnt do it for me....We need a playmaker/difference maker there....he is not that...and he isn't at this stage in his career morph into that unless he goes on a serious PED experiment

Draft is huge this yr...especially with the picks we have...we can't pooch it....and good chance we may make a trade and acquire a piece if we are able to secure our 2 targets we want

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

I actually think you're wrong here... the problem with Jackson wasn't his contributions as a fullback... it's that he was taking up a DI spot on a position that easily could've been filled by a Canadian rookie... if his passport was different (even Global), I don't think anyone would've had a problem with him

he was average at best in that role, and if u watch film/tape/tv...he biffed a lot of assignments...and was a total non factor on ST's...Osh loved the guy for what he was...key word was, and not for his football ability....and it influenced his roster decision...plain and simple...

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but on "The Huddle" podcast DT said that over the last 3 seasons in the 10 games that Jeffcoat missed that Willie played in, he registered 0 sacks.  He also added Haba had 0 sacks in games Jeffcoat did not play. 

If they can't replace Jeffcoats pass-rush straight up, they're going to have to rely on blitzing combos a whole lot more than anyone wants to see.

thats just also ore than solidifies the fact that Haba should have been in all yr instead of the Seal, ...all 3 together got it done...much like yrs previous when we had 3 solid DE's rotating with a 4th guy who was more than adequate

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think Jackson was originally used at FB as a temporary solution until Mike Miller returned to play.  According to Miller the team tried all season to get approval for his return from a chronic neck injury that would not heal.  Approval never came so Jackson stayed.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

I think Jackson was originally used at FB as a temporary solution until Mike Miller returned to play.  According to Miller the team tried all season to get approval for his return from a chronic neck injury that would not heal.  Approval never came so Jackson stayed.

we had a full back tho...who was with us yr previous...and had played it all his life....and who actually was a good st guys too...

21 minutes ago, bearpants said:

and I disagree. Anyone can get in there and get in the way for a block. He didn't do anything that a random canadian couldn't have done at fullback (and many could do better) He was useless on special teams. I recall late in teh season giving the round of applause because he got his first stat when someone tripped over him on teams, as a DE was just laughable. He was a complete waste of a roster spot. 

41 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Both right and wrong imo. He was sub par for a fb / teams specialist no matter the passport. Taking a di spot only made it soo much worse. If he had become a strong kick cover guy and been a mike sellers blocking it’s a different story. 

14 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Do we have a QB3 signed yet?? Perhaps a QB4 as well? Don't recall any conversation about the quarterback situation.

Yep Wilson and barriere. I’d be stunned if we didn’t break camp with Eric Barriere as qb3/pr. He smashed Nichols and blms records at eastern Washington a powerhouse developmental pipe line for the cfl. He had a bunch of nfl looks and interest. Blue chip passing prospect. 
 Terry Wilson is no slouch either. 4 star recruit headed for Nebraska who flipped to Oregon. Red shirted then Oregon fired coach frost and the team wanted to go in a different direction. Went to juco then to Kentucky then COVID hit and ended in New Mexico. More raw version of stevy. Strong dual threat qb with great tools.

We also have a qb who converted to wr for nfl looks iirc but had a great career too dont know if he’s planned for wr or qb. If not we might bring in one more camp arm but with the Canadian we will get from cis they might not be needed. 

49 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

and I disagree. Anyone can get in there and get in the way for a block. He didn't do anything that a random canadian couldn't have done at fullback (and many could do better) He was useless on special teams. I recall late in teh season giving the round of applause because he got his first stat when someone tripped over him on teams, as a DE was just laughable. He was a complete waste of a roster spot. 

Since blocking is so easy it's crazy that every play isn't a touchdown. 🤣

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Camp is going to seem far more important this year now

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I said get in the way, not block effectively.

All blocks are not the same. Being a 200 lbs wr and getting in the way of a db on a run or pass is reasonable to expect. You can’t expect an ol to never get beat. 
 For a fb like Jackson, when you’re 260lbs you should stone wall any db or wil most every time. Picking up a blitz or blocking a dl one on one you can’t expect them to replace an ol easily. 
 Jackson in the run game was mostly blocking down on smaller guys. He was coming in specifically for that role so the expectation should be high. He didn’t out perform what any ni lber or fb on our roster the last two years would’ve done.