2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

9 minutes ago, Dr Zaius said:

Were the bombers the best team in 2019? No.

It doesn't matter who "the best" is.

What matters is the championship.

The last two years has shown that the championship pedigree isn't there. That's why I'm reticent over the commitment to that core. 

Making the game is championship pedigree. At that point, it’s any given Sunday.

look at the Stamp and Als dynasties across the last 20ish years. Pretty poor records in the play-offs and Grey Cups compared to how many regular season victories they had.

Winning the Championship is hard. Y’all unsatisfied about only winning 2 of the last 4 cups, honestly.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Making the game is championship pedigree. At that point, it’s any given Sunday.

look at the Stamp and Als dynasties across the last 20ish years. Pretty poor records in the play-offs and Grey Cups compared to how many regular season victories they had.

Winning the Championship is hard. Y’all unsatisfied about only winning 2 of the last 4 cups, honestly.

I'm unhappy about losing both games in the final minute. Never should have happened. I don't care if it's hard or not. 

On 2024-01-08 at 8:22 PM, bearpants said:

I wonder if Miller was basically an assistant ST coach this past season... and maybe O'Shea liked what he saw...

The team probably also knew Miller was never going to play last year... just kept him on the payroll as a player/coach

was thinking the same thing

15 hours ago, Jesse said:

I feel like too many people are still trapped in the drought. They don't believe that the Bombers can actually be good. Every loss is a harbinger of doom. Every interception is Zach getting too old, every sack is the OL deteriorating. Ignoring the fact that we still placed first in almost every meaningful statistical category for the past 3 seasons. 

We are a great team. Period. Full stop.

There are areas we can improve. First glance of the off season (early signings and coaching changes) shows me we are committed to making those improvements. 

This post is exactly what I see when I watch a game with the people ive been sth with for years. 1 pick, 1 long pass completed against us and chicken little and the sky had fallen. I don't know how many times I've told people to calm down!!

It's the time of the year where some folks on here freak out and believe that the Bombers are the only team making any changes,  that the Bombers have zero money for free agency,  and where they believe Walters is sitting at home doing absolutely nothing and that every other team in the league will be signing all stars while we get older and crappier.       Then after a few weeks Walters extends some of our guys and then signs one or two guys from Free Agency and everyone does a 180 and falls in love with Walters again and gets over confident about how awesome we are all while making fun of the Riders for overpaying on mediocre talent.     

I feel like I've experienced this cycle on here for the last ten years ,   almost like a modified version of the movie Groundhog Day. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It's the time of the year where some folks on here freak out and believe that the Bombers are the only team making any changes,  that the Bombers have zero money for free agency,  and where they believe Walters is sitting at home doing absolutely nothing and that every other team in the league will be signing all stars while we get older and crappier.       Then after a few weeks Walters extends some of our guys and then signs one or two guys from Free Agency and everyone does a 180 and falls in love with Walters again and gets over confident about how awesome we are all while making fun of the Riders for overpaying on mediocre talent.     

I feel like I've experienced this cycle on here for the last ten years ,   almost like a modified version of the movie Groundhog Day. 

I bet walters is doing more work than ever on the draft and rookie free agency. That’s where our gems will come from this year, and that’s what we need. 
 The re shuffle in the coaching staff, with the previous possibility that we could lose buck, and current that we could lose Brady and schoen or more all means a lot of prep work for situations that might not even happen. 
 There is no “off season” in the front office of pro sports. 

27 minutes ago, ddanger said:

was thinking the same thing

Doesn't sound like it.  Seems like MOS just thought he'd be a good fit.

Miller didn’t put much thought into coaching until he was offered the job last week. He got a taste of what it might be like last season, as he spent the whole year around the team, working with players in the meeting room, but his focus was solely on getting back on the field.

“I didn’t expect to be offered this role, at all. It was very shocking when it did come about. He definitely put me at ease saying you know the game, you know where to put guys, you know what they need to do and you see it on film when there’s an issue and you know where we went wrong.”

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/2024/01/08/miller-realizes-retirement-required-in-new-role-as-blue-bombers-special-teams-co-ordinator

14 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Disagree. Look at the "promising" young qbs that Ottawa has absolutely wrecked in the last few years.. Nick Arbuckle, Caleb Evans, Dustin Crum. They'll eat him up & spit him out as well. 

Don't agree that either Crum or Evans have been "wrecked" and thought Crum substantially improved his game as the season went along.  I'd welcome either as BB's if the RB's decided to turf them.

I thought Evans and especially Crum did pretty well for guys that were thrown directly into the fire early on in their pro careers. Evans will be 26 at the start of next season and Crum just turned 25 last week, either one could elevate their game with actual support around them. Crum would will out an occasional win in spite of it all, that guy has a bit of that Buck Pierce determination in him

15 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Anyone else find this kind of comment annoying?

honestly, I'm as big on "we have to keep our locals!!" as anyone, but if he really wants to get grossly overpaid, then let him go try. I truly believe he's not irreplaceable. I think he's really good, but there's options there, including going back to IMP at RB...

Well, chasing a dream is one thing and many of us wish you all the best. But if that dream of the NFL isn't there, do the right thing and sign on the dotted line sooner than later. Your home team Brady, needs to sign a team of players.

10 hours ago, Jesse said:

So am I, obviously. 

So, no one gets your point.

42 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

He's becoming Brady the obnoxious, he's going to be stunned when he discovers "the sky is not the limit".

Like what is wrong with this guy? Kind of flabbergasted here. Brady's sitting around Winnipeg saying he wants to explore his NFL options even though he has no NFL options. Holding up the contract process for other players who want to get their deals done sooner rather than later. I don't get the attitude with him. If I was Walters, I'd give him a deadline to sign a new deal. If he says no then he goes to free agency, we flip to an American in the backfield & go from there. If he has no intentions of signing here then sayonara. Good luck.

Has Brady been listening to his old pal Andrew....IF he has and thinks by going down the road Harris took when he left the club, ..welll in my opinion, it's the wrong choice.....I really like the kid and appreciate what he's done for the club but I hope he's not sandbagging himself as far as we're concerned....Sure the 'sky is the limit' BUT this is the CFL and I don't see the nfl breaking down his door for him to play down there  

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

honestly, I'm as big on "we have to keep our locals!!" as anyone, but if he really wants to get grossly overpaid, then let him go try. I truly believe he's not irreplaceable. I think he's really good, but there's options there, including going back to IMP at RB...

There's humble yet confident and there's obnoxious over the top please stop talking (or writing).

I wish BO would demonstrate the first part of this sentence to secure the best situation for himself.

But to each their own.

Just now, Stickem said:

Has Brady been listening to his old pal Andrew....IF he has and thinks by going down the road Harris took when he left the club, ..welll in my opinion, it's the wrong choice.....I really like the kid and appreciate what he's done for the club but I hope he's not sandbagging himself as far as we're concerned....Sure the 'sky is the limit' BUT this is the CFL and I don't see the nfl breaking down his door for him to play down there  

it's not Harris, it's his agent, who is apparently somewhat of a "pitbull".....they have said they "want to reset the market for RBs in the CFL"....

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's not Harris, it's his agent, who is apparently somewhat of a "pitbull".....they have said they "want to reset the market for RBs in the CFL"....

I doubt that we're about to accomodate them AND I'm sure we'll be reasonable ....just not crazy

I don't take it seriously.    Also if another team wants to spend huge money at RB then good for them.   I'd rather the team spend the extra money on a proper o-line because that makes all the difference in the world on how the O rolls.     

2 minutes ago, BBlink said:

It's the O Line more than Brady. I like the way Brady plays but there's plenty of American guys that can play just as well. Hell, Johnny Augustine has looked great in many circumstances 

JA is NOT the answer..... but there are plenty of Americans who could be, for sure.