Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

Was just going over some of the threads since the GC and there seems a lot of finger pointing going on. I do agree that Bighill and Schoen should not have dressed. We only had one deep threat and that was covered. Bighill could not perform as he had all year and while he has lost a step he was, lets say sufficient. He couldn't move or run and Montreal took advantage of that. I do agree that there was a lack of rotation on the DL and that caused major problems. The D backfield wasn't all bad and yes there were some missed tackles but to suggest that Rose would have helped us back there, I respectfully disagree.

It is my opinion that we lost the game not because of the players but because of the coaching in all aspects of the game of football. As has been mentioned Oshea played people who should not have played. Some who should have played were on the sidelines fresh. Some were hurt and unable to contribute beyond their presence IE Bighill and Schoen. The defense was outcoached. They could not stop Montreal when they were in a hole on not just one occasion but two I can remember. So the defensive play calling was missed. The offensive play calling was terrible. We run the ball successfully in the first half then abandon it. The passes went to a select few only while we have what 5 potential receivers to utilize? Buck has shown throughout his career that he gets locked into something and cannot get out of it when it doesn't work. Our special teams have been a disaster all year and save for Grant on a few occasions it has been bad. We never seem to be able to switch the field in our favour because of the return game of the opponent, whomever it might be.

So while players missed assignments perhaps, didn't tackle well, didn't execute as well as we had hoped, had we had better play calling in all phases maybe just maybe a few of those player errors would not have added up to the loss we had.

We will have major changes this coming year so hopefully our scouting staff will be able to recruit good players and hopefully Walters will be able to sign Schoen and Olivera as I believe regardless of who is QB these two will be instrumental in our offensive success this coming year.

2 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Was just going over some of the threads since the GC and there seems a lot of finger pointing going on. I do agree that Bighill and Schoen should not have dressed. We only had one deep threat and that was covered. Bighill could not perform as he had all year and while he has lost a step he was, lets say sufficient. He couldn't move or run and Montreal took advantage of that. I do agree that there was a lack of rotation on the DL and that caused major problems. The D backfield wasn't all bad and yes there were some missed tackles but to suggest that Rose would have helped us back there, I respectfully disagree.

It is my opinion that we lost the game not because of the players but because of the coaching in all aspects of the game of football. As has been mentioned Oshea played people who should not have played. Some who should have played were on the sidelines fresh. Some were hurt and unable to contribute beyond their presence IE Bighill and Schoen. The defense was outcoached. They could not stop Montreal when they were in a hole on not just one occasion but two I can remember. So the defensive play calling was missed. The offensive play calling was terrible. We run the ball successfully in the first half then abandon it. The passes went to a select few only while we have what 5 potential receivers to utilize? Buck has shown throughout his career that he gets locked into something and cannot get out of it when it doesn't work. Our special teams have been a disaster all year and save for Grant on a few occasions it has been bad. We never seem to be able to switch the field in our favour because of the return game of the opponent, whomever it might be.

So while players missed assignments perhaps, didn't tackle well, didn't execute as well as we had hoped, had we had better play calling in all phases maybe just maybe a few of those player errors would not have added up to the loss we had.

We will have major changes this coming year so hopefully our scouting staff will be able to recruit good players and hopefully Walters will be able to sign Schoen and Olivera as I believe regardless of who is QB these two will be instrumental in our offensive success this coming year.

I agree that playcalling was awful. Our coordinators were out coached. No excuse for players making mental errors tho.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2023-12-11 at 6:03 PM, GCn20 said:

I agree that playcalling was awful. Our coordinators were out coached. No excuse for players making mental errors tho.

Still can't understand the zero blitz when we're playing for the tie. A sack doesn't take them out of fg range.

13 hours ago, Goalie said:

I don’t think we see major changes unless 10 guys retire and 1 or 2 of those guys have contracts still so. I don’t see the huge changes this year. 

Which is fine, because they don't need huge changes.

I think we lose:

1. Brown to a team that can give him a chance at being a starter, likely Ottawa or Hamilton.
  2. Brady O to the highest bidder, not the NFL.
  3. BOO to a team that can give him more playing time. 
  4. Gray to a team who over pays him.
  5. Schoen to a team who overpays him. I'm hoping we can find the money to keep him and Lawler, but $500K on two receivers seems like a lot to me. 

14 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I think we lose:

1. Brown to a team that can give him a chance at being a starter, likely Ottawa or Hamilton.
  2. Brady O to the highest bidder, not the NFL.
  3. BOO to a team that can give him more playing time. 
  4. Gray to a team who over pays him.
  5. Schoen to a team who overpays him. I'm hoping we can find the money to keep him and Lawler, but $500K on two receivers seems like a lot to me. 

I agree with all of this, but I think Brady's highest bidder will be the Bombers.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I agree with all of this, but I think Brady's highest bidder will be the Bombers.

We have good Cdn talent. Other teams don't. Brady solves two problems. First he upgrades the Cdn talent. Second he's the best RB in the league. The Riders for example could overpay him and use the free'd up import spot to help fix their O line with a cheap import. 

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

We have good Cdn talent. Other teams don't. Brady solves two problems. First he upgrades the Cdn talent. Second he's the best RB in the league. The Riders for example could overpay him and use the free'd up import spot to help fix their O line with a cheap import. 

They could, but won't. And I don't at all think BO leaves wpg for another squad unless it's 100k + more in salary. He's said in the past it's the NFL or WPG. Obviously money can change that, but I'm guessing it would have to be serious money. He has some deep roots here currently.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

They could, but won't. And I don't at all think BO leaves wpg for another squad unless it's 100k + more in salary. He's said in the past it's the NFL or WPG. Obviously money can change that, but I'm guessing it would have to be serious money. He has some deep roots here currently.

It`s hard to say really. He seems like he is chasing the dollars or the NFL. Then again, in a contract neg situation a lot of players say that.

20 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Player or System? Would we have received similar or better production from, say... Butler? I don't know, I feel the answer is yes, but I don't have concrete evidence- BO OTOH, had the stats to back that up. 

I wouldn't be upset if he priced himself out and we moved on and went Imp at that spot.

7 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Now that some of the QB pieces have started to move around. Brown is probably left to one place if he wants a starter job and that's Ottawa. Will have to see if Ottawa pays Mesoli's offseason bonus this month.

I feel like the RBs will restructure Masoli's deal. They can't commit that much upfront and Masoli doesn't have anyplace else to go. 

7 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Player or System? Would we have received similar or better production from, say... Butler? I don't know, I feel the answer is yes, but I don't have concrete evidence- BO OTOH, had the stats to back that up. 

I wouldn't be upset if he priced himself out and we moved on and went Imp at that spot.

I can't see Masoli needing to have his contract restructured or being released. Actually I'd say it's 50/50 whether he returns to play at all in 2024. At this point he has a long series of serious injuries so that, age and SMS all work against him.

As far as Brown, money could talk but he'd be jumping into the fire in Ottawa. Free agency is a domino situation. If we re-sign Oliveria and / or Schoen we may not have money for Brown. OTOH, who does what 1st?

The team will have a good idea of who they are prepared to lose and where SMS can / will be distributed.

25 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

I can't see Masoli needing to have his contract restructured or being released. Actually I'd say it's 50/50 whether he returns to play at all in 2024. At this point he has a long series of serious injuries so that, age and SMS all work against him.

As far as Brown, money could talk but he'd be jumping into the fire in Ottawa. Free agency is a domino situation. If we re-sign Oliveria and / or Schoen we may not have money for Brown. OTOH, who does what 1st?

The team will have a good idea of who they are prepared to lose and where SMS can / will be distributed.

Masoli has a big bonus due next week so yeah Ottawa does need to make a decision soon.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/08/six-figure-roster-bonus-deadline-looms-for-qb-jeremiah-masoli-ottawa-redblacks/