Week 7 - E(l)ks @ Blue Bombers - GDT

JCon

thing is...he gets targeted a lot...by plan....sure he can hang and be close to the targeted guy....most times can wrap the guy up and take him down but the damage is done....I wanna see more explosion to break it up....Pick it off...and have a physical presence out there...maybe he should be moved to safety to be that guy who can glide and slide over to plays to give over the top support in a true safety fashion....as he is not the best option at HB ...all the good things and bad things considered...but we as a team don't use a safety that wau=y...so that would mean somewhat of a makeover in our coverages and responsibilities and at this point in the yr would be more problematic than helpfull until they got it down consistently

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Fair, but that's the Johnny Augustine YPC avg argument over again though. You can't take away 'the easy ones', they happened and they count. Or we need to take away every other DB's 'easy ones' too

No that's Kola

there a difference between easy and lucky...or fortunate

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Sorry if I prefer players not getting absolutely burned and torched one or two times per game.  I said the exact same thing last year with Rose at around the same time of the season.   I'm not sure if you were one of the people on here giving him excuse after excuse,  but eventually the thick headed folks could admit the guy was a shell of his former self and was a liability on the field.   At least Rose had the excuse of being injured,   Houston does not.    Hopefully he can develop into a solid player but at this point he's way hot and cold and laughable to suggest he's top 2 - 3 corner in the CFL.   A top 2 - 3 CB doesn't get burned by Corny,  Crum,  Fajardo....    Prime example of a guy with fancy stats that doesn't tell the whole story.       

many say...media...coaches and fans that Marshall is the top corner...and that happens to him prob every other game...if not every game...guys get beat...caught peeking and or biting...nature of the position

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Sorry if I prefer players not getting absolutely burned and torched one or two times per game.  I said the exact same thing last year with Rose at around the same time of the season.   I'm not sure if you were one of the people on here giving him excuse after excuse,  but eventually the thick headed folks could admit the guy was a shell of his former self and was a liability on the field.   At least Rose had the excuse of being injured,   Houston does not.    Hopefully he can develop into a solid player but at this point he's way hot and cold and laughable to suggest he's top 2 - 3 corner in the CFL.   A top 2 - 3 CB doesn't get burned by Corny,  Crum,  Fajardo....    Prime example of a guy with fancy stats that doesn't tell the whole story.       

also...where was the safety there?...did the HB screw up and was supposed to take the deep zone there?....did u have inside info on the coverage called?...and going by Suitors explanation on the replay isnt the answer cause 9 times outta 10 he has no clue what he is babbling about...all he was concerned about that game was when Lawler would get a big play so he can throw out his patented "he's back!!" comment

1 hour ago, Booch said:

What makes u say that....has just as fast in the 40...and is more explosive and has better fast twitch that u can easily see when he closes, or moves in to make a play

Just saying that because it seems most DBs struggle out in space to make plays on the ball. Holm has been noticeably make plays. Not a a knock on Parker, don't remember too well how he did on deep balls last year.

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

also...where was the safety there?...did the HB screw up and was supposed to take the deep zone there?....did u have inside info on the coverage called?...and going by Suitors explanation on the replay isnt the answer cause 9 times outta 10 he has no clue what he is babbling about...all he was concerned about that game was when Lawler would get a big play so he can throw out his patented "he's back!!" comment

No it was Man coverage, at least on Houstons side. He bit on a double move and then stubbled/played his recovery horribly and that was that. It happens. Situational awareness is needed there, but every single db gets got at some point.

1 minute ago, blue85gold said:

Just saying that because it seems most DBs struggle out in space to make plays on the ball. Holm has been noticeably make plays. Not a a knock on Parker, don't remember too well how he did on deep balls last year.

He does it clean too. No PIs called against him that I can remember.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

No it was Man coverage, at least on Houstons side. He bit on a double move and then stubbled/played his recovery horribly and that was that. It happens. Situational awareness is needed there, but every single db gets got at some point.

do u know that 100 percent tho...u can have combined coverage as well eh...he def bit on a double move...but also if he has nobody else there responsibility wise his responsibility is to follow that play....and as they say look for loose change on a tip..fumble..etc...I dont know the coverage called...but I do know a cb can have man coverage in the lower 3rd but if guy breaks out the HB and or safety is supposed to pick up the deep 3rd...so who knows..and we will never know cause the coach wont tell us who effed up

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Again, I apologize that you have no idea what you’re watching. But I’m not here to help you out. Be as wrong as you want. 

First of all I think most people here are largely indifferent to Holm, it's just funny that booch is so anti-holm. I'm not saying who is right it just makes me chuckle. 

As for Houston yes he bit once and got burned for it... but he also made a lot of good tackles. 

This idea that he is struggling is stupid.  Most of the dbs are playing pretty well. They get left in a tough situation a lot because of the no disguise blitzes we are in love with right now.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

What makes u say that....has just as fast in the 40...and is more explosive and has better fast twitch that u can easily see when he closes, or moves in to make a play

well Gray was kind of knicked up...so wouldnt be surprised...that being said Eli for Kolo with the guards as is would be a stronger front than Kolo at center with Dobson at guard.....Hopefully we shuffle the deck a bit if just to see what Eli and Dobson together gives us

Apparently Gray was not feeling well yesterday, which makes sense considering how late they made the switch.  Concerned about Stanley, maybe he's nicked up and needs a few weeks to recover but he isn't handling speed so well these days and if targeted in a playoff game by a quick DE like Betts it could get ugly for Zach. The next game against BC should be a very good test of the O-line to identify deficiencies.  I think they need to have a backup plan ready to roll in-game to relieve him if he's struggling and that might have to be Gray if there's no way possible to get Richmond onto the roster directly.

ADS is adequate, would like a little more aggression to the field.  So far he's made most of the tackles or at least turned guys in, but he's getting caught in space all the time 1 on 1 vs guys that have the ability to either make him miss, truck him or both.  If he cuts down on the space the guy has receiving the ball there's a lot less opportunity for the 20-30-70 yard catch and run.

Holm, Nichols and Houston are all potential all-stars

I like Holm a lot. He’s a baller. But yeah, you’re definitely right. Teams have been scheming very well against Richie this season. The personnel we’re using is limiting our ability to do things we’ve done in the past … Bighill probably too slow to drop back like he has in past seasons, Briggs/Darby/Kramdi/Maruo have essentially been useless and Alexander is being asked to play way closer to the line to make up for it. Leaving our DBs in a lot of tough spots where they’re being asked to win one on one battles and we’ve got brainiacs like Brandon saying they’re bums because they haven’t been perfect.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Holm, Nichols and Houston are all potential all-stars

It won’t be this year but I really think Holm will be an all-star next year. He’s starting to get noticed and his compete level on some of these deep shots teams are taking at him is unreal. Love the way he never gives up, he’ll fight you the whole way down to the ground on a jump ball. 

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

there a difference between easy and lucky...or fortunate

I was reading an article about the Ottawa game and it highlighted a real issue I see with how people deal with analytics vs 'the eye test'. Dude was complaining about how PFF was rating Crum so poorly compared to even say Collaros.

You can do the right thing and have a bad outcome, and you can do the wrong thing and have a good outcome. I think with QBs this is a bit more obvious if there is a clear read progression. You can't really complain about a QB missing an open guy if he was the 4th or 5th read against a blitz. As a RB, there is only so much you can do if you run where you are supposed to and the hole slams shut, but if you mess up the hand off and end up having to spin around and bounce outside for 35 yards, that really isn't a super positive play 95% of the time.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Refresh my memory but Parker played both corner and halfback last season correct? Does he get into the starting lineup after the bye? Do he and Rose both get in?

yes he did...and yes I hope so

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I like Holm a lot. He’s a baller. But yeah, you’re definitely right. Teams have been scheming very well against Richie this season. The personnel we’re using is limiting our ability to do things we’ve done in the past … Bighill probably too slow to drop back like he has in past seasons, Briggs/Darby/Kramdi/Maruo have essentially been useless and Alexander is being asked to play way closer to the line to make up for it. Leaving our DBs in a lot of tough spots where they’re being asked to win one on one battles and we’ve got brainiacs like Brandon saying they’re bums because they haven’t been perfect.

Hall has always had an inordinate love for run blitzes, but this year has been a new level.  Bighill should be on the depth chart as a DT.

As a OL coach, run blitz me all day, I don't care if you line up 8 guys across the line, the less space my fat guys have to cover to find a block the better.  As zone run game takes over these D play callers are going to have to back off on the run blitzes because the aren't going to work unless you have backers that can catch a 4.4 tailback from across the formation and behind.

I'm waiting for the week when they figure out Alexander needs to be the SAM.  Kramdi moves like a 70 year old between whistles, I don't mind his play but I don't think he'll last very long.

SAM- Alexander

CB- Houston

HB- Nichols

S- Darby/Hallett

HB- Holm

CB- Parker (start him in the secondary he's not a punt returner)

Parker I might put at the boundary with Nichols.

10 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Apparently Gray was not feeling well yesterday, which makes sense considering how late they made the switch.  Concerned about Stanley, maybe he's nicked up and needs a few weeks to recover but he isn't handling speed so well these days and if targeted in a playoff game by a quick DE like Betts it could get ugly for Zach. The next game against BC should be a very good test of the O-line to identify deficiencies.  I think they need to have a backup plan ready to roll in-game to relieve him if he's struggling and that might have to be Gray if there's no way possible to get Richmond onto the roster directly.

yeah....I picked that up to on Stanley......I think the bye will certainly help in is case......Skirting around our end on O has been a concern.....Have to keep Zack upright ''''''that's key

36 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

He does it clean too. No PIs called against him that I can remember.

He got one PI call against him in the Ottawa game but it was very ticky-tacky.

1 hour ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

Can anyone tell me if shoe was hurt in that game? I think he was only targeted once in the entire game and lawler was what 8? 

Schoen

Schoen was definitely targeted at least 3 times (2 for completions, one near the end zone and one when he got popped), might have been more targets, but those are 2 that I remember.  I didn't notice him on the field after that big hit that he took on the one catch near the Bomber bench and he went off looking sore.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’m a little Kolo, short and stout. 
I’ve reached the ceiling, please take me out.

When I get a one on one hear me shout. 
Tip me over, it’s two and out. 

certainly has been a lot of defenders 'teeing' off on him............................okay I'll show myself out.....talk about corny......heh heh......Here's a bad one....and it's not mine..... QB.Corny throwing to Cobb the receiver....ouch

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hall has always had an inordinate love for run blitzes, but this year has been a new level.  Bighill should be on the depth chart as a DT.

As a OL coach, run blitz me all day, I don't care if you line up 8 guys across the line, the less space my fat guys have to cover to find a block the better.  As zone run game takes over these D play callers are going to have to back off on the run blitzes because the aren't going to work unless you have backers that can catch a 4.4 tailback from across the formation and behind.

I'm waiting for the week when they figure out Alexander needs to be the SAM.  Kramdi moves like a 70 year old between whistles, I don't mind his play but I don't think he'll last very long.

SAM- Alexander

CB- Houston

HB- Nichols

S- Darby/Hallett

HB- Holm

CB- Parker (start him in the secondary he's not a punt returner)

Parker I might put at the boundary with Nichols.

Did you consider that Rose should be available for the next game and does that change your thought?