Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

On 2023-11-14 at 12:55 PM, 17to85 said:

No GM is walking away during this run. Runs like this get your face plastered everywhere in team history.

I mean bill Walsh literally did just that. I can’t see walters leaving football. I think the only things that would take him away from the bombers is 1) desire to have more quality family time, or 2) some control/salary cap type problem where it came down to him or mos. 
 I don’t pretend to have any idea what he, miller or the board will do. I can’t see possibilities but I don’t think they are too strong at this point. Which is good. Walters is the most important part of the mafia to keep imo. 

55 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The suggestion that the Bombers can't do anything until the extensions are done is ludicrous.

The management staff are Bombers employees until their deals are up.  They are still working.

Nothing would stop those guys from doing their job to the last day either. No Chris jones types around here that’ll mail it in. 

On 2023-11-15 at 6:41 PM, wbbfan said:

I mean bill Walsh literally did just that. I can’t see walters leaving football. I think the only things that would take him away from the bombers is 1) desire to have more quality family time, or 2) some control/salary cap type problem where it came down to him or mos. 
 I don’t pretend to have any idea what he, miller or the board will do. I can’t see possibilities but I don’t think they are too strong at this point. Which is good. Walters is the most important part of the mafia to keep imo. 

Nothing would stop those guys from doing their job to the last day either. No Chris jones types around here that’ll mail it in. 

Not to go to another team though, I think that’s the main thing. 
Walters (or anyone) leaving for a non-CFL job/family reasons is believable. Walters going to Hamilton, not so much. 

From Jeff Hamilton in today's Free Press:

"I had an interesting exchange with Oliveira this week about his future. He’s on an expiring contract and while he loves his time in Winnipeg and can’t imagine playing anywhere else in the CFL, his plan is to pursue the NFL next season. While that would be an awesome opportunity for Oliveira, what a loss that would be for Winnipeg, seeing how much he does for his home province both on and off the field."

3 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

"I had an interesting exchange with Oliveira this week about his future. He’s on an expiring contract and while he loves his time in Winnipeg and can’t imagine playing anywhere else in the CFL, his plan is to pursue the NFL next season. While that would be an awesome opportunity for Oliveira, what a loss that would be for Winnipeg, seeing how much he does for his home province both on and off the field."

I can’t imagine a RB getting much of a shot..

19 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

He was trying to get an NFL shot out of college. 

I hope he does it. Great ambassador for our team, city, province, and country. 

If he can get paid he should do it. 

think thats a long shot but wish him well....and thats prob the toughest position to break in at, as there are a buttload of RB's in the U.S who's measurables would blow BO's away...and NFL is so hooked on them and the visual eye teat.

But if he takes a yr doing the wandering around hoping to do a PR thing then frees up money elsewhere, and maybe we can actually bring in an import bell cow on the cheap....and keep all our receivers

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

hmmmm... intriguing. I don't know enough about how that works....... does he have the right size/ability to be on the NFL's radar? I never imagined that possibility...

His player bio says he’s 5’9” (college combine has him at 5’10”) and 225 lbs. According to a few internet sources, average NFL running back is 5’10” to 10.5” and 213 lbs. so size does not appear to be an issue.

It’s his speed that I think would hold him back. His college combine 40 time was “high 4.70” according to a 3 Down article, and average NFL running back speed is in the 4.43-4.58 range, according to various sources. NFL combine 5 year average came out at 4.49 for running backs. As Booch pointed out, NFL is all about measurables, so tough to even get a foot in the door. And RBs seem to be a dime a dozen coming out of US college, with a shorter high end shelf life than other positions. But good luck to him. If not, he is someone one would hope would be a true Bomber for Life (who was the last high end player we could say that about?)

As much as I respect his game, Oliviera is getting chased down by CFL DL.  I can't see him being much value in the NFL unless he wants to be a blocking back who they sneak the odd draw to.  They don't even really use the power backs on short-yardage anymore.

The field is 12 yards narrower so the gaps are that much tighter.  You need speed, the patient style wouldn't necessarily translate and he won't be powering through NFL MAC's and WIL's.

5 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

As much as I respect his game, Oliviera is getting chased down by CFL DL.  I can't see him being much value in the NFL unless he wants to be a blocking back who they sneak the odd draw to.  They don't even really use the power backs on short-yardage anymore.

The field is 12 yards narrower so the gaps are that much tighter.  You need speed, the patient style wouldn't necessarily translate and he won't be powering through NFL MAC's and WIL's.

Yeah…

brady absolutely had his eye on the NFL coming out of college, but he didn’t have the measurables required to get a look. And all that’s changed is he’s 4 years older.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah…

brady absolutely had his eye on the NFL coming out of college, but he didn’t have the measurables required to get a look. And all that’s changed is he’s 4 years older.

The prototype for a NFL tailback right now is sub 1.5 10 yard split, 4.4 40, explosive high 30s-40 vertical, 10-11 foot broad jump.

The only spot where Oliviera is competitive is the shuttle and raw power demonstrated by bench reps.  But they need guys with burst to work the wide zone stuff that works like the Niners, Dolphins etc. are killing teams with.  Basically have to be fast enough to beat the pursuit angles from front 7.

Despite his outstanding season I don't see his film being particularly attractive to NFL.  He's hardly busted runs over 20 yards.  His big thing is consistency and grinding out yards.

The blocking is huge but I'm not sure they'll care if he's not going to be a ball carrier.  They often convert DL types over to be blocking backs, like small OL basically.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The prototype for a NFL tailback right now is sub 1.5 10 yard split, 4.4 40, explosive high 30s-40 vertical, 10-11 foot broad jump.

The only spot where Oliviera is competitive is the shuttle and raw power demonstrated by bench reps.  But they need guys with burst to work the wide zone stuff that works like the Niners, Dolphins etc. are killing teams with.  Basically have to be fast enough to beat the pursuit angles from front 7.

Despite his outstanding season I don't see his film being particularly attractive to NFL.  He's hardly busted runs over 20 yards.  His big thing is consistency and grinding out yards.

The blocking is huge but I'm not sure they'll care if he's not going to be a ball carrier.  They often convert DL types over to be blocking backs, like small OL basically.

I’m not sure if they’ll even give him credit for his blocking.

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I’m not sure if they’ll even give him credit for his blocking.

Yeah and there's like 4 guys on every Power 5 roster in NCAA who fit the mold of what they are looking for.

To me if a guy like Schoen can't get a shot with subpar testing numbers I'm not really sure who will.

23 hours ago, Geebrr said:

If he was already going to another team Walters shouldn’t be anywhere near negotiations. 

Fortunately, that rumour never made sense and he will be back. 

For pondering sake, if we do infact lose Buck to coaching, who do we want or would look at for a new OC? Milanovich if he doesn't get a HC role?.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

think thats a long shot but wish him well....and thats prob the toughest position to break in at, as there are a buttload of RB's in the U.S who's measurables would blow BO's away...and NFL is so hooked on them and the visual eye teat.

But if he takes a yr doing the wandering around hoping to do a PR thing then frees up money elsewhere, and maybe we can actually bring in an import bell cow on the cheap....and keep all our receivers

Damn you turned that negative into a positive real fast...

Speaking of fast... I agree that Brady's speed would be the biggest hinderance to him getting a real shot... but I hope he gets a TC shot and maybe a little signing bonus for his troubles... worst case scenario (as Booch outlined above) we lose him for a year, he gets some excellent coaching/experience and comes back in 2025 even better and more motivated.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

He's a RB....he ain't going to the NFL.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

He just doesn't have the 40 time for NFL RB. As unfair as that is the NFL does not waver off that at RB...ever.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

With MBT back and all the talk being that some team will sign Steveler to start I am starting to think that Dru Brown may very well opt to stay in Winnipeg. Why leave a good situation when no other team is offering you an opportunity to compete for a starting job?

Maybe next season we roll with Strev + Brown!