Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

This.

I really liked JJ when he played here for the most part. Sadly, my lasting memory of him in the end was the year after he won MODP. We were getting hammered 35-0 in Edmonton at the half, en route to a 42-10 loss. JJ makes an interception and when the camera cuts to him on the sidelines he chirps “that’s what happens when you test number 2, best defensive player in the league”. Matt Dunigan ROASTED him at the half for boasting while down 35 points, saying that selfish me-first attitude in the face of a blowout spoke volumes about his lack of self awareness. An unfortunate side effect of “Swaggerville”. 

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I really liked JJ when he played here for the most part. Sadly, my lasting memory of him in the end was the year after he won MODP. We were getting hammered 35-0 in Edmonton at the half, en route to a 42-10 loss. JJ makes an interception and when the camera cuts to him on the sidelines he chirps “that’s what happens when you test number 2, best defensive player in the league”. Matt Dunigan ROASTED him at the half for boasting while down 35 points, saying that selfish me-first attitude in the face of a blowout spoke volumes about his lack of self awareness. An unfortunate side effect of “Swaggerville”. 

That's 100% who he is, I believe. 

12 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

No harm in it I suppose, but IMO if you have to tell people who didn’t ask in the first place how great you are/were, then you weren’t as special as you think. 

Not wrong though plenty of greats have gone under appreciated. Especially dbs. 
 I feel like it’s harder for dbs to get into the hof than most positions too. 
 35 picks 11 forced fumbles 8 defensive tds 77 pass knock downs 14 tfl 591 tackles solid but not spec-tactual return man. 188 games in 12 years with 185 starts. First db to win modp 2 time league all star 5 time divisional All-Star. 5th most int returns for tds all time. 
 His career ran long and past his prime, but his season with us alone were crazy. 

before really looking at the numbers I was a toss up. On one hand if you aren’t like rod hill or Browne it’s hard to get in as a db. I think JJ is hof worthy, but not a slam dunk easy pick. It’s just much easier for des lbers WRs RBs and QBs to get in. Ol dt and db is more about reputation. 

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That's 100% who he is, I believe. 

And tbh thats swaggerville in a nut shell. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

There are probably worse players than JJ in the hall... but man the arrogance rubs me the wrong way.

For my money Hefney randle and mo were better players in their careers here. But didn’t have the longevity of jj. 

33 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhh..... He's a ways down my list of Bombers HOF inductees, never mind the league. I mean, Wade is in the Bombers hall for his ST contributions, so Jovon probably gets in, but.... It might be a minute. And the league hall? Ya I don't know about that. 

He better get in before the BOAT load from these last 4 years are eligible. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

35 picks 11 forced fumbles 8 defensive tds 77 pass knock downs 14 tfl 591 tackles solid but not spec-tactual return man. 188 games in 12 years with 185 starts. First db to win modp 2 time league all star 5 time divisional All-Star. 5th most int returns for tds all time. 
 His career ran long and past his prime, but his season with us alone were crazy. 

before really looking at the numbers I was a toss up. On one hand if you aren’t like rod hill or Browne it’s hard to get in as a db. I think JJ is hof worthy, but not a slam dunk easy pick. It’s just much easier for des lbers WRs RBs and QBs to get in. Ol dt and db is more about reputation. 

8 defensive TD’s is pretty incredible. 

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

JJ had some excellent years for us. The MODP is interesting because I believe he just beat out Hefney for our nomination on something like a 4-3 vote. Lobo may have gotten the nod that year if he had stayed healthy too. Not saying he didn't deserve it because he did.

That MODP was a team award given to Swaggerville by the national voters.... But I think JJ still believes that was all about him.

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

8 defensive TD’s is pretty incredible. 

Yeah it is. That and modp are the big thing imo. That and 5 time all star. Pretty impressive db stuff. The two are what either carry him into the discussion or get him in. With out those two he doesn’t get a sniff. 

5 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

JJ had some excellent years for us. The MODP is interesting because I believe he just beat out Hefney for our nomination on something like a 4-3 vote. Lobo may have gotten the nod that year if he had stayed healthy too. Not saying he didn't deserve it because he did.

that’s how I recall it too. I remember having Hefney above jj but I always like Hefney better personally. Not as much a flashy play maker but a great football player. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

That MODP was a team award given to Swaggerville by the national voters.... But I think JJ still believes that was all about him.

To be fair most modp awards go to the team as much as the player. But yeah it really could’ve gone to a couple bombers that year. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I’m totally with you on great DB’s under appreciated cuz when they’re clamping down on a consistent basis you ain’t hearing their name not too mention the fact when they cause a coverage sack their name ain’t being mentioned.

Edited by HardCoreBlue

4 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I also think that if someone is border-line to get into the hall it would help if they contributed to a Grey Cup.

Guys like Roberts, Stegall and Brown didnt win Cups obviously however their individual accomplishments speak for themselves.

I think Jovon hung around long enough for the sheen to turn to rust. 

For comparison mo Leggett in 4 years had 16 picks for 432 yards 4 return tds 2 kick return tds 12 sacks 266 tackles 12 knock downs.

randle had 18 picks for 180 yards and 3 defensive tds 3 sacks 360 tackles 19 pass knock downs. 

6 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I also think that if someone is border-line to get into the hall it would help if they contributed to a Grey Cup.

Guys like Roberts, Stegall and Brown didnt win Cups obviously however their individual accomplishments speak for themselves.

That’s true though JJ did win a cup with the riders. 

3 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Randle Island was a thing. 

A hell of a thing. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If I had to pick from all our dbs over the past 20 years to make one unit idk if id take JJ. Mo, Ba, Randle, Hefney, would be locks. I’d be hard pressed to take JJ over alford but hof is a player career thing. Not just a better player in the short term. 

Even though he was only here a season, Dee Alford has to be in that mix. Nichols too. 

21 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah it is. That and modp are the big thing imo. That and 5 time all star. Pretty impressive db stuff. The two are what either carry him into the discussion or get him in. With out those two he doesn’t get a sniff. 

that’s how I recall it too. I remember having Hefney above jj but I always like Hefney better personally. Not as much a flashy play maker but a great football player. 

To be fair most modp awards go to the team as much as the player. But yeah it really could’ve gone to a couple bombers that year. 

I thought Hefney should get the nod that year, I remember reporters/voters being impressed that JJ played every position (and had an interception) in the secondary that year due to injuries.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If I had to pick from all our dbs over the past 20 years to make one unit idk if id take JJ. Mo, Ba, Randle, Hefney, would be locks. I’d be hard pressed to take JJ over alford but hof is a player career thing. Not just a better player in the short term. 

If there was a defensive back who deserved to be first to win MODP it was Juran Bolden in 2001. Teams actively changed their offensive strategy just to avoid him, and he would move around to cover the #1 receiver on every team, IIRC. QBs just would not throw his way because he was sure bet to intercept them. And he still led the league in INTs that year.