CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

Since I'm on a rant about MOP posers...cause that's what they are..how does a QB with 23 TD passes become a serious contender for MOP? Brown had 9 in 2 and half games. 30 is the bare minimum imo or else voters should be looking elsewhere because 23 screams game manager only.

Also since Labor Day..7TD passes vs 5 INTs. Not MOP numbers when the season got real.

Consistency all season long has to be a consideration with a slight bias to performance after Labor Day when you are facing the stiffest competition. In that regard both Kelly and Betts can hardly be considered outstanding. Maybe MPP..most pedestrian.

Edited by GCn20

What was the deal with Madani when he was here? Was working with the Bombers directly in their social media department or director of communications, or something like that IIRC, then swiftly disappeared. I think Bauming is now doing the job he had, but his departure always seemed sudden and I thought there were rumblings of discontent somewhere during his tenure. Am I remembering any of this correctly, or do I need to visit concussion protocol again?

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Did I miss a story on this?

Yeah same....

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

Since I'm on a rant about MOP posers...cause that's what they are..how does a QB with 23 TD passes become a serious contender for MOP? Brown had 9 in 2 and half games. 30 is the bare minimum imo or else voters should be looking elsewhere because 23 screams game manager only.

Also since Labor Day..7TD passes vs 5 INTs. Not MOP numbers when the season got real.

Consistency all season long has to be a consideration with a slight bias to performance after Labor Day when you are facing the stiffest competition. In that regard both Kelly and Betts can hardly be considered outstanding. Maybe MPP..most pedestrian.

Yeah...u nailed this... pedestrian at best...and based on BO game in and game out production...plus impact on the wins...hands down winner of.both in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

What was the deal with Madani when he was here? Was working with the Bombers directly in their social media department or director of communications, or something like that IIRC, then swiftly disappeared. I think Bauming is now doing the job he had, but his departure always seemed sudden and I thought there were rumblings of discontent somewhere during his tenure. Am I remembering any of this correctly, or do I need to visit concussion protocol again?

I thought he left under some kind of bad blood...more his part whining...if we both wrong maybe I should join u or lay off the jug a bit lol

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Did I miss a story on this?

Nah, he's just a mega creep.  More than a few in Winnipeg experienced it in his time here.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

But you can't penalize Kelly because the Argos spent the whole season kicking ass and takin names, dontchaknow?

Dinwiddie personally had to stop Kelly from scoring more TDs!

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Bauming does not work for the Bombers. There was no social media when Madani worked for the Bombers. Madani was the PR/Communications guy for a brief stint which is now handled (among MANY other roles) by Darren Cameron.

14 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Nah, he's just a mega creep.  More than a few in Winnipeg experienced it in his time here.

But you can't penalize Kelly because the Argos spent the whole season kicking ass and takin names, dontchaknow?

Dinwiddie personally had to stop Kelly from scoring more TDs!

Good thing Dinwiddie did not let Kelly show his true greatness, we may have all been blinded.

30 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Kelly started and excelled in his 2nd year after only having a single start in his first year. He took over the Grey Cup winning team and actually made it better. He's on Toronto, the center of the world. I expect he will get MOP.

He has worse numbers than collaros and barely played the last 4 weeks.  

8 minutes ago, Goalie said:

He has worse numbers than collaros and barely played the last 4 weeks.  

He isn't up against Collaros for the MOP. He hasn't played much in the last 4 weeks because Toronto has been guaranteed 1st in the east for the last 6 weeks. 

I think in terms of a single player's impact to the overall success of their team and the excellence with which they've performed, Brady (objectively speaking) should be considered the favourite to win MOP.

Toronto has been the story all season and the media / voters being what they are, will attribute much of that success and their record success to Kelly (rightly or wrongly).

If a Canadian RB loses the MOP to an American qb with meh stats just to appease a market that doesn't give a ****... they gonna go away sooner than later.  The Canadian should win the MOP. I mean really what's the standard here? 2000 all purposes yards as a Canadian RB or just meh below average even QB stats 

Guys put up better numbers than Kelly every year, looks like a couple did this year also...2000 all purpose yards by a Canadian RB? Just the 2nd time EVER. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

If a Canadian RB loses the MOP to an American qb with meh stats just to appease a market that doesn't give a ****... they gonna go away sooner than later.  The Canadian should win the MOP. I mean really what's the standard here? 2000 all purposes yards as a Canadian RB or just meh below average even QB stats 

Guys put up better numbers than Kelly every year, looks like a couple did this year also...2000 all purpose yards by a Canadian RB? Just the 2nd time EVER. 

He definately has average stats, and wasnt really the reason they have the record they do...Chalk that more up to their defence...their returner giving them killer field position all yr, and the fact they played Ham..Ott and MTL a combined what 10..11 times??

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Kelly started and excelled in his 2nd year after only having a single start in his first year. He took over the Grey Cup winning team and actually made it better. He's on Toronto, the center of the world. I expect he will get MOP.

What happened prior to this season should have no bearing on the vote.

The media decided Kelly was getting it after like week 3, the same they did with Rourke last year (which was only foiled by his injury). They are simple creatures...it is very difficult to change their minds once they get into the cycle of parroting each other.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

17 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

The media decided Kelly was getting it after like week 3, the same they did with Rourke last year (which was only foiled by his injury). They are simple creatures...it is very difficult to change their minds once they get into the cycle of parroting each other.

If Rourke had stayed healthy, he was on pace for about 6000 yards and 50 tds. Hype was at least justified.