CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

fwiw...

I thought John Hodges reply was funny. He tried to interview the Argos President or something about this and was turned down....I mean...I know it's 3down but like it or not they're still very much one of the top media outlets for the CFL. The Argos brass sure seem to like the image of not wanting to be part of the CFL community.

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Going from 11,500 to 14,000 may be a 21% increase but its still a lousy crowd. 

WHY ISN'T THE NATIONAL MEDIA TALKING ABOUT THIS!!?!?!?!?

Edited by Bigblue204

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

I thought John Hodges reply was funny. He tried to interview the Argos President or something about this and was turned down....I mean...I know it's 3down but like it or not they're still very much on of the top media outlets for the CFL. The Argos brass sure seem to like the image of not wanting to be part of the CFL community.

As a random fan, I wouldn't accept an interview request from 3down.

1 minute ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

"Let that sink in Toronto"...

WTF does that even mean? Are we supposed to be proud the Jets are drawing flies? Is TO supposed to be embarrassed that the Leafs outdraw the Argos? I is confused.

You know what he means... it's misguided, for sure, but the point stands that Toronto doesn't support their CFL team. 

1 hour ago, bluto said:

+2.5k is a good result. Hopefully we can pull off the same trick next season.

Within maybe what 40% of the average sustainability like for a cfl team? But with all the costs Toronto is famous for, realistically they will be a cyst on the ass of mlse unless they sustain 30k. 
 We saw the ALs, in a much cheaper market, sell out a ton of 19k games in a row in the 00s. And it left them broke, and abandoned by the market when they stopped performing at a high level. 

+25% on a dumpster fire is still a problem. Personally, short of a miracle I expect to out live the Argos franchise in the cfl. 

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Within maybe what 40% of the average sustainability like for a cfl team? But with all the costs Toronto is famous for, realistically they will be a cyst on the ass of mlse unless they sustain 30k. 
 We saw the ALs, in a much cheaper market, sell out a ton of 19k games in a row in the 00s. And it left them broke, and abandoned by the market when they stopped performing at a high level. 

+25% on a dumpster fire is still a problem. Personally, short of a miracle I expect to out live the Argos franchise in the cfl. 

wasnt it around 21..22k?....thought it was....but they also had a crap deal there...no access to concession money so that didnt help at that time

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

wasnt it around 21..22k?....thought it was....but they also had a crap deal there...no access to concession money so that didnt help at that time

I want to say it was a shade under 20k, but it could well have gone up a little bit with improvements to infrastructure over that span. 
 They didn’t get that money which is stupid, but they also played at a dirt cheap venue compared to us or the riders now paying off our portions of the new stadiums. 
 They would go and sell out the old ex once a year too. They could’ve done that for a fist full of big games a year and made a ton more cash. As good as the roster management was for them back then the franchise management did stink. 

2 hours ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

"Let that sink in Toronto"...

WTF does that even mean? Are we supposed to be proud the Jets are drawing flies? Is TO supposed to be embarrassed that the Leafs outdraw the Argos? I is confused.

People are hurting right now with this economy. While the Jets have a stale product on the ice you can’t go to a game without paying nearly 100 dollars for a nose bleed and 10 dollars a beer. The Bombers have done great promotions to make their product affordable. I love the jets and bombers nearly equally but I go to almost every bomber game but only go to about 3-4 Jets games a year. People just don’t have the actually cash to throw around anymore and until ownership wakes up we’re unfortunately going to continue to see those kind of crowds. The Bombers are a shining example of a good product on and off the field. 

5 hours ago, Noeller said:

You know what he means... it's misguided, for sure, but the point stands that Toronto doesn't support their CFL team. 

dave naylor has Buffalo Bills season tickets. Either way, he has a team to cheer for. We poor prairie folks are kinds isolated. Not happy to see 11,000 again for attendance. We lost the other Jets when attendance consistently hit that mark. 

Lots of my fellow Argo fans' favorite topic of discussion is slamming the Argos owners MLSE and their general indifference to the fact that they own the most historic and successful football club in North America.

I see it a different way. Their indifference has allowed the man who is most passionate about our club to build and staff it entirely how he sees it. This has worked PDG.

And (this is the big one) speaking for myself, I love this club. But I am not willing to lose a Million or two every year for the privilege of owning it. MLSE on the other hand displays what can only be described as general apathy towards the TAFC... but they don't seem to mind taking a few Milly as a loss. Could have something to do with one of their owners being a media company which is important to the CFL... could be because another of their owners is a media company which is locked in mortal combat with the other one. Frankly, I don't give a quantum of a damn. Just pleased to see the Scullers keep on Pulling Together.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear why I went off on what may appear tangential to what was being discussed, it is because talking about the precise number of bums in seats at BMO which would constitute the break-even point is a red herring. 

Edited by bluto

51 minutes ago, bluto said:

Lots of my fellow Argo fans' favorite topic of discussion is slamming the Argos owners MLSE and their general indifference to the fact that they own the most historic and successful football club in North America.

I see it a different way. Their indifference has allowed the man who is most passionate about our club to build and staff it entirely how he sees it. This has worked PDG.

And (this is the big one) speaking for myself, I love this club. But I am not willing to lose a Million or two every year for the privilege of owning it. MLSE on the other hand displays what can only be described as general apathy towards the TAFC... but they don't seem to mind taking a few Milly as a loss. Could have something to do with one of their owners being a media company which is important to the CFL... could be because another of their owners is a media company which is locked in mortal combat with the other one. Frankly, I don't give a quantum of a damn. Just pleased to see the Scullers keep on Pulling Together.

EDIT: In case it isn't clear why I went off on what may appear tangential to what was being discussed, it is because talking about the precise number of bums in seats at BMO which would constitute the break-even point is a red herring. 

There is nothing good about indifferent ownership. Nothing. Not in a league like the CFL. A strong performing Argos franchise, not just on the field, is essential to league survival. There is more at stake than how many millys the MLSE is willing to take. Not when league survival needs a fan base, which is non-existent, in it's biggest centre. Like all things Toronto, you cannot see past your self declared centre of the universe. Our league survives on TV contracts, advertising, and corporate sponsorship. Without Toronto, BC, and Montreal having strong fan bases this league will struggle to survive. Luckily there is good ownership now in 2 out of the 3. 

Toronto should be absolutely embarrassed as a city that they have a very strong Argos team that can't draw flies. That's not all on ownership. No wonder the NFL wants no part of the city.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

There is nothing good about indifferent ownership. Nothing. Not in a league like the CFL. A strong performing Argos franchise, not just on the field, is essential to league survival. There is more at stake than how many millys the MLSE is willing to take. Not when league survival needs a fan base, which is non-existent, in it's biggest centre. Like all things Toronto, you cannot see past your self declared centre of the universe. Our league survives on TV contracts, advertising, and corporate sponsorship. Without Toronto, BC, and Montreal having strong fan bases this league will struggle to survive. Luckily there is good ownership now in 2 out of the 3. 

Toronto should be absolutely embarrassed as a city that they have a very strong Argos team that can't draw flies. That's not all on ownership. No wonder the NFL wants no part of the city.

I agree with the bolded part. But the indifference itself is what has allowed the Argos to be shaped by Pinball with no interference, much to our benefit. It's a weird byproduct of MLSE apathy.

On another note: was looking at the standings an schedules... Am I correct in saying that if our backups beat Saskatchewan this week and BC beats Calgary... does that set up a last weekend where Winnipeg will be playing it's equipment managers and waterboys against a Stampeder team who can win its way into the playoffs?

Imagine the howls from the rectangle...

Just now, bluto said:

I agree with the bolded part. But the indifference itself is what has allowed the Argos to be shaped by Pinball with no interference, much to our benefit. It's a weird byproduct of MLSE apathy.

On another note: was looking at the standings an schedules... Am I correct in saying that if our backups beat Saskatchewan this week and BC beats Calgary... does that set up a last weekend where Winnipeg will be playing it's equipment managers and waterboys against a Stampeder team who can win its way into the playoffs?

That scenario sounds ideal. We may not even let the waterboys out there just to make sure.

17 minutes ago, bluto said:

Provided ee take care of business this week- yes, we become "King" makers.