CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

22 minutes ago, Goalie said:

They won't today as the depth chart was previously released but hopefully next week.

I believe MOS said he was going to watch the game last night and could make adjustments from there. Would be good to potentially stagger some rest for older players this week and next before the playoff bye

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It needs to be scrapped but we're talking about Randy Ambrosie here. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Speaking of Randy, there's been a recent sighting...

caveman-stomp.gif

I think having a cap isn’t a bad thing. But it’s too damn tight, and no way should it be multi year guaranteed when player contracts aren’t. It also shouldn’t be more tied to league income than the player cap. 
Maybe scouts shouldn’t be in it either. The more scouts teams have the better off the league is. 

46 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

I believe MOS said he was going to watch the game last night and could make adjustments from there. Would be good to potentially stagger some rest for older players this week and next before the playoff bye

Just in terms of people already on the active roster.

51 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think having a cap isn’t a bad thing. But it’s too damn tight, and no way should it be multi year guaranteed when player contracts aren’t. It also shouldn’t be more tied to league income than the player cap. 
Maybe scouts shouldn’t be in it either. The more scouts teams have the better off the league is. 

Well if they want to make rules like that they'll have to allow the coaches to unionize.  The reason why they have guaranteed deals is because they insist on it when they negotiate the deal at hiring.  A few lately have negotiated buyouts rather than full guarantees through the whole contract.

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So torn... **** both teams. Either result would be hilarious to me.

You're only torn because you haven't yet allowed yourself to conceive of a possible scenario.

If you had, you'd be all in for the Riders.

We'll see if RD is going for it or not.

I think Calgary has a better chance to beat BC than Sask (have now won 8 of the last 10 meetings in BC) although the Riders seemed to have played the Lions tight this year. But I would much rather face Sask over Calgary if they pulled the upset over BC. So go Riders I guess. 

Not that it matters to the Bombers. They will fear none of them. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

21 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I think Calgary has a better chance to beat BC than Sask (have now won 8 of the last 10 meetings in BC) although the Riders seemed to have played the Lions tight this year. But I would much rather face Sask over Calgary if they pulled the upset over BC. So go Riders I guess. 

Not that it matters to the Bombers. They will fear none of them. 

Agree. Plus they are a well coached team. They have a much better shot in any game than a team like the riders.
Can you imagine how furious farhan would be? Wonder where vaj is in the mop race now lmao 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Agree. Plus they are a well coached team. They have a much better shot in any game than a team like the riders.
Can you imagine how furious farhan would be? Wonder where vaj is in the mop race now lmao 

backseat to Brady then Zack....In all honesty I hope BO gets MOC and MOP for us, as I think in all honesty he can win both for the league......and couldn't go to a more well liked, humble and just good guy on and off the field.

So reading all this talk of how O'Day has done well on the Canadian talent side of the ball and I'm like wth? KSB, Emilus and that's about it for his drafts.

Look at Walters who has drafted the following Canadian players who were all stars: Loffler, Goossen, Chungh and Desjarlais. Not to mention Brady, who should be one this year. Plus Couture, Kongbo, Woli and Kramdi.

He also brought in Sayles, Jeffcoat, Schoen, Alford and Nichols who have all been all stars. Not to mention solid starters or rotational payers such as Sayles, Walker, Mike Jones, JSK, Wilson.

So what's my point? Jeremy O'Day needs a lifetime contract as Riders GM.

Just now, rebusrankin said:

So reading all this talk of how O'Day has done well on the Canadian talent side of the ball and I'm like wth? KSB, Emilus and that's about it for his drafts.

Look at Walters who has drafted the following Canadian players who were all stars: Loffler, Goossen, Chungh and Desjarlais. Not to mention Brady, who should be one this year. Plus Couture, Kongbo, Woli and Kramdi.

He also brought in Sayles, Jeffcoat, Schoen, Alford and Nichols who have all been all stars. Not to mention solid starters or rotational payers such as Sayles, Walker, Mike Jones, JSK, Wilson.

Likely weakest position group on their whole team is OL.  Which they haven't been able to draft.  Have overpaid mediocre free agents mostly.  Haven't been able to find Americans to play well for them on OL either.

3 minutes ago, Mark F said:

seems like NFL teams are also struggling to find o lineman

so, that much harder for CFL.

watching some of their games.... offences are  not prolific, qb are getting killed. with a few exceptions.

Biggest issues are development and continuity.

Rare to slam 5 guys together and they are good at pass pro as a group right away.  All the teams panic and switch guys in and out which just makes the issue work.  Need that core 2-3 guys.

Need to have right coaches to develop guys too.

Calgary gonna win the cup If they beat us, I fully expect winnipeg vs calgary western final 

Watch it be calgary vs Hamilton 

23 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Likely weakest position group on their whole team is OL.  Which they haven't been able to draft.  Have overpaid mediocre free agents mostly.  Haven't been able to find Americans to play well for them on OL either.

Wasn't O'Day a ol when he played? How this possible lol

On 2023-10-21 at 2:58 PM, rebusrankin said:

I have heard our current NAT content criticized lately. I am of the belief that we have done very well keeping as many as we can. It's tough under the SMS.

20 hours ago, Goalie said:

Calgary gonna win the cup If they beat us, I fully expect winnipeg vs calgary western final 

Watch it be calgary vs Hamilton 

Wasn't O'Day a ol when he played? How this possible lol

It's possible when you don't draft any. For some odd reason O'Day just doesn't seem to want to stock that cupboard.

20 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It's possible when you don't draft any. For some odd reason O'Day just doesn't seem to want to stock that cupboard.

They've drafted 6 OL in the 4 drafts that O'Day been GM for so it's not that they aren't drafting them, it's that they usually wait until round 6 to pick them & end up with bottom of the barrel guys.   They've done a terrible job of managing/strengthening such a key aspect of the team. That's backed-up by the fact that they've only managed to get 13 games in total out of those 6 picks (all from Logan Bandy). 

They do have a couple picks in the pipeline (Zack Fry on the PR and Evan Floren in school) but time will tell if they are of any use to the team or not.