CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

We most certainly did not get lucky in 2019. We gave a master class in playoff football that year. As for winning with some flawed things....EVERY Grey Cup champ EVER.  Hey I don't mind the discussion of our weaknesses, but saying our three year run is flawed and lucky is over the top.

sounds like something I'd read at riderfans. "Hope we lose" "got lucky"....

No one has won more games since 2016...we're pushing a decade as a top team. 2 GC wins, 3 appearances. MOPs, MODPs, MOOL, MOR. 

You know what they say. Gotta be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. 

5-2 after 7 games, about to punch harris and the arblows in the throat and stomp Dane evans. All by luck. 

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

But that's how ZC plays football.  He's always been more of a downfield passer. 

Yep, Zach leans towards gunslinger so he gets hit more often than Nichols, who was content to pick up first downs until they reached the 45.  Even before 2019 Nichols was boasting of "not touched" games and they had a number of them.

Edited by Fatty Liver

17 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yep, Zach leans towards gunslinger so he gets hit more often than Nichols, who was more content to pick up first downs until the reached the 45.  Even before 2019 Nichols was boasting of "not touched" games and they had a number of them.

Zach will eat the hit to get the completion. Always has, always will. Our team will live and die by his ability to do that and keep getting up. We knew that when we got him. The RIders tried to get him to play safer, and he sucked.

39 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Our playoff defense in 2019 was generational, as was our regular season defense in 2021. That was no fluke.

No..it was not.

Edited by GCn20

48 minutes ago, bb1 said:

One Cup...maybe, maybe i agree. But 2 ******* Cups? No way in hell it's luck....

2021 wasnt luck...we dominated, but almost effed up in the Grey Cup...and the following yr we just rode that wave...didnt eveolve and reload in a few areas.....and this yr we may be seeing the delayed effects of it...

44 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Man u could say the Argoes got lucky last year because our FG kicker could not make a convert to save his ass, or what if their starting QB didn't get hurt???? 

they certainly did...that and we had a gimp at QB....thats why u play the games....but also we didn't make some adjustments either which didnt help....so we were out coached as well

31 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I can understand the perspective of someone thinking the '19 run was a fluke.... that we just got on a heater. But so much credit has to be given to Osh and his leadership skills for having that team fired up the whole way through and making sure they were prepared. Remember also that during GC Week '19, most of the team came down with a bad flu bug and were in rough shape. They still came out and put on *THAT* performance that day.... truly incredible. And I really think a lot of that had to do with Osh's leadership

many a championship has been won that way....team gets on a heater and is unstoppable

18 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Not when other teams scout our cuts and do extremely well. Also, cfl teams don’t have extensive practice film. 90% of all film teams have is from tsn cameras. They get un cut and wide angles etc we don’t get. But teams are lucky to have one guy with a cam out side of that  

teams that don’t develop the next QBs quickly sink back to the bottom of the standings. Dynasties ALL develop their next qb. The guy who replaced Peyton was pretty good too  

it’s pretty easy really. We had a stretch of some of the best drafts in history that saw us pumping out excellent starters with rounds 1-3 including rolling over TON of high end ni ol. Book end that with the greatest qb come back of all time and two of the best imo tackles of an era and fantastic cfl free agent pick ups like biggie Willy and a few dbs. The 19/21 rosters were insanely deep. We had back ups and multiple starters jump to the nfl. More than the previous 20 years worth of teams. 

And refuse to make use of a naturalized ni, or dress no back up cover guys, dbs, start dead weight lbers etc. 

walker has become more productive and that’s great. But the problem still exists and is the same as last year when we had sayles who was even better. This D needs a nose. walker isn’t soo good that he offsets that loss. He’s gone from a none factor to good in a couple games. 

The last time we had a qb get hit soo frequently on a regular basis drew Willy happened. And the last time Collaros was hit this much the world thought his career was over. 

If Collaros kept on getting hit as often and as hard as in the BC Lions' game, we would be referring to his career in the past tense by now. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

2109 we were a mid tier team. Collaros was the difference in the playoffs & has been the difference since then. 

In 2019 we were a top tier team with a mid tier QB until ZC came to town. Hell...even Nichols, until his injury, had us in first. We most definitely were not a mid tier team, We were a top tier team in a big time QB jam.

Edited by GCn20

26 minutes ago, Tracker said:

If Collaros kept on getting hit as often and as hard as in the BC Lions' game, we would be referring to his career in the past tense by now. 

For sure. However, that hasn't happened since and I doubt it will again. That game was an abomination. Worst game by our OL in many years. Gotta think there were some big time communication issues that day.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

2109 we were a mid tier team. Collaros was the difference in the playoffs & has been the difference since then. 

We might not have got passed the stamps in the semi final if streveler hadn't decided to run all over the calgary defence in the 2nd half. So i reject your premise that collaros was the difference.  

Here are some other extremely key things that improved the 2019 team for the playoffs: Mason at SAM, Alexander at safety, Taylor at halfback. Jones at db as well. And yes collaros in for injured Nichols was part but they mare a lot of changes to the D leading into the playoffs that set the tone for what was to come, and make no mistake the 2019 playoffs the defense was lights out and a way bigger factor than the offense.

25 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

We might not have got passed the stamps in the semi final if streveler hadn't decided to run all over the calgary defence in the 2nd half. So i reject your premise that collaros was the difference.  

Here are some other extremely key things that improved the 2019 team for the playoffs: Mason at SAM, Alexander at safety, Taylor at halfback. Jones at db as well. And yes collaros in for injured Nichols was part but they mare a lot of changes to the D leading into the playoffs that set the tone for what was to come, and make no mistake the 2019 playoffs the defense was lights out and a way bigger factor than the offense.

Agreed on all points. We dominated on defence. Absolutely dominated. It was a sight to behold. Offensively we were average but very opportunistic. We were a good team with or without Zac. Did Zac put us over the top....yea he did because Streveler is more of a gimmick QB and was playing on a broken foot. All we needed out of Zac that playoff run was competent and our defence was just that damn good. Wasn't until 2021 that Zac really broke out with us imo. In 2019 he was game managing us through the playoffs.

Edited by GCn20

People might not want to acknowledge the level of difficulty cutting a 3 in 1 Natl. kicker caused the team in roster management, there may be measurable benefits down the road, but the cost of replacing him and the lost ratio flexibility he allowed has become a real inconvenience.  As much as I wasn't Leggs biggest fan, I don't think it's been worth the tradeoff.

Edited by Fatty Liver

4 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

People might not want to acknowledge the level of difficulty cutting a 3 in 1 Natl. kicker caused the team in roster management, there may be measurable benefits down the road, but the cost of replacing him and the lost ratio flexibility he allowed has become a real inconvenience.  As much as I wasn't Leggs biggest fan, I don't think it's been worth the tradeoff.

So MOS could roster another LB or FB that doesn't play anyway? No thanks. Rather have Castillo.