2023 CFL Draft Discussion

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

Thanks, as always to Our Man @EdTait for all his work, desperately needed through a painfully long offseason! 

I don't worry about how Walters and Co. manage the draft- they have done an exceptional job and will continue to do so. As always, I will follow the draft with interest, not dread as in the previous regimes.

21 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The Bombers have done well at the draft under Walters but it's interesting to note that the team has the second lowest amount of draft picks from the last 6 years still on the team.

It’s not too surprising to me when you look at the guys who’ve been big fa pick ups for other teams and gone to the nfl. I’d like to see the stats for drafted by that team and 1 on a cfl roster and 2 a starter in the cfl. We’d move up on that list fast. 

There's no way of actually knowing but it would be interesting to know how many talented players are out there who could have qualified as a Canadian in the CFL but nobody discovered them.  In this guy's case sounds like it never would have been discovered had it not been for him showing up at an Elks open try out.    

Not expecting much from the bombers from the Global draft this year. There isn't an advantage to dressing more than two globals. Going to be very difficult for someone to crack the roster this year because they will essentially need to be good enough to beat out a Canadian. Wouldn't mind drafting a global kicker/punter if there is someone of high quality on the board. It would give us one more option out of training camp.

7 hours ago, Mike said:

This isn’t really a hot take but this draft is terrible

I have the lowest of expectations for anybody making an impact on our roster

Certainly not as a starter. Not unless we hit a lotto on an nfl guy. But I think this draft has more teams guys than most, and we could very much use a restock on kick cover. 

49 minutes ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

The draft isn't terrible.  Plenty of quality players.

I never said there aren’t quality players. Of course there are quality players. Overall, it’s a very weak draft class. 

29 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Anyone know anything about Noah Curtis? 
Clearly he’s lacking something, otherwise he’d be NFL-bound. 
Still, that kind of size in the interior… As long as he doesn’t Ekkakitie himself he’d be rotational at worst. 

doesn't necessarily mean there's anything "wrong" with him... he's probably just not that good... based on that 3DN quick write up, it definitely sounds like he has some promise. 

Karl Schmitz bounced around the NFL after being spotted on Youtube kicking a 70 yard field goal. His age isn't that big a deal to me for this season. What else do we expect from a low second round global pick. The fact that we got someone who might help us in some way at that slot is notable. I was thinking maybe we would snag an NFL bound global at that pick.