2023 CFL Draft Discussion

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The article talking about him and the possibility of him ending up here had Kyle Walters saying he’d be a hard talent to pass on. 
 Also his resume does say that. 2021 23 catches 10 went for tds 24+ yards a per catch with 15+ yards per punt return and adding another 2 tds on punt returns. 2022 28 catches 8 for tds for 17 ypc to go along with 3 punt return tds and 17.5 yards per punt return. 

Check the article again.  Walters isn't saying anything about his talent being too good to pass on, he's just saying that IF it came down to MOSJ and someone very similar, it'd be hard to overlook the personal connection.

"There is a personal level, it’s hard not to put that in there. You try to trust the film and numbers. Where does he slot in on the receiver rankings? If it’s a coin flip in the draft, this guy or this guy, it would be hard not to call Mike Jr.’s name, if it came to that,”

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The article talking about him and the possibility of him ending up here had Kyle Walters saying he’d be a hard talent to pass on. 
 Also his resume does say that. 2021 23 catches 10 went for tds 24+ yards a per catch with 15+ yards per punt return and adding another 2 tds on punt returns. 2022 28 catches 8 for tds for 17 ypc to go along with 3 punt return tds and 17.5 yards per punt return. 

No where does his resume suggest he is a talent to hard to pass on, nor did Walters say that. His numbers are from the CJFL and he was unable to crack the starting lineup in CIS. His testing and his testing numbers were average at best at the combine and he had to go through the regionals to get invited to that. He is projected to be a late round pick, if he is picked at all. 

49 minutes ago, Jesse said:

MOS doesn't publicly reveal a whole lot. Keeps things really close to the chest.

For him to say that it would not be a good idea to draft the boy makes me think we're going to take a hard pass.

Walters was talking about that, mos was talking about nepotism, how he advised his son to prepare for interviews etc. 

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

No where does his resume suggest he is a talent to hard to pass on, nor did Walters say that. His numbers are from the CJFL and he was unable to crack the starting lineup in CIS. His testing and his testing numbers were average at best at the combine and he had to go through the regionals to get invited to that. He is projected to be a late round pick, if he is picked at all. 

Cjfl is a higher level of talent than many cis programs and easily a conference or two. They’ve developed lots of talent especially lately  

32 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Check the article again.  Walters isn't saying anything about his talent being too good to pass on, he's just saying that IF it came down to MOSJ and someone very similar, it'd be hard to overlook the personal connection.

You’re right he was more subtle than I recalled. They also wouldn’t be talking about it or him if he didn’t have the talent and didn’t think it was a possibility. 

11 hours ago, Stickem said:

That's a tough call on Mos. Jr.......Every scribe and yokel in the country would be screaming 'nepotism'.......I say to hell with that and IF he's good enough and makes the grade sign him....If he's anything like his dad he'll be a beast

FYI: the current term is "nepo-baby". If you didn't know that, you would not have slept well tonight.

O’Shea Jr was a guy I thought was really going to be a player a couple years ago but seems like he may have peaked and his pro potential seems slim at best. I would be happy to see us sign him as a UDFA or something, but I hope for both SR and JR that we don’t invest a draft pick - not fair to either one.

On 2023-04-13 at 11:50 AM, JCon said:

If available, I could see us taking an OL that has NFL interest in the 2nd or 3rd round. I remember reading that there are a couple out there. It's worked out well for us in the past. 

Although, I have also read that our OL is terrible, so maybe we need to replace everyone now!?

Our offensive line is terrible according to Danny Austin or Riderfans. Austin is supposedly now covering the Flames for Postmedia but he drops by social media like Twitter to disparage the Bombers every so often. Whenever I've challenged that little twit & I have a number of times he never answers. So, I think he's a coward. Amyone who won't stand behind or defend what they post to me is cowardly, Austin's become a Stamps homer & a troll. Thinks he's the smartest guy in the room when he isn't. 

On 2023-04-15 at 5:48 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Our offensive line is terrible according to Danny Austin or Riderfans. Austin is supposedly now covering the Flames for Postmedia but he drops by social media like Twitter to disparage the Bombers every so often. Whenever I've challenged that little twit & I have a number of times he never answers. So, I think he's a coward. Amyone who won't stand behind or defend what they post to me is cowardly, Austin's become a Stamps homer & a troll. Thinks he's the smartest guy in the room when he isn't. 

Postmedia, say no more. 

I wonder if we look at this kid from Brandon in the draft.  He didn't make the top 20 draft rankings but he had a pretty good combine.  Still has some work to do from the sounds of it but it might be a good pipeline pick and him wanting to be here is not a bad thing either!

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/17/2023-cfl-draft-profiles-saskatchewans-dayton-black-transitioned-from-record-setting-qb-to-top-ol-prospect/

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I wonder if we look at this kid from Brandon in the draft.  He didn't make the top 20 draft rankings but he had a pretty good combine.  Still has some work to do from the sounds of it but it might be a good pipeline pick and him wanting to be here is not a bad thing either!

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/17/2023-cfl-draft-profiles-saskatchewans-dayton-black-transitioned-from-record-setting-qb-to-top-ol-prospect/

Really interesting seemingly high upside guy. Don’t feel like we draft locals often but he did go to the dark side for school. 

5 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I would be tempted to groom him as a replacement for Prukop as a devastating short-yardage QB.

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Now, how many of those will never come to the CFL, won't come until after they've exhausted all their NFL opportunities, or will come directly to the CFL? 

Seems like the top 7 may have the NFL in their near future... how long they'll stick down there is anyone's guess though.

30 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Just for some reference I cross referenced the top names to Dane Brugler's (from the Athletic) full 7 round NFL mock draft and here is where he has the top five players landing:

1. Matthew Bergeron: NFL mock: Round 2, #53 overall 
2. Chase Brown: Rd 5, #136
3. Sydney Brown: Rd 4, #104
4. Tavius Robinson: Rd 7, #236
5. Sidy Sow: Rd 5, #146

Robinson might drop out but if he's on the mock there's a good chance he'll sign as an UDFA if he doesn't get drafted... he has the Bears taking Bergeron and Chase Brown

5 hours ago, JCon said:

Now, how many of those will never come to the CFL, won't come until after they've exhausted all their NFL opportunities, or will come directly to the CFL? 

I think a good few will move up here eventually. But most of the top chunk won’t play this year in the cfl.  It’s a great year to take flyers on high up side guys but it could be costly for the bottom half of the teams. 

I’m hoping we take a flyer or two for sure.