2023 CFL Draft Discussion

23 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Yeah Chase Brown and Jared Wayne have a good chance of getting picked today.  Sucks for the CFL but good for Canadians playing football.

I think long term it's a good thing for the CFL because more kids will now take up football at a grassroots level, with NFL aspirations and if that's not an option, they'll always have us. The more kids in football the better. 

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

When you review the past draft picks by the Bombers it becomes clear that more than one or two players that make the team is little short of amazing.

Maybe after 5-6 years. If you look at the mafias average in the first 3 ish years it’s easily more like 3+. Our 19 draft yielded 6 cflers. 5 guys from 16 stuck for a couple years with 4 really good cflers. 2020 put 4 guys in our roster that are still here today. 3 in 14, 5 in 15, 4 guys in 17 plus 1 that kicked around prs, etc. 

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe after 5-6 years. If you look at the mafias average in the first 3 ish years it’s easily more like 3+. Our 19 draft yielded 6 cflers. 5 guys from 16 stuck for a couple years with 4 really good cflers. 2020 put 4 guys in our roster that are still here today. 3 in 14, 5 in 15, 4 guys in 17 plus 1 that kicked around prs, etc. 

Pretty good record especially considering the years previous, when we wandering around in the wilderness and didnt know a player with talent, from a rock in the desert.....Which brings me to a couple of days from now, and I know Kyle and Mike O have some talented pics all ready for the future, and maybe one that will start right away...Just think back to the days of sleepy Joe and his ineptness, and you just know we're in superior hands

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Pretty good record especially considering the years previous, when we wandering around in the wilderness and didnt know a player with talent, from a rock in the desert.....Which brings me to a couple of days from now, and I know Kyle and Mike O have some talented pics all ready for the future, and maybe one that will start right away...Just think back to the days of sleepy Joe and his ineptness, and you just know we're in superior hands

Wonder how many seasons tickets were sold when Sleepy Joe announced that he drafted Jade Etienne? 

1 hour ago, WinnipegGordo said:

The Bombers have done well at the draft under Walters but it's interesting to note that the team has the second lowest amount of draft picks from the last 6 years still on the team.

Real cool stat. Maybe someone can explain the correlation between retained draft picks and wins, if any? 

Edited by Rod Black

28 minutes ago, Booch said:

Goosen retired...kongbo and ford in NFL..desjarlais went..then when came back we were capped out...exume..chungh..went to play closer to home...Couture we essentially replaced...and several of other picks on other rosters...seems to me we drafted pretty well

Yup, and Eli is back on the roster as well.

41 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yup, and Eli is back on the roster as well.

Yeah we talked about this when Ferguson first posted that.  Not only is it inaccurate (Eli had already re-signed by that time) but choosing 6 years of data is pretty random and arbitrary.  If he uses 5 years, the stats are way different.