2023 CFL Draft Discussion

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

What's the point of doing a detailed mock draft when those details are wrong?  I'm not convinced that he actually watches games other than the ones he works.  Last year Ferguson said that the Riders weren't desperate for help on the o-line - anyone with a pair of eyes could see that was way off.  

Hodge isn't much better... he had us taking an OL early because it filled a "need" for us.  Not sure where he saw the need but the team obviously didn't feel the same way since they took a grand total of zero OL last year.

I do enjoy reading the mock drafts but they hold next to no value.

Agree with your last sentence/comment, but do enjoy reading the mocks and getting a prospective of the upcoming players by these guys... Where they go and to who, not that important to me.. its a mock draft, not reality!!!

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think we go BDPA (best defensive player available) in round one and likely rounds one and two. If we take an OL its a later round, more developmental, send back to school player.

Agree with your comment and this years draft .... as far as OL, the kid out of Brandon who's going to U of SK fits that bill,,,,,

Further the Bombers have brought back Brandon Sanford (UBC, who was at camp last year, sent back to school) and signed Tyler Grisolla from U of Toronto just lately, who I would think one of them may be the development player after camp breaks....

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I think we go BDPA (best defensive player available) in round one and likely rounds one and two. If we take an OL its a later round, more developmental, send back to school player.

Agree with your comment and this years draft .... as far as OL, the kid out of Brandon who's going to U of SK fits that bill,,,,,

Further the Bombers have brought back Brandon Sanford (UBC, who was at camp last year, sent back to school) and signed Tyler Grisolla from U of Toronto just lately, who I would think one of them may be the development player after camp breaks....

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

If available, I could see us taking an OL that has NFL interest in the 2nd or 3rd round. I remember reading that there are a couple out there. It's worked out well for us in the past. 

Although, I have also read that our OL is terrible, so maybe we need to replace everyone now!?

Oh, those "Monday Morning Quarterbacks" they are in the know!!!

41 minutes ago, JCon said:

If available, I could see us taking an OL that has NFL interest in the 2nd or 3rd round. I remember reading that there are a couple out there. It's worked out well for us in the past. 

Although, I have also read that our OL is terrible, so maybe we need to replace everyone now!?

they're 45 years old!!

2 hours ago, camper_2 said:

Well, Mike please provide your 3 round detailed mock draft...

As mentioned last week, when another decided to rip someone,  its a chat forum with all supposely providing their thoughts, suggestions, etc... I for one, look forward to John Hodge's and Marshall Ferguson's mock drafts...

So because all opinions are welcome, I’m not allowed to say someone who gets paid to express theirs is bad at doing what they do? And for the record, I don’t pay attention to the draft much anymore, but when I did, I would notice many of the mocks shared by posters here (mine included) were miles better than any of the ones the talking heads would come up with. 

12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Dunk's draft picks are the only ones that have proved truly reliable, in the past. 

Sure, but you probably are looking at his mock draft that was provided on May 1, 2022... Draft day was May 3, 2022... That to me, is like getting an answer sheet on your test paper that you are writing in two days...

If you call that predictions thats great, no problem, but these other guys are providing mock drafts much earlier and then doing revised ones closer to draft day as well.... 

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I swear Marshall Ferguson is the most useless CFL analyst out there. Nothing he says ever makes any sense and it reeks of a guy who has the connections to get places but no ability to do anything with what he’s seeing. Cole Tucker and Jake Maier working underneath to imitate Collaros and Schoen? Schoen led the entire league in yards per catch because he was blowing the top off the D, not working underneath in the soft spots. Michael Brodrique to Montreal, he’s French! BC traded a number 1 overall pick LB for a 9th overall pick to draft … a LB! David Dallaire to be FB4 for Montreal in the second round, he’s French!

I didn't take the collaros and scheon comparison to be like for like....just a comparison of how well the two would work together in a short amount of time.

I love mock drafts, period. I'm glad for any information about potential CFL prospects. It's the only source where I can learn about some of these prospects. And the CFL draft is by far the toughest to accurately predict. Teams are generally not picking the best player available, at least early, given NFL interest. Toughest draft for a GM of any pro sports team in North America because of that. Balancing whether someone can play in the CFL, with will they ever want to play in the CFL, with the positional value. Walters and his crew have been excellent overall. 

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I’m hoping for an immediate teams player or two. A futures pick, an ol body worth developing or sending back to college. 
 I’d love a big versatile fb/te/hback too.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see another db. 
really though, I want mos jr. I think he’s gonna be a player.  

That's a tough call on Mos. Jr.......Every scribe and yokel in the country would be screaming 'nepotism'.......I say to hell with that and IF he's good enough and makes the grade sign him....If he's anything like his dad he'll be a beast

6 minutes ago, Stickem said:

That's a tough call on Mos. Jr.......Every scribe and yokel in the country would be screaming 'nepotism'.......I say to hell with that and IF he's good enough and makes the grade sign him....If he's anything like his dad he'll be a beast

Osh has said it wouldn't be his choice to have his kid here and feels it would be unfair to everyone.  Kyle, however, says it would be hard not to take him in the draft if it was a toss-up between him & another player.   

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/04/mike-oshea-proud-of-sons-cfl-draft-eligibility-but-believes-him-joining-blue-bombers-wouldnt-be-fair/

12 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Pro sports is a different ball of wax.  A lot of times, the kids of pros just know from their parents' experiences what it takes to make it to the show.  They are also financially able to fund "what it takes".

Name recognition doesn't hurt, but there definitely are other factors.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

Osh has said it wouldn't be his choice to have his kid here and feels it would be unfair to everyone.  Kyle, however, says it would be hard not to take him in the draft if it was a toss-up between him & another player.   

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/04/mike-oshea-proud-of-sons-cfl-draft-eligibility-but-believes-him-joining-blue-bombers-wouldnt-be-fair/

Wouldn't be fair to Mike if he had to cut his son....lol.

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I think it’d be hardest for sr to coach his kid. I think most would look at it in the media as a Gordy Howe playing with his sons moment. 
 But yeah screw any negative stuff that’s all just noise any way. 

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Pro sports is a different ball of wax.  A lot of times, the kids of pros just know from their parents' experiences what it takes to make it to the show.  They are also financially able to fund "what it takes".

Name recognition doesn't hurt, but there definitely are other factors.

Yep. I think the biggest will be how the locker room looks at it. But I think they’d take any one who fifo’S. 

the thing with jr is he didn’t test well athletically and he went from dominating to bit lower useage. Hard to get drafted off that with his career path. 
 I think he likely ends up with either us Toronto or bc. 

Edited by wbbfan

Just now, wbbfan said:

I think it’d be hardest for sr to coach his kid. I think most would look at it in the media as a Gordy Howe playing with his sons moment. 
 But yeah screw any negative stuff that’s all just noise any way. 

Yep. I think the biggest will be how the locker room looks at it. But I think they’d take any one who fifo’S. 

the thing with jr is he didn’t test well athletically and he went from dominating to low useage. Hard to get drafted off that with his career path. 
 I think he likely ends up with either us Toronto or bc. 

I doubt we take him unless he is a bonafide CFLer. His resume does not indicate that. Making MOS end his son's football dreams would be a tough spot for our coach.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

I doubt we take him unless he is a bonafide CFLer. His resume does not indicate that. Making MOS end his son's football dreams would be a tough spot for our coach.

The article talking about him and the possibility of him ending up here had Kyle Walters saying he’d be a hard talent to pass on. 
 Also his resume does say that. 2021 23 catches 10 went for tds 24+ yards a per catch with 15+ yards per punt return and adding another 2 tds on punt returns. 2022 28 catches 8 for tds for 17 ypc to go along with 3 punt return tds and 17.5 yards per punt return. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The article talking about him and the possibility of him ending up here had Kyle Walters saying he’d be a hard talent to pass on. 
 Also his resume does say that. 2021 23 catches 10 went for tds 24+ yards a per catch with 15+ yards per punt return and adding another 2 tds on punt returns. 2022 28 catches 8 for tds for 17 ypc to go along with 3 punt return tds and 17.5 yards per punt return. 

MOS doesn't publicly reveal a whole lot. Keeps things really close to the chest.

For him to say that it would not be a good idea to draft the boy makes me think we're going to take a hard pass.