2023 CFL Draft Discussion

52 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

It can happen but it is very rare. Kongbo was the exception not the rule. Most teams will not entertain the idea. Might see more of it now with the spring leagues in order to get these guys signed though.

2019 - Bombers released Kongbo

2021 - Bombers released Kongbo

2022 - Bombers released Ford

It happens more than you are suggesting and those are just recent examples from our team.

2 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

It happens more than you are suggesting and those are just recent examples from our team.

There's literally an NFL window every year! Shoen was down trying to get a deal too. 

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I disagree. In the CFL you are locked in for 2 years without NFL option. In the spring leagues you can play well and be signed in the NFL at any point of your contract. NFL likes to sign players when they are young. The XFL and USFL are better choices for many high draft picks who just need some pro film to gain NFL interest. OL, in particular, are always in high demand in the NFL and NFL teams are more willing to groom them over time if they are young. Sitting for 2 years in the CFL does not help that.

No i agree.  If he's focus is on NFL only then you're correct.  What I was trying to suggest is that the NFL is an unlikely destination for him.  He's not as good as Desjarlais and he didn't make it. To optimize his non-NFL career earnings he's best being in the CFL now and eating through his entry level deal. If he was NFL bound I think he would have forced his way into the starting lineup last year like Desjarlais did his first year.

1 hour ago, bigg jay said:

I have some level of openness to CFL players being allowed to sign in the NFL the day after the Grey Cup.    There would be an advantage in terms of recruiting and you'd also increase the likelihood of CFL players trying the NFL and failing and having them back in time for CFL training camp the next year.  The downside is that there might be some suggestion that players are playing not to get injured in the playoffs. 

Edited by Colin Unger

51 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hopefully the teams ahead of us go oline and we can nab a nice dl or lb prospect. 

Im never against drafting a quality offensive lineman if they are the board still at the rate we lose them to other cfl teams. But if we could get a difference maker on the defensive line that would be ideal.   Maybe we can get some more help from the global draft. We'd done better than anyone in this regard and 5 out of the first 10 globals who were invited to the combine are defensive lineman. 

15 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I have some level of openness to CFL players being allowed to sign in the NFL the day after the Grey Cup.    There would be an advantage in terms of recruiting and you'd also increase the likelihood of CFL players trying the NFL and failing and having them back in time for CFL training camp the next year.  The downside is that there might be some suggestion that players are playing not to get injured in the playoffs. 

Couple of points here.

1) If the player is released (and not using the option window), they can sign whenever they're able to.  Kongbo was signed to the Niners about 6-7 weeks after the 2019 Grey Cup (we released him about 10 days after GC).

2) You're not considering that some of these players are signing NFL Futures Contracts (like Kongbo did that 1st year) meaning they won't be available until much later in the year.  He signed Jan 1st 2020 but wasn't released until September after getting hurt.

3) I don't think the NFL is looking for players who half-ass it during games and aren't willing to put in full effort.  If they are hoping to make it to the show and get that money, that's not the best way to go about it.

1 hour ago, Colin Unger said:

There would be an advantage in terms of recruiting and you'd also increase the likelihood of CFL players trying the NFL and failing and having them back in time for CFL training camp the next year.  The downside is that there might be some suggestion that players are playing not to get injured in the playoffs. 

IF I'm scouting the games and I see a player who's taking plays off and doggin' it, because of their fear of injury.....he gets put in file 13 and referred to as an 'also ran'.......I'm sure most scouts would do the same and are pretty savvy

23 hours ago, JCon said:

There's literally an NFL window every year! Shoen was down trying to get a deal too. 

Imports and non drafted NATs can sign 2 year deals with an option after the first year. Drafted NATs cannot anymore. Kongbo could because the mandatory 2+1 contract did not exist at that time and he was able to sign a 1+1. Hate to be a TBurg but the part about having to sign a 2+1 is accurate and there is no NFL option until year 2 is completed, this was put into the CBA in 2021.

21 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Couple of points here.

1) If the player is released (and not using the option window), they can sign whenever they're able to.  Kongbo was signed to the Niners about 6-7 weeks after the 2019 Grey Cup (we released him about 10 days after GC).

2) You're not considering that some of these players are signing NFL Futures Contracts (like Kongbo did that 1st year) meaning they won't be available until much later in the year.  He signed Jan 1st 2020 but wasn't released until September after getting hurt.

3) I don't think the NFL is looking for players who half-ass it during games and aren't willing to put in full effort.  If they are hoping to make it to the show and get that money, that's not the best way to go about it.

Kongbo's contract provided the option window that year, we just allowed him out of his contract early because (I would assume) he promised to return or we had a desk drawer new contract in place should he be released.

Edited by GCn20

23 hours ago, bigg jay said:

2019-Bombers released Kongbo but he was heading into his option in a few weeks anyway.

2021- Bombers released Kongbo but he was on an expiring contract anyway.

2023 - Yes the Bombers released Ford a year earlier than they needed to.

14 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Kongbo's contract provided the option window that year, we just allowed him out of his contract early because (I would assume) he promised to return or we had a desk drawer new contract in place should he be released.

That's not what was reported at the time and even if the previous NFL window had been in effect, it wouldn't have mattered to Kongbo as it only applied to players going into the final/option year of their contract.

Blue Bombers defensive end Jonathan Kongbo was released from a three-year contract to sign with the San Francisco 49ers. Had the NFL window, as worded in the CBA, been in effect, the Bombers would have retained Kongbo’s CFL rights, but now that is not the case.

The Bombers honoured a handshake agreement with Kongbo, but they, like all other CFL teams, would rather an official policy be in place sooner rather than later.

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/cfl-nfl-window-situation-still-not-resolved-but-there-are-ongoing-talks-between-two-leagues

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Really great piece here from Our Man Tait on a potential draft pick who grew up idolizing Milt and Charlie: 

Nice! If you look at my original post to start the thread, this is exactly who I was asking about. Would be cool to see him in Blue and Gold.

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

I swear Marshall Ferguson is the most useless CFL analyst out there. Nothing he says ever makes any sense and it reeks of a guy who has the connections to get places but no ability to do anything with what he’s seeing. Cole Tucker and Jake Maier working underneath to imitate Collaros and Schoen? Schoen led the entire league in yards per catch because he was blowing the top off the D, not working underneath in the soft spots. Michael Brodrique to Montreal, he’s French! BC traded a number 1 overall pick LB for a 9th overall pick to draft … a LB! David Dallaire to be FB4 for Montreal in the second round, he’s French!

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I swear Marshall Ferguson is the most useless CFL analyst out there. Nothing he says ever makes any sense and it reeks of a guy who has the connections to get places but no ability to do anything with what he’s seeing. Cole Tucker and Jake Maier working underneath to imitate Collaros and Schoen? Schoen led the entire league in yards per catch because he was blowing the top off the D, not working underneath in the soft spots. Michael Brodrique to Montreal, he’s French! BC traded a number 1 overall pick LB for a 9th overall pick to draft … a LB! David Dallaire to be FB4 for Montreal in the second round, he’s French!

Well, Mike please provide your 3 round detailed mock draft...

As mentioned last week, when another decided to rip someone,  its a chat forum with all supposely providing their thoughts, suggestions, etc... I for one, look forward to John Hodge's and Marshall Ferguson's mock drafts...

18 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

As mentioned last week, when another decided to rip someone,  its a chat forum with all supposely providing their thoughts, suggestions, etc... I for one, look forward to John Hodge's and Marshall Ferguson's mock drafts...

Ferguson has not been very good with his mock drafts, and Hodges are about the same as Maggie the Monkey's picks in football knowledge and accuracy...just a complete waste of time to read really. I am looking forward to Dunk's though, he does a great job and is usually pretty dialed in.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Ferguson has not been very good with his mock drafts, and Hodges are about the same as Maggie the Monkey's picks in football knowledge and accuracy...just a complete waste of time to read really. I am looking forward to Dunk's though, he does a great job and is usually pretty dialed in.

100% this.

31 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

What's the point of doing a detailed mock draft when those details are wrong?  I'm not convinced that he actually watches games other than the ones he works.  Last year Ferguson said that the Riders weren't desperate for help on the o-line - anyone with a pair of eyes could see that was way off.  

Hodge isn't much better... he had us taking an OL early because it filled a "need" for us.  Not sure where he saw the need but the team obviously didn't feel the same way since they took a grand total of zero OL last year.

I do enjoy reading the mock drafts but they hold next to no value.