2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Most teams have their 2 non-SAM linebackers playing essentially interchangeably these days, so I’ll just use that criteria and say I’d rather have McManus, either Williams (Avery or Jordan), Thurman or Judge over Bighill at this point in time. Feels to me like we’re stuck in the same time warp that makes Hamilton fans think Simoni Lawrence is still good. 

What I’d really like to see is if we can scout a young one to come in and replace either Kyrie or Bighill. If we have to use the same excuses of “they’re just covering up for injuries” this year when we’re going to trot out the same guys who we’ve been having that problem with for two years, we’re really doing it to ourselves at this point.

I can see the argument for McManis. But, like you mentioned, he isn’t an MLB. We do lack depth at LB I’d agree, but to say injuries (Bighill and Wilson’s)  weren’t a valid reason is unfair. Wilson is a really good linebacker and him and Bighill probably do play interchangeably- Wilson is covering the deep third like Bighill does, and I don’t see any of the other guys you mentioned doing that either. 

I get the concern, he did miss some plays, one was arguably the most important one of the year (the Kelly scramble). People wanted to dump him after 2019 too and he won the DMOP the next year. 

You can call me an apologist, but he gets guys in the spots they are supposed to be better than anyone, and when he is healthy and not worrying about a SAM struggling in coverage and a WIL who isn’t elite getting to the sidelines, I think he will be better. 

I would love for us to uncover the next Bighill at camp. 

Edited by Geebrr

29 minutes ago, Booch said:

whats he yammerin on about now?

So... when reading posts on these boards- I almost always attribute voices to the poster, due to style and tone... for example- @TBURGESS posts sound like his avatar, Dwight Shrute. @Wideleft is Sam Elliot in... well any movie.

After playing Red Dead redemption 2- I found yours, @Booch- Arthur Morgan... 

1 minute ago, Geebrr said:

I can see the argument for McManis. But, like you mentioned, he isn’t an MLB. We do lack depth at LB I’d agree, but to say injuries (Bighill and Wilson’s)  weren’t a valid reason is unfair. Wilson is a really good linebacker and him and Bighill probably do play interchangeably- Wilson is covering the deep third like Bighill does, and I don’t see any of the other guys you mentioned doing that either. 

I get the concern, he did miss some plays, one was arguably the most important one of the year (the Kelly scramble). People wanted to dump him after 2019 too and he won the DMOP the next year. 

You can call me an apologist, but he gets guys in the spots they are supposed to be better than anyone, and when he is healthy and not worrying about a SAM struggling in coverage and a WIL who isn’t elite getting to the sidelines, I think he will be better. 

No argument about the validity of injuries, I’m just saying they’re both starting to develop a history of missing too many games and/or being too beat up at the end of the year, so if we don’t have a well thought out plan B going into this season, it’s really our own fault. 

We need better play from our DTs and we need health and depth on DE. 

I agree with all of that. 

Just now, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

So... when reading posts on these boards- I almost always attribute voices to the poster, due to style and tone... for example- @TBURGESS posts sound like his avatar, Dwight Shrute. @Wideleft is Sam Elliot in... well any movie.

Booch doesn’t realize the compliment he has just been given.

RIP

1 minute ago, Mike said:

No argument about the validity of injuries, I’m just saying they’re both starting to develop a history of missing too many games and/or being too beat up at the end of the year, so if we don’t have a well thought out plan B going into this season, it’s really our own fault. 

I can’t disagree with that. 

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

We need to find a young DE who we can DI and rotate with the Jeffs. @Mike is right a young linebacker who can swing between WIL and MIKE would be great also. I mean can Cole actually contribute at linebacker or is he just a teams ace?

Cole has never really jumped off the page to me. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

Cole has never really jumped off the page to me. 

Same.

I wonder how many neg-list guys are getting scooped up by the XFL/USFL. I know we’ve been hit hard by it. Donald Payne, Terrell Bonds, John Daka are all names we’ve released on that neg-list reveal that are now in the XFL.

12 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

I wish!  

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

Same.

I wonder how many neg-list guys are getting scooped up by the XFL/USFL. I know we’ve been hit hard by it. Donald Payne, Terrell Bonds, John Daka are all names we’ve released on that neg-list reveal that are now in the XFL.

Ouch. 

I am hoping the extra years of college ball made available after COVID leads to some younger guys heading North that may otherwise not have. 

34 minutes ago, Mike said:

The general consensus you’ll hear is that the hold up is the majority of lower level players don’t want their salaries published.

I've heard it's the League rather then the players, that doesn't want them published because it will make the CFL look less than stellar compared to other leagues.

5 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I've heard it's the League rather then the players, that doesn't want them published because it will make the CFL look less than stellar compared to other leagues.

The MLS publishes salaries and they have plenty of players making less than 70k. I think its time for the CFL to reconsider. The CFL could have a lot more chatter if fans could discuss the exact salary implications of each move a team makes and analyze deeply how one team spends its money compared to another. 

34 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

You may have just created the next great thread idea for this site, matching avatars to posters. Or the next big Karen gathering, depending on the thickness of skin around here. 

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The MLS publishes salaries and they have plenty of players making less than 70k. I think its time for the CFL to reconsider. The CFL could have a lot more chatter if fans could discuss the exact salary implications of each move a team makes and analyze deeply how one team spends its money compared to another. 

Owners in all sports prefer to keep salaries hidden, because once players hear what others make, they use it as leverage in negotiations by making comparables (especially with overpay contracts - “if Fajardo makes $500,000 then Dane Evans is worth more based on the 15-3 season in 2019”) and salaries jump across the board, with profits shrinking and dans paying the freight. The additional headache for the CFL is that since cap enforcement is so weak (the penalties for going over are not much, and for example Sask in 2013 made a $20 million profit off of their stacked team Grey Cup, and maybe paid a few hundred thousand in cap penalties) and “side deals” apparently a thing (Sask. endorsements deals with local companies were a rumoured thing), the league wouldn’t want to expose the fallacy that is the hard cap. Players should always want salaries public because it inevitably drives things upward in all cases. But the player’s union has so little power the owners call the shots, and want to keep their budgets private for tax reasons I suspect. Just my random opinion. 

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Owners in all sports prefer to keep salaries hidden, because once players hear what others make, they use it as leverage in negotiations by making comparables (especially with overpay contracts - “if Fajardo makes $500,000 then Dane Evans is worth more based on the 15-3 season in 2019”) and salaries jump across the board, with profits shrinking and dans paying the freight. The additional headache for the CFL is that since cap enforcement is so weak (the penalties for going over are not much, and for example Sask in 2013 made a $20 million profit off of their stacked team Grey Cup, and maybe paid a few hundred thousand in cap penalties) and “side deals” apparently a thing (Sask. endorsements deals with local companies were a rumoured thing), the league wouldn’t want to expose the fallacy that is the hard cap. Players should always want salaries public because it inevitably drives things upward in all cases. But the player’s union has so little power the owners call the shots, and want to keep their budgets private for tax reasons I suspect. Just my random opinion. 

I am sure every players knows or at least there agent knows what every guy is making it’s a small league 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

We need better play from our DTs and we need health and depth on DE. 

I agree with all of that. 

Booch doesn’t realize the compliment he has just been given.

RIP

I can’t disagree with that. 

I will have to Google that hahaha

35 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

As far as penalties go for exceeding the cap you are correct, except you forgot to mention that the penalty also includes losing your draft pic IF the trangression is severe....The monetary loss is laughable ....losing a shot at a possible up and coming star could come back to bite you.....I know that the draft has the handle..'crapshoot' attached to it but sometimes the dice can come up a winner....GM'S do not like losing pic's ....that's a fact

27 minutes ago, wpgallday1960 said:

So now that the ticats have signed Boateng, would anyone be opposed if we offered our 1st for Mason Bennett?

There seems to be lots of promising OL and DL in this draft. 
I don’t follow NCAA/USports enough to know if anyone appears to have a higher ceiling than Bennett. Anyone else have an idea? 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I don’t follow NCAA/USports enough to know if anyone appears to have a higher ceiling than Bennett. Anyone else have an idea? 

I for one would not have a problem bringing him home......We seem to be very lucky with homegrowns

25 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Unlikely to have a better player for 2023 or 2024.  Most of the high end ones are going to chase the NFL and the ones who will be players immediately will probably be gone at our pick.

Hamilton might be tempted if we give them a couple picks between the 1st and 3rd rounds.  

33 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I’d be shocked if Hamilton traded us Bennett.

I’d also be shocked if we didn’t heavily consider the idea of trying to trade for him or someone like him. They’ve made it pretty clear that this year is *the* year for us, our first round draft pick probably isn’t going to contribute at the level a third year Canadian can. Sure, you can try and sign him next offseason but we want to win now.

I’d offer up our first rounder without hesitation. I think it’d take more