2022/2023 Off-Season (League/Non-Bombers-specific News)

Noeller

Just now, 17to85 said:

It's easy to look a step slow when you have to cover for everyone. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point simply because he did improve later in the year when some other areas started to get solidified. I don't know he has a long time left, but for now I give him the benefit of the doubt. 

If only we had not committed ourselves to surrounding our struggling, aging MLB with players who are very injury prone or coming off major surgeries. 

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

Genuinely one of the worst contracts in the CFL, in my opinion.

Statistically one of the worst middle linebackers in the CFL and he’s the highest paid American LB? If we’re in the Grey Cup this year, he’ll be 35 at kickoff, has developed a recent trend of being too hurt by the end of the season to be effective when it matters and is visibly slower every single year, but we treat him around here like he’s 28 year old MOP candidate Bighill because FIFO, “he’s covering for other people” and because he’s a SAV4GE. I know Bighill has intangibles and leadership that bring value to the room, but the blind love for his play over the past few years has me really puzzled. He’s not good.

The last COUPLE of years? He's one year out from being the MODP! Lol. His play last year wasn't great, I agree and I could understand thinking he's trending that way. But pretending he's been a problem for years is flat out false.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

If only we had not committed ourselves to surrounding our struggling, aging MLB with players who are very injury prone or coming off major surgeries. 

Who is coming off major surgery? And Jeffcoat is injury prone sure...but other than that...?

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

“he’s pretty good” isn’t exactly what I’m going for when we’re talking about the highest paid player in his position, but I wouldn’t even agree with that assessment, personally.

He was a step behind a ton of plays and as it was happening, everyone chalked it up to “well he’s just covering for other people so they’re using him differently” and to me, he just looked slow and a step behind. He was probably the most constant offender on our entire D when it came to whiffed arm tackles. He averaged 4 tackles a game and didn’t really contribute a whole lot else, which is not what I’m looking for from a top level MLB. Yes, I get he can drop back in coverage and give different looks, but so can a guy who can fly around a bit more and have a little more impact on the field. Part of me wonders if O’Shea sees a reflection of himself in Bighill, the decline in overall play has been very similar to what O’Shea saw when his time was coming to an end. 

If you’re looking to set me up for an I told you so, you’ll be looking for a long time. I hope Bighill has an absolutely massive season for us. Why would I want anything less?

He did play over half the season with a shoulder injury which is likely the cause of the whiffed arm tackles. 

16 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Who is coming off major surgery? And Jeffcoat is injury prone sure...but other than that...?

Referring to last year when we made the mistake of prioritizing Maston over Darby and then pairing him with Kyrie to surround Bighill.

Love me some Kyrie … really really underrated and fantastic player … but the guy is a bandaid. He’s played like 33% of our games in the past two years. 

22 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:
4W9QB76P_normal.jpg

Trevor Harris says he told his wife back in 2015 he would love to be the quarterback of the #Riders. "This is a dream come true." #CFL

Dream? More like a nightmare.

11Point7: The College Baseball Podcast 🎙 on Twitter: "Please watch this  video https://t.co/ybaj7Bangv" / Twitter

And even if it did, he probably meant Rough Riders, hence why he signed with Ottawa a year later.

The Bozo Show in Riderville is already off to a great start.

Edited by blue_gold_84

25 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:
4W9QB76P_normal.jpg

Trevor Harris says he told his wife back in 2015 he would love to be the quarterback of the #Riders. "This is a dream come true." #CFL

Dream? More like a nightmare.

Lol I’m sure Harris was just super elated to join the 3-15 2015 Riders team….. 

40 minutes ago, Mike said:

Referring to last year when we made the mistake of prioritizing Maston over Darby and then pairing him with Kyrie to surround Bighill.

Love me some Kyrie … really really underrated and fantastic player … but the guy is a bandaid. He’s played like 33% of our games in the past two years. 

oh IC. That's fair.

20 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

His arm was in a sling after the season. Had arm or shoulder surgery I believe.

and hand surgery. Saw him at my sons Flag football game and he had a cast on the right hand. Walters (who was also there) said it was just a small surgery on his hand.

Edited by Bigblue204

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

oh IC. That's fair.

and hand surgery. Saw him at my sons Flag football game and he had a cast on the right hand. Walters (who was als there) said it was just a small surgery on his hand.

I had a buddy who required a “small surgery” on his hand…it was a bit of a nightmare 😂

The stuff about the Argo win being a fluke.

You make plays or you don’t. They made enough at the right time to win, we didn’t. 

It happens. That’s how I see it. 

59 minutes ago, Mike said:

BUT...He didnt have surgery, so thats a bonus...his first 2 yrs here he wasnt a starter..role and PR guy...played full slate in 2019...60% of games in Grey Cup #1 yr...and was lights out down the stretch that yr....last yr was really only significant time lost.....and when he is on field...I would say he is top 3 at that position in the CFL...his resumption this yr, with Darby from day one will be a huge boost

44 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

His arm was in a sling after the season. Had arm or shoulder surgery I believe.

he had a messed shoulder good last half the season

2 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Trevor Haris after the 2015 Season:

So on one hand you can go to Ottawa and win a Cup... 

Or on the other hand....

T3Py3Ex.jpeg

Yeah, tough call...

Edited by bluto

4 hours ago, Booch said:

But now probably making what...less than half of that now in XFL..even with exchange significant less...guess shows that SASK was gonna way over pay to keep, and no other team thought that even 160k for him was a worthy price....I can just imagine the premium they played for basically...Tier 2 at best free agent talent

I believe Sankey at max will make $80k and that’s after bonuses are maxed. 

3 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

80k USD with better taxes - a chance to catch an NFL eye before camp, and would have no problem returning to the CFL after the season before camp starts. 

Whether his body can hold up to that is some only he knows. 

I believe he's been in the NFL already. I'm not sure that window is still open for him. 

13 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

80k USD with better taxes - a chance to catch an NFL eye before camp, and would have no problem returning to the CFL after the season before camp starts. 

Whether his body can hold up to that is some only he knows. 

106k Canadian....far cry from 160k....and his NFL window is non existent any more...that ship has long sailed away.

4 hours ago, Stickem said:

Now Elli is somewhere else and I for one wasn't that sad to see him go.....I know he was injured  last year....bad sign at his age ....more than likely why we moved on

The guy was cruising to a 1500 yard season until he got hurt & missed 9 freaking games with an injury we still know nothing about. What a waste of money Ellingson was. But we keep signing these 33 year old plus receivers & we're surprised when they can't play.