Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

7 hours ago, blue85gold said:

Local kid (only 19) trying out for the Bombers as a territorial exemption. 

Mekhi Tyrell, anyone know anything about him?

Drew interest from the NCAA but had academic issues.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/04/19/newest-bomber-way-ahead-of-his-time

so, from the kid's brother: 

“I know that he can adapt really quickly and he’s smart. He’s a smart kid but he just doesn’t choose to use all of his brain (sometimes),” said Avante Tyrell.

I really hope the kid figures it out and it's just a matter of maturing, but....that's concerning. I mean, pro sports careers are so short..... a four year education paid for my the school should be automatic. 

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

Back in 1995, Mike Sellers got signed by Edmonton at 19, making him the youngest import in CFL history.  

Yep, as a mlber not a fb or te too. Made his path to the nfl by tremendous special teams plays and goal line versatility that led him to becoming a fb/te. 

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

“I know that he can adapt really quickly and he’s smart. He’s a smart kid but he just doesn’t choose to use all of his brain (sometimes),” said Avante Tyrell.

I really hope the kid figures it out and it's just a matter of maturing, but....that's concerning. I mean, pro sports careers are so short..... a four year education paid for my the school should be automatic. 

some kids even very smart just don’t fit with the teaching style or content of hs/college. It can be a huge asset to get 4 years of free college. But at the same time a lot of people have useless degrees. 
I think pro sports should do a better job of giving kids options other than college. 

13 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Does anyone know the 40 yard time of this kid? 

One of Tyrell’s closest confidantes, Recruit Ready founder Brad Black, says his pupil, a 4.57 man in the 40-yard dash, is the most polished prospect he’s ever seen coming out of high school and is considered the No. 1 receiver prospect in Canada.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/2023/01/12/winnipeg-receiver-turning-heads

3 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

One of Tyrell’s closest confidantes, Recruit Ready founder Brad Black, says his pupil, a 4.57 man in the 40-yard dash, is the most polished prospect he’s ever seen coming out of high school and is considered the No. 1 receiver prospect in Canada.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/2023/01/12/winnipeg-receiver-turning-heads

Someone wanna post the whole article?

Looks big for his listed size. Smooth, fluid, great hands and cuts. I can certainly see why he’s drawn soo much interest from the major college football programs down south. 
 To me he looks like a guy worth sitting on the pr and developing. Short of some thing awful happening he’s a super high upside guy that’s rare to get cheap little on free. And I mean Jordan reaves is still kicking around the league. 

21 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Does he still have USport or NCAA aspirations? If so, he can't sign an official contract correct? So if he goes on our practice roster, he loses that eligibility correct? I like the idea on him being on our pr, working with the club, being mentored etc but wondering if its possible.

Seems not paying him is a potential loophole:

21 hours ago, Noeller said:

I'm hoping it means maybe he's football smart but not exactly book smart... I do agree that not being academically eligible for college sports does seems like a red flag. 

7 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm hoping it means maybe he's football smart but not exactly book smart... I do agree that not being academically eligible for college sports does seems like a red flag. 

I'm hoping it's this.  In one of the earlier Free Press articles, he mentioned that that when he left Winnipeg to go to prep school, it was an adjustment for him but once he got the playbook down, his play took off.  Demski also mentioned, in the same article, that he understands football real well but even if he doesn't get it immediately,  practice rosters are great for development.

Obviously going to the pro level will be an entirely different beast, but hopefully with time, he'll be able to live up to his potential.

Demski is a key piece in all of this, to me. If the kid was too dumb to make it, I think Demski would have said something. For sure Walters would have checked with him. So hopefully this is all much ado about nothing and the kid turns out to be a superstar and a good person that fits in. 

7 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Does he still have USport or NCAA aspirations? If so, he can't sign an official contract correct? So if he goes on our practice roster, he loses that eligibility correct? I like the idea on him being on our pr, working with the club, being mentored etc but wondering if it’s possible.

Doesn’t sound like the schooling side will fit with him. 
 I think it’d be great if teams could have junior and even cis kids on a separate roster. Not eligible to play but can practice and sit in on meetings and film study. It’d be a big boost to grass roots development. 

5 hours ago, bearpants said:

he certainly seems it. The route running, high pointing and late grabbing really shows a natural competitive intelligence that you can’t teach. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

Demski is a key piece in all of this, to me. If the kid was too dumb to make it, I think Demski would have said something. For sure Walters would have checked with him. So hopefully this is all much ado about nothing and the kid turns out to be a superstar and a good person that fits in. 

100%

5 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

good for him. Great guy, but time for us to move on. 
 It’s kind of crazy to see the stamps signing our established guys who we are moving on from especially past their prime guys. Don’t get me wrong I think he can contribute. He’d be great as a sub package guy. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Doesn’t sound like the schooling side will fit with him. 
 I think it’d be great if teams could have junior and even cis kids on a separate roster. Not eligible to play but can practice and sit in on meetings and film study. It’d be a big boost to grass roots development. 

he certainly seems it. The route running, high pointing and late grabbing really shows a natural competitive intelligence that you can’t teach. 

100%

good for him. Great guy, but time for us to move on. 
 It’s kind of crazy to see the stamps signing our established guys who we are moving on from especially past their prime guys. Don’t get me wrong I think he can contribute. He’d be great as a sub package guy. 

Yah, the Stamps signing a DB that old indicates to me their time in the sun is almost over, it looks like the wheels are starting to wobble with the GM change from Huff to Dickie.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yah, the Stamps signing a DB that old indicates to me their time in the sun is almost over, it looks like the wheels are starting to wobble with the GM change from Huff to Dickie.

I think the wheels wobbled the last two years. I think this year could bring change to cow town.