Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Kyle Walters is so wonderfully good at his job. I still can’t get over how GOOD they are. 
I lived and breathed Bombers during those awful seasons. 1997. 1998. 2005. 2009. ‘12 and so forth. 
The organization as a whole is just so…great. 

You didn't live thru the Earl Lunsford years. Other than a few good years under Jim Spavital, Bud Riley & ray Jauch, it was mostly dismal. Any player he didn't like or he felt crossed him he got rid of because his huge ego would be offended. Basically 15 years of mediocrity. He was hired as Stamps GM in the mid 80's & his teams there were even worse. 

5 hours ago, CodyT said:

All the legs supporters who blatantly gave us skeptics a hard time...

Our 3 x gc attending gm signed an American kicker. Shows all the confidence he has in legs

I could see Leggs being the punter and Sergio handling the kicking duties. Their salaries would prolly add up to what Medlock was making.

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Like 5 kickers in camp now. Sweet 

I think it's up to 8 if you count punters, but I'm sure we'll quickly let some guys go now that Sergio is on board.

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

I could see Leggs being the punter and Sergio handling the kicking duties. Their salaries would prolly add up to what Medlock was making.

That was my first thought, but he's still facing heavy competition. He'll need to show up stronger if he wants that job.

10 hours ago, CodyT said:

Our 3 x gc attending gm signed an American kicker. Shows all the confidence he has in legs

No one said he shouldn't be challenged for a job.  They just said that he shouldn't be cut on November 21, 2022.

10 hours ago, CodyT said:

I'm assuming you missed the multiple times he's said throughout the offseason that he'd be bringing in lots of competition for that spot....? And also the other american kicker(s?) he's already signed?

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You didn't live thru the Earl Lunsford years. Other than a few good years under Jim Spavital, Bud Riley & ray Jauch, it was mostly dismal. Any player he didn't like or he felt crossed him he got rid of because his huge ego would be offended. Basically 15 years of mediocrity. He was hired as Stamps GM in the mid 80's & his teams there were even worse. 

So Lunsford was the 70s answer to Brendan Taman? 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

That was my first thought, but he's still facing heavy competition. He'll need to show up stronger if he wants that job.

He's plenty strong... Massive leg on him.... But placement is the key. He was good last year but maybe by only doing one job he can be GREAT this year. Lots of drops inside the 5.

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I like the combo of Sergio and Leggs.....The kid still has learning years and Castillo definitely affords him that....It was a successful team in 21' ....should be again.....Another solid Leg-up for the Bombers in 23'.....(pardon the pun)

Leggs should probably be happy if this turns out to be the case, still earns the same money but removes the pressure of making game winning FG's from his duties.

5 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

So Lunsford was the 70s answer to Brendan Taman? 

Yeah, that would be a good analogy. Lol. Truthfully, Lunsford was a mean spirited SOB who didn't like to be crossed. He ran a lot of great players out of town. In particular, supertars like Dave Raimey, Mack Heron, Jim Thorpe, Bernie Ruoff & Don Jonas. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'm assuming you missed the multiple times he's said throughout the offseason that he'd be bringing in lots of competition for that spot....? And also the other american kicker(s?) he's already signed?

Nope. I'm talking pre grey cup and post grey cup. You guys are hilarious how you change the narriative. Noeller literly said anyone who suggested a different kicker knew nothing about football. Good thing about this site is their is plenty of receipts.

18 hours ago, CodyT said:

There was nothing quite as insufferable as watching people clamor to defend someone who is clearly over his skis as a kicker, missing extra points as a routine and likely costing us a Grey Cup last year. As many warned was a likely scenario 

Edited by White Out

3 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Nope. I'm talking pre grey cup and post grey cup. You guys are hilarious how you change the narriative. Noeller literly said anyone who suggested a different kicker knew nothing about football. Good thing about this site is their is plenty of receipts.

That's how this site has been functioning for the last few years.        Someone has an opinion,   someone else disagrees and provides facts to back why they disagree,   original person changes narrative because they were wrong and attacks.  Rinse and repeat.     

It gets really silly when it's a really black and white thing such as place kicking because the numbers are easily something that can tell a story.   

12 minutes ago, CodyT said:

Yet you provide none.

I absolutely said something along the lines of "If you're blaming Liegghio for the GC loss you are a moron or you didn't watch the game"..... that is 100% something I'd say, and I stand by it. This "he's clearly over his head" is such a crock of bullshit from dummies who really don't understand what they're looking at, or choose to ignore ACTUAL facts, like the fact that Casey Sayles whiffed badly on a block, which caused the last kick to be partially blocked. But there's a lot of dummies who just see "missed kick" and scream about the 95% CIS Career kicker.....or see a missed PAT and scream..... it's just such a "I don't really know what I'm watching, but this is what it seems like to me" thing......

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yeah, that would be a good analogy. Lol. Truthfully, Lunsford was a mean spirited SOB who didn't like to be crossed. He ran a lot of great players out of town. In particular, supertars like Dave Raimey, Mack Heron, Jim Thorpe, Bernie Ruoff & Don Jonas. 

Mack Heron especially.....the little guy was tar and feathered because he had someone smoking  marijuana at a party at his apartment on Henderson Highway....He was tried and convicted by that sob and sent packing....Mack was a star for the team at the time and deserved a better fate ....Ruoff also left because of a joint being smoked....Sounds kind of an over reach by the standards held even in those days ....especially when you think of what goes on these days with regard to recreational mj

Heron & Ruoff were sent away because the team had a zero tolerance rule on drugs.

You're Heron story is wrong. It wasn't just someone at a party with pot. The Ruoff story that I heard at the time from someone 'close to the club' was that the cops caught Bernie's wife with pot and she told them, it's not mine, it's Bernie's thinking he'd just get off because of who he was. 

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

I'm a bit confused. You said something along the lines of they must not be as confident like others said they were because they signed a kicker. My point was Walters has said all off season this is what they'd be doing...no narrative changed. Legs didn't lose the GC, he struggled throughout the year and deserves competition.