Grey Cup 2022 GDT

K-Shack

What was the deal with the player package on that Prukop interception?

That came off of a 13 yard Brady run for a first down, and only the 2nd play of the drive. I thought Prukop was effective where he gets a short yardage first down, and they keep him out there and try to catch the opponent with a mismatched package, either for a designed run outside or a quick pass... was he out there at the start of the drive or did they sub off Collaros for that play?

8 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Re-watched the game this morning without the red haze of anger and disappointment, and it confirmed what I subjectively felt while watching the game live and have a few thoughts:

To echo other posts, Collaros was nothing short of terrible. Heck, both Bethel-Thompson and Chad Kelly were better than Collaros, and by a long shot. Collaros should have been pulled shortly after half-time, but intellectually I can understand why they did not. Collaros has pulled off upset wins regularly, and we were still in the game, so..... He was also iffy against the Lions, so the trend was there.

There appeared to be zero adjustment at half-time. To put it bluntly, Argo defensive coordinator Corey Mace out-coached Buck Pierce who had no answers for whatever the Argo defence was doing. However, the way Collaros was playing, I am not sure it would have made a difference anyways.

There was no Harris vs Oliveira comparison. Brady was under-utilized but was much, much better than Harris. 

Our vaunted O-line was abused, particularly in the second half. Couture specifically missed several assignments, but the whole damned O-line had difficulty picking up Argo blitzes.

Jamal Parker was solely responsible for letting Kelly crack off that run which greatly impacted the momentum of the game. He has been good overall after a rough start but was once again suffering brain cramps. 

Whoever was responsible for Prukop's wildly ill-advised pass into double coverage ought to be fired. 

We had a good shot at winning right up to the last few minutes, but the Argos refused to fold, and were the better team on Sunday. So close and yet so far.

You rewatched the game? Wow.

I’m still trying to flush it from my memory.

17 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Think we may have to realize all those awards may have made our own crew a little too fat and happy.

yes.

Reminded me a bit of the win over Hamilton, where Bombers were thought to have no chance.

Also, coming out at the start.... maybe looked almost ... too calm and quiet.

perhaps too much "just another game"

Edited by Mark F

2 hours ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

It is still awesoem!

The only thing that makes this sting so much- is how truly shitty that argo team was last nigh- like truly garbage like they were, yet we were worse... That wasn't the Bomber team that I have been watching all year... like WTAF? disappointing more than anything, with a tinge of embarrassment. 

They were hot garbage minus a few of their players. Unfortunately we were hotter at the worst possible times minus a few players.

Did enjoy BB following his usually script in a big game.

3 hours ago, KshyGuy said:

What was the deal with the player package on that Prukop interception?

That came off of a 13 yard Brady run for a first down, and only the 2nd play of the drive. I thought Prukop was effective where he gets a short yardage first down, and they keep him out there and try to catch the opponent with a mismatched package, either for a designed run outside or a quick pass... was he out there at the start of the drive or did they sub off Collaros for that play?

I simply do not understand why we were utilizing Prukop so much in the passing game? Especially in the red zone. My only thought on that is ZC's ankle was a lot worse than anyone, including himself, was letting on and the decision was made earlier in the week to give Prukop a healthy dose of reps to help keep ZC's ankle holding up the entire game. Otherwise it makes no sense, 

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Re-watched the game this morning without the red haze of anger and disappointment, and it confirmed what I subjectively felt while watching the game live and have a few thoughts:

To echo other posts, Collaros was nothing short of terrible. Heck, both Bethel-Thompson and Chad Kelly were better than Collaros, and by a long shot. Collaros should have been pulled shortly after half-time, but intellectually I can understand why they did not. Collaros has pulled off upset wins regularly, and we were still in the game, so..... He was also iffy against the Lions, so the trend was there.

There appeared to be zero adjustment at half-time. To put it bluntly, Argo defensive coordinator Corey Mace out-coached Buck Pierce who had no answers for whatever the Argo defence was doing. However, the way Collaros was playing, I am not sure it would have made a difference anyways.

There was no Harris vs Oliveira comparison. Brady was under-utilized but was much, much better than Harris. 

Our vaunted O-line was abused, particularly in the second half. Couture specifically missed several assignments, but the whole damned O-line had difficulty picking up Argo blitzes.

Jamal Parker was solely responsible for letting Kelly crack off that run which greatly impacted the momentum of the game. He has been good overall after a rough start but was once again suffering brain cramps. 

Whoever was responsible for Prukop's wildly ill-advised pass into double coverage ought to be fired. 

We had a good shot at winning right up to the last few minutes, but the Argos refused to fold, and were the better team on Sunday. So close and yet so far.

Mr. Prukop is responsible for throwing into double coverage. He was given the option to make that throw but I highly doubt the play design was to throw into double coverage if it was there. He either didn't make the right read, or went for it despite what his eyes were telling him. Either way that decision is on him and him alone. No play has only one option for the QB, and the option that is picked is solely determined by the QB read.

4 hours ago, Geebrr said:

It was absolutely pathetic. 

They should not get this game again for a long time. 

It was pathetic for sure. I will say this as well though, it makes a pretty compelling case for moving the season up a month and having this game in October though. I am not offering even a smidgen of an excuse for what happened yesterday to the attendance because every other stadium would have been full or close to it, but I think attendance would have been much better with nicer weather and so would the on field product.

18 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

I'm sure it's tradition, but why doesn't the pre season games start beginning of May and the season start mid May.  I think people would prefer a colder start to the season than a potentially freezing end to the season.

Amen. Would make for better games and show case the CFL talent better, too

38 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

I'm sure it's tradition, but why doesn't the pre season games start beginning of May and the season start mid May.  I think people would prefer a colder start to the season than a potentially freezing end to the season.

Maybe if we can play all the games in domes or Florida.

A few reasons.

Injuries is a big one.

Next, Stanley Cup playoffs.

To me the 14 game season showed me that 14-16 games is plenty.

There are some teams that want more inventory and more teams that are having trouble putting 15,000 in the stands legitimately for the majority of their games.  16 games would be fine.  For the most part the playoff races are done at 16 anyway.

They don't start that soon because the NFL draft is mid April and teams are waiting to see which Canadians get drafted or land free agent deals before our draft. There can still be snow on the ground or poor weather in April. Just a few reasons they don't start until mid June. Heck the first year of IGF in 2013, 1st game was last week of June. I do like the drop of fewer games to say 16.

13 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

They don't start that soon because the NFL draft is mid April and teams are waiting to see which Canadians get drafted or land free agent deals before our draft. There can still be snow on the ground or poor weather in April. Just a few reasons they don't start until mid June. Heck the first year of IGF in 2013, 1st game was last week of June. I do like the drop of fewer games to say 16.

In a gate driven league, I'm sure the owners would not like to reduce the amount of games played.

5 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

I wish I cared more about the Jets, because it will be a long winter.

I just said to my buddies last night "I like hockey, but I just don't like it enough to care as much as I do about the CFL...."  I love curling, and will get excited for the various playdowns starting in January, but honestly, the only thing that's going to get me through this off-season is ice fishing. My wife and I are going to spend a lot of time camping out on a southern Alberta reservoir this winter, and that'll be the one thing I have to look forward to until May...

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It was pathetic for sure. 

I was there, and the concourses/rail bars were packed all night. A lot of Rider fans just socializing in the stadium and out of their seats. It's a tough look on TV, but the fans were there for the most part. Love the new stadium, but it's sure a different atmosphere than the old barn. 

6 hours ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

Can I ask you what the difference is between a cold start sitting in snow & rain or minus 4 in November?? Both suck. People aren't going to show up for a game if it's cold. miserable & wet outside in May while the games mean nothing . Spring can have absolutely shitty weather on the prairies that lasts until the end of June. The season got cold for the playoffs this year which was fine with me & a lot of fans. At least in November there's a reason to fo to games. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, PrairieCFL said:

I was there, and the concourses/rail bars were packed all night. A lot of Rider fans just socializing in the stadium and out of their seats. It's a tough look on TV, but the fans were there for the most part. Love the new stadium, but it's sure a different atmosphere than the old barn. 

Baloney. I am sure the concourses had SOME fans but it's pure apologist bs to suggest that the 15000 ppl who were not in the seats were in the concourse. It's packed in there at 3 or 4k.  

Been to IG West a number of times so I have seen first hand that when the concourses are packed and when you go out into the bowl you can't notice the empty seats.

Edited by GCn20