Grey Cup 2022 GDT

K-Shack

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Can I ask you what the difference is between a cold start sitting in snow & rain or minus 4 in November?? Both suck. People aren't going to show up for a game if it's cold. miserable & wet outside in May while the games mean nothing . Spring can have absolutely shitty weather on the prairies that lasts until the end of June. The season got cold for the playoffs this year which was fine with me & a lot of fans. At least in November there's a reason to fo to games. 

It's not cold or miserable mid May to June in Winnipeg? I'm only in my 50s but the weather in mid May to June is actually really nice, and infinitely better than late October and November. 

May and June actually have very little average precipitation or days with rain on average than July. It's August and September that are historically our driest months.

Edited by GCn20

Thinking out loud...

Does anyone else wonder if locking up playoff spots so early actually hurts us come playoff time? 

Granted there are guys need to rest and heal but surely it has to mess with the rhythm of the team when we sit starters just to keep them safe/fresh.

Collaros mentioned lacking rhythm in his post game and I can't deny that the team seemed to be lacking rhythm in the playoffs this year and last.

1 hour ago, Deiter Fan said:

Thinking out loud...

Does anyone else wonder if locking up playoff spots so early actually hurts us come playoff time? 

Granted there are guys need to rest and heal but surely it has to mess with the rhythm of the team when we sit starters just to keep them safe/fresh.

Collaros mentioned lacking rhythm in his post game and I can't deny that the team seemed to be lacking rhythm in the playoffs this year and last.

There is that angle...but 1st place teams still win Grey Cups more often.

5 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It's not cold or miserable mid May to June in Winnipeg? I'm only in my 50s but the weather in mid May to June is actually really nice, and infinitely better than late October and November. 

May and June actually have very little average precipitation or days with rain on average than July. It's August and September that are historically our driest months.

I grew up in Winnipeg. I was 35 when I moved to Calgary. We all know how bad spring weather can be. I remember some lousy springs when I lived in Winnipeg. Especially if it's a late spring like last year. It's not always nice & warm. Then we also have issues with flooding around the City preventing some out of town fans from getting to the games if they start in late April or May.

In Calgary in April & May we get late season spring snowstorms where up to 20 or 30 cms will fall. I've seen some beautiful springs the past 30 years & I've seen some cold, snowy ones. No one will want to sit outside at McMahon Stadium watching a Stamps game in a snowstorm.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

There is that angle...but 1st place teams still win Grey Cups more often.

Not suggesting the team shouldn't aim for first...just wondering if, perhaps, keeping up first string intensity right through to the eventual end of the season might be more beneficial.

The narrative is that with a break the guys will come out rested and healthy when in fact they seem to come out flat and lacking any real rhythm/intensity.

Edited by Deiter Fan

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I grew up in Winnipeg. I was 35 when I moved to Calgary. We all know how bad spring weather can be. I remember some lousy springs when I lived in Winnipeg. Especially if it's a late spring like last year. It's not always nice & warm. Then we also have issues with flooding around the City preventing some out of town fans from getting to the games if they start in late April or May.

In Calgary in April & May we get late season spring snowstorms where up to 20 or 30 cms will fall. I've seen some beautiful springs the past 30 years & I've seen some cold, snowy ones. No one will want to sit outside at McMahon Stadium watching a Stamps game in a snowstorm.

I have been snowed on while camping on May long (in Manitoba).  Have almost never had a nice May long weekend in 30+ years of camping.  

6 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

Not suggesting the team shouldn't aim for first...just wondering if, perhaps, keeping up first string intensity right through to the eventual end of the season might be more beneficial.

The narrative is that with a break the guys will come out rested and healthy when in fact they seem to come out flat and lacking any real rhythm/intensity.

It didn't seem to affect the arblows. 

I think the fact there was no rhythm lies in the fact that he was under pressure the whole ******* game. they dressed 8 D linemen, that was their plan- and it worked. 

10 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Baloney. I am sure the concourses had SOME fans but it's pure apologist bs to suggest that the 15000 ppl who were not in the seats were in the concourse. It's packed in there at 3 or 4k.  

Been to IG West a number of times so I have seen first hand that when the concourses are packed and when you go out into the bowl you can't notice the empty seats.

Agree to disagree, but it was a good good crowd. IG West? lol, not anymore - the Bomber curse of Mosaic just ended. 

6 minutes ago, PrairieCFL said:

Agree to disagree, but it was a good good crowd. IG West? lol, not anymore - the Bomber curse of Mosaic just ended. 

We lost to the Argos- not the riders. 

It will be IG field West until we get beat regularly by the riders.  The Bomber curse continues. 

:)

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It pisses me off that we care more than Toronto does. Like the City not the players cuz Argos guys showed some real emotion after the W. And it's warming up this week so a parade Thurs Friday would have been good 

Happy for the players and the dozen fans... but man that city doesn't ******* deserve that team let alone the Grey Cup. And so it goes- the Grey Cup into the memory hole that is the toronto CFL franchise. 

The Bombers drew like 33k some games lol

But 33k for Grey cup with lots of ppl dressed as seats isn't a good Grey Cup crowd 

But for Regina? Maybe it is

I'd be disappointed if Grey Cup here didn't require temp seating 

Edited by Goalie

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

The Bombers drew like 33k some games lol

But 33k for Grey cup with lots of ppl dressed as seats isn't a good Grey Cup crowd 

But for Regina? Maybe it is

I'd be disappointed if Grey Cup here didn't require temp seating 

Lots of chirping about the Sask attendance from Bomber fans who forget that aside from the first one in 1991, we have not sold out a Grey Cup in our home barn. In 1998 we had the lowest crowd in 26 years at just over 34,000 fans with temp seating set for 45,000 - and about 10,000 seats were basically given away to paper the house to get us to 34K. Fans stayed away in droves because of the lousy Bomber team.

Did better in 2006 but just under a sellout. And for the first Cup at IG Field, the second section of temp seats was abandoned when ticket sales again lagged, and we still didn’t fill the seats that were available for sale, even with a $100 across the board discount in October to boost sales. So if Sask deserves to not have another Cup for a long time (as some have said) because the stadium sold out in September but disgruntled fans chose not to attend, then maybe Winnipeg should not host either given our track record. 

48 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Fans stayed away in droves because of the lousy Bomber team.

Exactly, same thing in Sask this year. I was actually surprised how many Rider fans showed, the fanbase is the unhappiest that I've seen since the late 90s. Winning at home in '13 set up some unrealistic expectations for this season IMO. Also, nobody wanted to see Winnipeg 3peat on our turf, the same would be true if the situation was reversed. 

1 hour ago, PrairieCFL said:

I honestly hope the CFL starts to understand that BIG EVENTS, need the proper infrastructure to be successful. I'm 100% serious the only reason I didn't go to that game was because of the location. I can't spend all that money, and still be in Regina. I'm honestly not trying to be personally attacking the city. But I just couldn't fathom spending at minimum $1000 all said and done, and that's my destination. Never mind the headache of previous GC's held there - lack of hotel space/lack of restaurants etc etc etc. If it was in Van city, I'm there. Litterally anywhere else and I would have gone.

I was hoping there would be a decent amount of empty seats and that the CFL would take notice. The 1st part has happened...will the CFL change how they present that game? Who knows.

Also, it's not IGF West because the Bombers beat the snot out of the Argos there...you knew that right?

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Lots of chirping about the Sask attendance from Bomber fans who forget that aside from the first one in 1991, we have not sold out a Grey Cup in our home barn. In 1998 we had the lowest crowd in 26 years at just over 34,000 fans with temp seating set for 45,000 - and about 10,000 seats were basically given away to paper the house to get us to 34K. Fans stayed away in droves because of the lousy Bomber team.

Did better in 2006 but just under a sellout. And for the first Cup at IG Field, the second section of temp seats was abandoned when ticket sales again lagged, and we still didn’t fill the seats that were available for sale, even with a $100 across the board discount in October to boost sales. So if Sask deserves to not have another Cup for a long time (as some have said) because the stadium sold out in September but disgruntled fans chose not to attend, then maybe Winnipeg should not host either given our track record. 

And your point is what exactly. End of the day Winnipegers attended., That's the bottom line. We didn't sulk and stay home.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I honestly hope the CFL starts to understand that BIG EVENTS, need the proper infrastructure to be successful. I'm 100% serious the only reason I didn't go to that game was because of the location. I can't spend all that money, and still be in Regina. I'm honestly not trying to be personally attacking the city. But I just couldn't fathom spending at minimum $1000 all said and done, and that's my destination. Never mind the headache of previous GC's held there - lack of hotel space/lack of restaurants etc etc etc. If it was in Van city, I'm there. Litterally anywhere else and I would have gone.

I was hoping there would be a decent amount of empty seats and that the CFL would take notice. The 1st part has happened...will the CFL change how they present that game? Who knows.

Also, it's not IGF West because the Bombers beat the snot out of the Argos there...you knew that right?

There would have easily been another 5k in Bomber fans if they had hotels and infrastructure to accommodate. Just bush league putting this event in a tiny city like Regina.

2 hours ago, PrairieCFL said:

Keep acting like the broken clock you are Migs. It's laughable.

1 hour ago, Dr Zaius said:

It was the worst crowd the Grey Cup has seen in years

By far. An embarrassment.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I've been saying that for the next...decade....maybe that's a bit too long I don't know. The Game should be held in TO and or BC. The CFL really needs to re-establish this as a MUST attend event for the entire country. And like I've said before, spending at minimum $1000 to go to regina (or WPG/HAM) is a HARD ask...especially in late November....especially for those casual fans.

1 hour ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

We lost to the Argos- not the riders. 

It will be IG field West until we get beat regularly by the riders.  The Bomber curse continues. 

:)

Hell, if they could even beat us once there, but that ain't happening any time soon even though they are somehow predicting the Bombers demise because we lost a game. lmao. We are the winningest franchise in the CFL for the past 5 years...but one stinker in a Grey Cup is going to undo it all and all our good players are going to exodus now according to their warped logic. Planning the parade over at Riderfans...lmao.

1 minute ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

Had transportation, easily gotten tickets, the only thing holding me back was... where the **** do I sleep? 

I see people in sask lamenting why Bombers fans didn't fill up the place... they really don't understand that their podunk little city doesn't have the required accommodations for such a large event.