Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

4 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Non Players Cap is likely going away this coming offseason, thanks to Ambrosie's leadership.... Have been signs that they're working on it.

Where did you hear that? Farhan Lalji & Dave Naylor were talking about that cap about 6 weeks ago right after Rick Lelacheur was hired to replace Victor Cui. Naylor told Lalji the cap won't be going away any time soon. This is an Ambrosie initiative along with Craig Reynolds of the Riders. they aggressively pushed for this cap to go through so they won't get rid of it that easily. According to Naylor, Lelacheur wants the punitive financial measures of firing a coach or GM to stop counting against the cap to give teams wiggle room to get rid of management & coaches not performing. The actual cap would stay at the level it's at now. 

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Where did you hear that? Farhan Lalji & Dave Naylor were talking about that cap about 6 weeks ago right after Rick Lelacheur was hired to replace Victor Cui. Naylor told Lalji the cap won't be going away any time soon. This is an Ambrosie initiative along with Craig Reynolds of the Riders. they aggressively pushed for this cap to go through so they won't get rid of it that easily. According to Naylor, Lelacheur wants the punitive financial measures of firing a coach or GM to stop counting against the cap to give teams wiggle room to get rid of management & coaches not performing. The actual cap would stay at the level it's at now. 

That was what I had read as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2023-12-05 at 9:30 AM, wbbfan said:

Good for him gonna be a nice pay day. And bring him closer to pension. I’m sure he will have atleast partial pension next year. 

In order for a player to qualify for pension they must have 3 "vested" seasons. In order for a season to be vested they must be on the roster, inactive, or PUP for a minimum 3 games during that season. So no pension qualifying for Rourke next year. However, he will attain his first vested season this year which is really good for him.

Edited by GCn20

On 12/7/2023 at 12:44 PM, GCn20 said:

In order for a player to qualify for pension they must have 3 "vested" seasons. In order for a season to be vested they must be on the roster, inactive, or PUP for a minimum 3 games during that season. So no pension qualifying for Rourke next year. However, he will attain his first vested season this year which is really good for him.

Brings him closer. The hard thing is getting the games played for fringe guys. 
 I wonder how much he will make if he finishes on the active roster. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Brings him closer. The hard thing is getting the games played for fringe guys. 
 I wonder how much he will make if he finishes on the active roster. 

For sure. Once a player gets a game or two from qualifying it becomes really tough for them to get rostered. It's where a lot of guys get cut and out of the league.

On 12/11/2023 at 5:55 PM, GCn20 said:

For sure. Once a player gets a game or two from qualifying it becomes really tough for them to get rostered. It's where a lot of guys get cut and out of the league.

I feel like getting it as a qb is really hit or miss. Either you’ll have a team love you and fall into it, or struggle to get any active roster time at all and bounce prs a lot. 

After being waived again by Jacksonville today, Rourke must be thinking that BIG contract Doman of the leo's offered him is looking ....better and better all the time...I got a feeling he'll be back in the CFL eventually.....just a hunch...I could care less as a Bomber fan ...I'm always for players making the most of their career but I also like the fact we can keep a solid corps of talent in OUR league

Edited by Stickem

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

After being waived again by Jacksonville today, Rourke must be thinking that BIG contract Doman of the leo's offered him is looking ....better and better all the time...I got a feeling he'll be back in the CFL eventually.....just a hunch...I could care less as a Bomber fan ...I'm always for players making the most of their career but I also like the fact we can keep a solid corps of talent in OUR league

I look at the bums that Minnesota has been playing since Cousins got injured and I just can't figure out why they wouldn't give Rourke a try.  It's just maddening.

2 hours ago, Stickem said:

I'd bet he isn't even thinking about the cfl right now.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I look at the bums that Minnesota has been playing since Cousins got injured and I just can't figure out why they wouldn't give Rourke a try.  It's just maddening.

Same goes with the NY Jets when they trotted out Boyle who was terrible in college and terrible in the big leagues yet given a shot over Strev who at least showed something a few during his pre seasons.    

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

Sounds like he is doing OK money-wise. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Considering he called the cfl an unfortunate detour he will exhaust every NFL avenue before slinking back to the CFL.

Less Rourke talk, more Forde talk..... Tell me about the Canadian born, raised, trained, CIS-graduated QBs that wanna be here...

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If Rourke hadn't taken that unforeseen detour then he'd be nowhere today. He never showed any respect to the CFL. A league that got him to Jax & the NFL. 

Exactly...if not for his unfortunate cfl gig...he'd be not playing anywhere...screw him...he showed nothing anyway when he faced real defences in Canada anyway...