Former Bombers in NFL (and spring leagues) news

On 2023-09-16 at 8:20 AM, wbbfan said:

Moving hardrick from guard to tackle and bringing in bond really solidified the ol. We ended up going through a lot of guys between the one guard spot and centre but the rest of the core has had an unprecedented run. 

My half serious comment was directed at Pepper Brook's comment which was removed. It was not directed at anythuing GCn20 said which is why these merged comments suck. Sorry GCn20 nothing you said, I disagreed with. 

8 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

My half serious comment was directed at Pepper Brook's comment which was removed. It was not directed at anythuing GCn20 said which is why these merged comments suck. Sorry GCn20 nothing you said, I disagreed with. 

All good. I know how these merged threads work and that you were not responding to me but to PB.

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I wonder what they would do with Houston, where both leagues have a team. 
 Hub cities crippled attendance and engagement for a bunch of usfl teams. While the xfl was carried by St. Louis. 

I wonder how they would do rosters too  iirc the usfl teams sign their own players where as the xfl signs then disperses them in a draft  

I feel like they’d have a chance with a few off the market. Too many in Texas for the xfl. 
If they fielded two Texas teams (Houston and San Antonio) with st louis, Washington, Birmingham, Memphis, Michigan, nj, no, and 1 of Philly, Pitt, vegas, and Seattle they’d have a good spread of 10 teams. 

Until they fix their pay scale especially for QBs I don’t see them having any larger of an impact on the cfl. 

Thjey obviously feel that merging will increase revenues. Good luck with that. The XFL was losing millions. However, the XFL goes nearly 2 months earlier. That will have to change. It also means that the USFL franchises will now have to be sold individually & organizations set up in each city to sell tickets & market the teams. The USFL was run on the cheap with hub cities not having to spend millions on operations. That'll have to change. There'll be some sticker shock for sure. How do they sell off each franchise privately now is the question? That was always the USFL plan. To only sell off franchises if there was a buyer. Otherwise they'd say as a hub league. I prefer the USFL. I think they have better players & starting later will let them into US cities that have an actual winter as they start 6-8 weeks later. That may have been the stumbling block to an XFL-CFL merger. The start date. It would have been insane to play football in outdoor stadiums in Canada in February & March. The XFL may have been intransigent in moving back their start date to April. 

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Thjey obviously feel that merging will increase revenues. Good luck with that. The XFL was losing millions. However, the XFL goes nearly 2 months earlier. That will have to change. It also means that the USFL franchises will now have to be sold individually & organizations set up in each city to sell tickets & market the teams. The USFL was run on the cheap with hub cities not having to spend millions on operations. That'll have to change. There'll be some sticker shock for sure. How do they sell off each franchise privately now is the question? That was always the USFL plan. To only sell off franchises if there was a buyer. Otherwise they'd say as a hub league. I prefer the USFL. I think they have better players & starting later will let them into US cities that have an actual winter as they start 6-8 weeks later. That may have been the stumbling block to an XFL-CFL merger. The start date. It would have been insane to play football in outdoor stadiums in Canada in February & March. The XFL may have been intransigent in moving back their start date to April. 

I think the easiest way for them would be to have a nation league / American League division split. Xfl division and usfl. Then you have an inter league week and a shared championship after each divisional championship. I would’ve done the same if we did do a cfl merger, keep the differences and split them to play two weeks together. 

In the end I suspect the usfl can’t afford to keep running as is. And the Xfl has tons of cash, so if they merge the xfl might buy some or all of the teams. 
 Though people who work in money management seldom have a high tolerance for losing their own money with no recourse. 

10 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I think the easiest way for them would be to have a nation league / American League division split. Xfl division and usfl. Then you have an inter league week and a shared championship after each divisional championship. I would’ve done the same if we did do a cfl merger, keep the differences and split them to play two weeks together. 

In the end I suspect the usfl can’t afford to keep running as is. And the Xfl has tons of cash, so if they merge the xfl might buy some or all of the teams. 
 Though people who work in money management seldom have a high tolerance for losing their own money with no recourse. 

How do you figure that the XFL has tons of cash?

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Garcia is worth 40m the rock is worth 800m and firebird is worth 7 billion. That’s the ownership group. 

Sure, but the personal wealth if the individuals has nothing to do with the value of the XFL. 

Unless they're going to endlessly dump money into the product, the value of the league is represented by the revenue it brings in.

yeah....and of that a lot isn't likely liquid, and if anything each person is probably only allotting a tiny fraction of their wealth....and no deep pocket investor got that way throwing money away....within 1..2 yrs this will just be another skid mark in the under pants of failed US football ventures

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Sure, but the personal wealth if the individuals has nothing to do with the value of the XFL. 

Unless they're going to endlessly dump money into the product, the value of the league is represented by the revenue it brings in.

It’s not about the value of the Xfl. The xfl had zero value and they paid 15mil for it. The impending break up before it was bough was for going to be for Pennies compared to that. 

They already are and have. That’s actually in their design with how they sign all the players and own all the teams. 

2 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah....and of that a lot isn't likely liquid, and if anything each person is probably only allotting a tiny fraction of their wealth....and no deep pocket investor got that way throwing money away....within 1..2 yrs this will just be another skid mark in the under pants of failed US football ventures

I do agree that the buck stops some where, but we don’t know where that is and I fully believe they will still be fully willing to spend this year. 

It’s kind of sad to me. I think a couple of the markets are strong and deserve more sport teams. Maybe the nfl will go back to stlouis. I mean they averaged 35k fans in the stands in a league that saw a lot of argos level paid attendance at best. 

3 hours ago, Jesse said:

It's venture capital. They know it will take time before they see payback but they hope that they can last long enough.

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Garcia is worth 40m the rock is worth 800m and firebird is worth 7 billion. That’s the ownership group. 

And if the league is losing money it means ratings tank & lost advertising as well as networks who were televising them to say buh bye. I don't think any of the principles here want to sink their money into a bottomless pit. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

And if the league is losing money it means ratings tank & lost advertising as well as networks who were televising them to say buh bye. I don't think any of the principles here want to sink their money into a bottomless pit. 

The TV networks have to still remember the debacle of the last XFL. It wasn't just the lost money, but watchers could see the almost-empty stands and amateurish play. A total embarrassment to all. The only good that came of it was that a very few players managed to make it to legitimate teams.

Edited by Tracker

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

The TV networks have to still remember the debacle of the last XFL. It wasn't just the lost money, but watchers could see the almost-empty stands and amateurish play. A total embarrassment to all. The only good that came of it was that a very few players managed to make it to legitimate teams.

The sad thing is that when this "new & improved" league does fold there'll be another right behind it ready to go. Thinking their way will be the right way & it will be a success. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Past history for $200, Alex. 

Maybe. But, there's a demand for it. Just need to build consistency.

There's definitely only room for one, but they have the goal of becoming the feeder league for the NFL. The NFL could use a development league to build a deeper pool and fill in some gaps in area coverage. 

I don't know how much they're prepared to lose. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

There's definitely only room for one, but they have the goal of becoming the feeder league for the NFL. The NFL could use a development league to build a deeper pool and fill in some gaps in area coverage. 

Problem is that NCAA is too big a deal IMO. Kind of cuts into that 2nd teir league market. Now I think there could be room for a 2nd teir pro league, but it's gotta be a niche thing. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

NCAA is already their feeder league. 

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

NCAA is already their feeder league. 

Yup...NCAA and the CFL.....Thats all the NFL needs and really cares about.....they would probably be more annoyed if the CFL went belly up than these lame U.S spring leagues....The owner group will soon pull pin....they won't bleed money forever, and likely lose a lot of advertising rev's....companies are not gonna pay for tv time ads where nobody is watching....it's always the route these leagues will go...why people keep trying is beyond me

11 hours ago, JCon said:

I don't know how many failed attempts it will take for people with more money than brains to realize that there is no demand for it.  This is the classic example of an answer in search of a question.  High school and college ball take up all the "non NFL" oxygen so there's nothing left for what is seen as some sort of gimmicky semi-pro ball.  But there's always going to be someone who thinks he's got it all figured out... 

Edited by WBBFanWest