2022 CFL Season - Non Back 2 Back Champs News

Noeller

7 minutes ago, bearpants said:

In their defense... at least they did something about it for once... instead of just sweeping it under the rug, like they normally do...

likely cause they are somewhat under a microscope and being untra scrutinized....and rightfully so....so prob didn't want it "leaking" out

curious as to how many pending free-agents they have there will not want to re-up for 2023, or how many other teams free-agents will not even consider going there....why would you want to if you were an actual professional, and character guy?

just watching the antics there in game, and surrounding the team is almost become a total joke and farce now....an embarrassment to the poor loyal fans who were there before this new breed of jagoffs who jumped on the train during their only recent and real success a decade or so back

On 2022-08-19 at 7:30 AM, Noeller said:

As ridiculous as this sounds, I think the reason Williams got fined and not Davis, is because he at the fan's nachos....... it wasn't the act of jumping into the crowd that was the offense. 

Some dude from Ottawa, Gott I think, grabbed a beer from the crowd and chugged it, then smashed the can on his forehead iirc....no fine for that.

3 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I mean...that was what 4 years ago now? And I believe that act was the reason for the rule that got Duke fined.

he's an arse anyway....should be fined for just stepping on the field if you ask me ...Grade A loser...cancer...and a right bargain at 275k HAHAHAHA

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Is there any discipline on that green team.....Most penalized in the league and player attitude of 'i'll just do what I want'....on and off the field.....Dickie boy has a very big problem and I'm sure by now the refs have/are taking numbers on that club

This all started in 2013. The RIders sold their soul for a Grey Cup by bringing in locker room cancers, since then they have remained consistent at overlooking deep character flaws in the players they sign. I get that recruitment is ultra tough for them...convincing any IMP player to go their backwater town is a challenge...but they need to re-establish culture and it is not something they seem to be particularly interested in doing.

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I mean...that was what 4 years ago now? And I believe that act was the reason for the rule that got Duke fined.

Could be. Just saying, the rule is dumb. I thought that was probably the highlight of the month. Good stuff.

38 minutes ago, Booch said:

curious as to how many pending free-agents they have there will not want to re-up for 2023, or how many other teams free-agents will not even consider going there....why would you want to if you were an actual professional, and character guy?

just watching the antics there in game, and surrounding the team is almost become a total joke and farce now....an embarrassment to the poor loyal fans who were there before this new breed of jagoffs who jumped on the train during their only recent and real success a decade or so back

Every FA they re-sign is to top dollar. They will re-sign guys...but they will have to pay above market rate. 

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Some dude from Ottawa, Gott I think, grabbed a beer from the crowd and chugged it, then smashed the can on his forehead iirc....no fine for that.

That was awesome.  That is one of the reasons why I love the CFL- I wish they wouldn't mess with that aspect of the entertainment.

He didn't get a fine for the beer, because IIRC, they implemented or adjusted the player/fan safety after the Argos players and fans altercation last year.

22 minutes ago, Wanna-B-Fanboy said:

they implemented or adjusted the player/fan safety after the Argos players and fans altercation last year.

Id agree. The Players Association instilled an acknowledgement by the League that the employer has a responsibility to ensure separation of players and fans. Williams stepped off the field to the fan area of the venue. Likewise, signage now predominantly posted at entrances advises fans of verboten conduct while within the facility. 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

In their defense... at least they did something about it for once... instead of just sweeping it under the rug, like they normally do...

I suspect this was the result of an indictable offence and would have leaked out anyways, so they decided to get ahead of it. 

22 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Id agree. The Players Association instilled an acknowledgement by the League that the employer has a responsibility to ensure separation of players and fans. Williams stepped off the field to the fan area of the venue. Likewise, signage now predominantly posted at entrances advises fans of verboten conduct while within the facility. 

I get it, but the close relationship between fans and players has been a unique and cool feature of the CFL.

It's always been fun and created some of the best moments. It's a shame to be trending towards the distance and coldness of the NFL.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

I get it, but the close relationship between fans and players has been a unique and cool feature of the CFL.

It's always been fun and created some of the best moments. It's a shame to be trending towards the distance and coldness of the NFL.

I totally agree. As long as it isn't a brawl in the stands (I'm talking to you Toronto) I think it is something that should be encouraged. I get that after the **** show last year where the Argos lost their **** that the league is gun shy about that now, but if Duke found a few Rider fans and a plate of nachos that is not fine worthy imo.

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

I feel like this season has to be the final nail in dickers coffin. 

if it isn't...then Reynolds needs to tie can to O'day....Really the day the season ends they both should have can tied to them and get a jump of rebuilding and rebranding there....what a pile o dung...from top to bottom

58 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I totally agree. As long as it isn't a brawl in the stands (I'm talking to you Toronto) I think it is something that should be encouraged. I get that after the **** show last year where the Argos lost their **** that the league is gun shy about that now, but if Duke found a few Rider fans and a plate of nachos that is not fine worthy imo.

I'd be more impressed if he could find a few Rider fans with full sets of teeth.

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

Well, if they didn't suspend Marino after what he did to Jeremiah Massoli, imagine what hemight have done getting a 1 game suspension? Has there been a serial killing in Regina? Kidnapping? Carjacking?

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

It's not because of what Gott did. It's a Covid restriction from what I understand. 

4 hours ago, bearpants said:

I think it's more a fact they threw a borderline player under the bus. they won't do anything to most players, in fact protect them- looking at you Duke and Marino - but a guy that has played a couple of games on specials gets suspended. Then they can say, " Ooh look we actually did something about our shitty culture"

If they cared at all, they would have come right away and given some information on what actually happened instead of all this silence and speculation. When Lawler got nailed, the Bombers came out right away with what happened in a direct manner.

34 minutes ago, Booch said:

so dumb that coaching staff....I think they more worried about hurting feelings than winning

I think they're more concerned about paying a guy 400K to sit on the bench. While also forcing Cody to put up or shut up. This BC team is ripe for the picking. They aren't (or shouldn't) going to put up the big O numbers. 25 points might win it.

Edited by Bigblue204

4 hours ago, Booch said:

Roy Shivers & Danny Barrett started the culture we see today over 20 years ago. Shivers always was a loudmouth as a GM. He created this "Us Against Them" mentality with the Rider fans. Barrett as a HC as well. Shivers used to make a big deal about his  skin colour. Shivers proudly used to announce that he only scouted black players. You'd think the **** show Shivers created would have gone away once he left but it didn't & it's still going strong today with that fanbase & team. Guys like Thug Garrett Marino, AC Leonard, Nick Marshall & Pete Robertson screaming with elation on the sidelines as Nathan Rourke lay injured on the Mosaic Stadium turf. It was a clean hit but there he was screaming nonetheless. Never seen a team act as badly as the Riders do. I know a few Rider fans who are getting tired of the circus act. 

38 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Pete Robertson screaming with elation on the sidelines as Nathan Rourke lay injured on the Mosaic Stadium turf. It was a clean hit but there he was screaming nonetheless. Never seen a team act as badly as the Riders do.

If it’s true, it then becomes ironic that Fadarjo complains about his braced knee being targeted. Was there elation and screaming cause he injured a guy or because he sacked the qb? 

Edited by Rod Black

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Seems like you meant to say something else. I’ll read it as - “fan interaction should be encouraged”, and not brawling. 
Certainly brawling is out of line, maybe even criminal. Don’t kid yourself, up close contact, interaction between players and fans during a game, even with no brawl is very dangerous and holds potential for harm. The league and the P.A. presumably understand the risks. 
If the League and the P.A. agree to a rule, should it not be enforced?  Haven’t heard of the P.A. filing a grievance on Williams behalf. Seems parties with skin in the game understand, but fans are having a tough time with that.

Edited by Rod Black