2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Harris got 165k, 40k of it upfront.

Not an astronomical amount but I can’t see a way we could’ve made that fit, to be honest.

What we couldn' t make fit was the fact he says about being disrespected....I don't know the tone of how the conversation went between Harris and management....he obviously felt slighted.....Water under the bridge now and we continue on....I hope it hasn't caused a rift with the club that can't be fixed...That looks poorly on everyone 

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

What we couldn' t make fit was the fact he says about being disrespected....I don't know the tone of how the conversation went between Harris and management....he obviously felt slighted.....Water under the bridge now and we continue on....I hope it hasn't caused a rift with the club that can't be fixed...That looks poorly on everyone 

I mean, let’s just call it what it is. Harris didn’t just develop this chip on his shoulder when he became a Bomber, he’s been like that his entire career and for the most part, it’s served to work for him and not against him.

In this case, it may have worked against him. There’s nothing wrong with expressing some doubt in a 35 year old who plays a position 35 year olds don’t play, especially when you’ve seen a history of ongoing issues related to your concerns. He wasn’t coming to camp in shape, the team was a bit put off because they expected more and they asked to try and meet in a middle ground. “If you’re telling us your commitment to staying in shape isn’t going to be an issue, show us” isn’t an unreasonable request. Quite honestly, this isn’t meant to shine negatively upon anyone but we all know if this was anyone BUT Harris, we’d all be in the corner of Walters and O’Shea.

Wade is in the business of promoting the team. Walters and O’Shea are not. Hometown kid or not, they’re in the business of winning football games and while I may or may not agree with their choice, I understand the thought process that went into it.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I cheer for the logo not the player. If you aren't wearing our logo then you are the enemy. Legacy can wait till after careers are over and they are not playing for the opposition and come back and sign their one day contracts to retire in our uniform. Until then Adams, Harris, Lawler et al are opponents now and we need to smash them in the mouth.

I think some players are an exception... Now I fully hope and expect to beat the Argos when we play them next year... but I can't ever see myself cheering against Harris or considering him "the enemy"... I'm placing my flag down now... if the Bombers are not in 2022 Grey Cup game and the Argos are... I know who I will be cheering for in that game.

4 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I think some players are an exception... Now I fully hope and expect to beat the Argos when we play them next year... but I can't ever see myself cheering against Harris or considering him "the enemy"... I'm placing my flag down now... if the Bombers are not in 2022 Grey Cup game and the Argos are... I know who I will be cheering for in that game.

ac4.png

I hated Harris when he played for the lions. Do ppl remember he played for the lions and not us? Wasn't most his career in BC? Junior and CFL? 

He had his best years here tho. But you have to make the tough decisions.  Toronto? Do they even run the ball? 

Seems more about money here than anything else here 

Farhan likes to ruffle feathers and seems to have a dislike for Winnipeg 

If Andrew Harris was from Vancouver or Pittsburgh nobody would care. It's the Winnipeg factor making ppl emotional. 

If ppl need a running back from Winnipeg to cheer for the team.. Brady says hi. 

Edited by Goalie

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I hated Harris when he played for the lions. Do ppl remember he played for the lions and not us? Wasn't most his career in BC? Junior and CFL? 

He had his best years here tho. But you have to make the tough decisions.  Toronto? Do they even run the ball? 

Seems more about money here than anything else here 

Farhan likes to ruffle feathers and seems to have a dislike for Winnipeg 

If Andrew Harris was from Vancouver or Pittsburgh nobody would care. It's the Winnipeg factor making ppl emotional. 

If ppl need a running back from Winnipeg to cheer for the team.. Brady says hi. 

They didn’t run the ball that much. White was also a pretty capable running back But not a bad pay day by Harris. 165 hard cash is a deal for himself. 

yeah...basically was looking out for hiself and a last big payday....cant blame him I guess...but if the diff was like 20k  give or take.....kind of a move not inline with others in the locker room

The fact too...he wouldnt do a work out...is telling.....It aint about pride...being disrespected...its business....

1 minute ago, Booch said:

yeah...basically was looking out for hiself and a last big payday....cant blame him I guess...but if the diff was like 20k  give or take.....kind of a move not inline with others in the locker room

The fact too...he wouldnt do a work out...is telling.....It aint about pride...being disrespected...its business....

That doesn't seem to be in line with the reporting I've heard.  I don't think it was about money.  He rubbed O'Shea the wrong way last season and O'Shea wanted the team to move on.  Had more to due with the shape he came to camp in and perhaps his reaction to being told he wasn't gonna play during portions of the season. 

41 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

That doesn't seem to be in line with the reporting I've heard.  I don't think it was about money.  He rubbed O'Shea the wrong way last season and O'Shea wanted the team to move on.  Had more to due with the shape he came to camp in and perhaps his reaction to being told he wasn't gonna play during portions of the season. 

I don't agree. O'Shea wanted Harris back. I never got the sense O'Shea was not happy with him. This is a business. Decisions need to be made. If Harris wanted to be back then he would've made it happen. He wanted a bigger payday. In the end, that's what it came down to. Money. 

12 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm hopeful it's because they are saving that cash for Strevy.  

If Walters is, that is the dumbest move he could make. We have more pressing needs right now than chasing a backup qb who has been gone for 3 years.

57 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Guys it was a joke.  Obviously Kyle is not going to sit on cash that could be going to actual free agents while sitting in his office every night staring lovingly at a picture of a shirtless Strevy holding the cup over his head.  Come on man!

He is absolutely sitting on some cash.

He has to account for injuries, signing replacement players, potential returnees. The salary cap isn’t allocated until all is said and done at the end of the season, so it’s not really as simple as he doesn’t have money, things can always be manipulated.

And if you think Walters doesn’t have that photo of Strev in his office, I don’t know what to tell you.

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Guys it was a joke.  Obviously Kyle is not going to sit on cash that could be going to actual free agents while sitting in his office every night staring lovingly at a picture of a shirtless Strevy holding the cup over his head.  Come on man!

Yeah he's certainly not specifically holding funds for Strevy.  But he always seems to have an emergency fund (must watch Dave Ramsey). He will say he's done doesn't have more to spend and then he changes his tune when a significant player becomes available. 

12 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Yeah he's certainly not specifically holding funds for Strevy.  But he always seems to have an emergency fund (must watch Dave Ramsey). He will say he's done doesn't have more to spend and then he changes his tune when a significant player becomes available. 

When It comes to the cap he's a miser. And I say that as a good thing. He's prepared for every thing. He saves money for cut down pick ups nfl cut down pr expansion our guys coming back from the nfl and rolls excess into trade dead line moves.

He's never financially over extended or in a bad position. The opposite of the Lions argos etc. 

IWWT, but im really curious about what he's doing with our cap space. Weve probably shed damn near 1 million dollars in cap space with all our recent departures. Since then he's brought in exactly 1 free agent(Ellingson), and handed out a handful of raises. I understand we need to keep some aside for BA and a couple of guys like that but he should still have a good chunk left to play with. Not happy to see guys like Darby leave.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

3 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

IWWT, but im really curious about what he's doing with our cap space. Weve probably shed damn near 1 million dollars in cap space with all our recent departures. Since then he's brought in exactly 1 free agent(Ellingson), and handed out a handful of raises. I understand we need to keep some aside for BA and a couple of guys like that but he should still have a good chunk left to play with. Not happy to see guys like Darby leave.

Maston is more than an adequate replacement and  he was a big reason for the defense turn around for 2019 grey cup...also brings more physicality, and was prob cheaper to bring back coming off injury...just business

1 minute ago, Booch said:

Maston is more than an adequate replacement and  he was a big reason for the defense turn around for 2019 grey cup...also brings more physicality, and was prob cheaper to bring back coming off injury...just business

I'd say he's a pretty big question mark coming off a torn achilles and not having played a live game in 2+ years.

10 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

I'd say he's a pretty big question mark coming off a torn achilles and not having played a live game in 2+ years.

nah....was practicing already, and I have seen him working out.....There a reason he was re-signed prior to FA...and we didnt outbid for Darby...tho I wish we would have with BA on shelf part of yr and his salary not on the books for that part

On 2022-02-09 at 8:01 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Sure I guess. The joke is that streveler would sign for that salary. No chance he's signing on for 125 k base. Walter's definitely has a reserve fund, it just may not be the man, the myth, the legend