2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

If Ottawa is scaring people...yikes...have some faith people we are the back2back champs. 

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

100%. They are probably going to have 4 new starting OL, a new qb, 3 wrs half the DL and secondary. Early is the time to play them.

And yes, its still a plop lead masoli team. we know how to beat that and excel at it. 

PLOP will have them ready to play. In his less than illustrious career as a head coach his teams have usually looked well prepared in game 1.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

If Ottawa is scaring people...yikes...have some faith people we are the back2back champs. 

PLOP will have them ready to play. In his less than illustrious career as a head coach his teams have usually looked well prepared in game 1.

Ready to play as players is one thing. Ready to perform as a cohesive unit is a whole other thing. That OL especially is gonna struggle early. 

1 minute ago, bryan35 said:

All sounds like positives from an Ottawa perspective.

It sounds positive in the light of their production last year, but that was plops team. His playbook and his players. And Masoli is a poor mans kevin glenn. He's never been able to maintain his job on a contender. They will be better than last year, no question. They couldn't have added much more in free agency either.

They are gonna go from a terrible team that lost by a lot every week, to a fringe team that loses by a little almost every week. Mid to late next year is the soonest they will turn the page and be a solid team imo. They went from being a team that was a year away from being a year away, to a team thats a year away from being good. 

I look at their roster and I see 0 NIs that would start on our team. A couple would be rotational pieces like boateng, but none would be close to starting here. 

I see a starting DL that combined for about 11 sacks last year. I still see an OL with less games than bryant + any other bomber ol, and that combine for less starts than 3 of our ol individually.  And I still see a check down offense with out an elite rb to carry it. 

They won't win games on the line of scrimmage, they wont create enough pressure to win games on D, they wont stretch the field to make up with fast scoring, and they wont dominate with the run game. 

After one of the worst all time seasons, any thing different sounds like its a positive. 

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

It sounds positive in the light of their production last year, but that was plops team. His playbook and his players. And Masoli is a poor mans kevin glenn. He's never been able to maintain his job on a contender. They will be better than last year, no question. They couldn't have added much more in free agency either.

They are gonna go from a terrible team that lost by a lot every week, to a fringe team that loses by a little almost every week. Mid to late next year is the soonest they will turn the page and be a solid team imo. They went from being a team that was a year away from being a year away, to a team thats a year away from being good. 

I look at their roster and I see 0 NIs that would start on our team. A couple would be rotational pieces like boateng, but none would be close to starting here. 

I see a starting DL that combined for about 11 sacks last year. I still see an OL with less games than bryant + any other bomber ol, and that combine for less starts than 3 of our ol individually.  And I still see a check down offense with out an elite rb to carry it. 

They won't win games on the line of scrimmage, they wont create enough pressure to win games on D, they wont stretch the field to make up with fast scoring, and they wont dominate with the run game. 

After one of the worst all time seasons, any thing different sounds like its a positive. 

This is the best example of "damning with faint praise" I've ever seen.

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

At least they were smart enough to build out the lines... and not invest all their money in receivers.

Thats true, and they got the best OL on the market once FA started. I think they've done the best job of any team in FA. But its gonna take a lot to dig out of that hole. 

Just as important as the FA grade will be the draft. If they can hit a guy who has an impact right away. The bombers success has been built on drafting, and developing. It's been off set with some tremendous off season pick ups, but the core of the team is guys who came into the league with the bombers. 

Any one else find it interesting that TO opened up the check book for harris, but ott, despite plops success with harris for soo long didnt?

43 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Thats true, and they got the best OL on the market once FA started. I think they've done the best job of any team in FA. But its gonna take a lot to dig out of that hole. 

Just as important as the FA grade will be the draft. If they can hit a guy who has an impact right away. The bombers success has been built on drafting, and developing. It's been off set with some tremendous off season pick ups, but the core of the team is guys who came into the league with the bombers. 

Any one else find it interesting that TO opened up the check book for harris, but ott, despite plops success with harris for soo long didnt?

I found it odd for sure. Not odd that Toronto signed him, but odd that Lapo didn't. Toronto is like a kid in the candy store just buying anything that's available and hoping it tastes good. Then there is Jonesie shopping the stale dated candy in the clearance aisle hoping it doesn't taste too terribly bad. Honestly, if a team is going out and signing 20 players in FA, I think Ottawa probably did the best job.

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I found it odd for sure. Not odd that Toronto signed him, but odd that Lapo didn't. Toronto is like a kid in the candy store just buying anything that's available and hoping it tastes good. Then there is Jonesie shopping the stale dated candy in the clearance aisle hoping it doesn't taste too terribly bad. Honestly, if a team is going out and signing 20 players in FA, I think Ottawa probably did the best job.

From one of the articles I read, it sounded like Harris reached out to Pete Costanza and that's what got talks with Toronto going.  Since he was acting as his own agent, maybe Harris hadn't reached out to every team?  

Harris said he was 'talking' with the Elks....(apparently Jonesy is willing to talk to anyone that will listen) but nothing went very far.....Sask. was NEVER in talks with him but apparently he had a call from the leo's....Costanza was the catylyst in T.O. that led him to the Big Smoke...It is really odd that Lapo didn't contact Andrew ...He knows as much as we do about his talent....Maybe that knowledge was enough to say ....'I'm not going there, too risky' with regard to Harris....Tough to say and all conjecture but there has to be a reason Lapolice didn't seem to be interested in his services??

Just now, GCn20 said:

Yeah just strikes me as odd that ott went with powell and not harris. Tor is just desperate. I do like the jagared davis pick up but not much else. 

My way too early draft grades would be,

OTT A+. They did as best as they could. 

Wpg A. Resigned the key FAs, enough to be favorites again.

Stamps B+. Really like the judge pick up, Had some loses but were a young team moving forward.

Mtl B. Really limited their loses, locked up young guys, and only team to go out and get cheap vet qb depth. Other wise secondary and mennard hits are hard.

BC C-. Not crazy about their qbing, but finally filled some dl gaps and kept lucky. got a little spend crazy in the secondary.

Ham C-. They seemed as flat in the FA period as they did in the 19 grey cup. Seems like they just lost guys and didnt add. 

Ssk C-. Addition by subtraction with a couple loses. Duke was a big over pay but they had to, moncrief was a good get. Maybe they should be higher.

Tor D+, Swung for the fences a lot, but only got 1 gooder in davis. They have 2 really good imp rbs and couldnt manage to run well or consistently and they dont have the NI back up to start him.  Banks is toast. 

Edm wtF- Sigh, return of duron carter and jones as a hc/gm. Wouldve won free agency in 2012. 

9 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Harris said he was 'talking' with the Elks....(apparently Jonesy is willing to talk to anyone that will listen) but nothing went very far.....Sask. was NEVER in talks with him but apparently he had a call from the leo's....Costanza was the catylyst in T.O. that led him to the Big Smoke...It is really odd that Lapo didn't contact Andrew ...He knows as much as we do about his talent....Maybe that knowledge was enough to say ....'I'm not going there, too risky' with regard to Harris....Tough to say and all conjecture but there has to be a reason Lapolice didn't seem to be interested in his services??

By that point they had committed to Powell

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Edm wtF- Sigh, return of duron carter and jones as a hc/gm. Wouldve won free agency in 2012. 

What... no kudos for overpaying Kenny.....lol......It's going to be a laugher in Edm., under Jones and his remarkable old time moves...Lawler better live up to his billing or he might find himself on D and Duron in his spot

Edited by Stickem

Just now, Stickem said:

What... no kudos for overpaying Kenny.....lol......It's going to be a laugher in Edm., under Jones and his remarkable old time moves...Lawler better live up to his billing or he might find himself on D and Duron in his spot

Jones gonna make his stars all play both ways. 

I'll never understand how BC and EDM could go to 300k on lawler (who I think very highly of) but not ucambre williams. Bad teams making bad decisions giving out bad contracts. 

13 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Jones gonna make his stars all play both ways. 

I'll never understand how BC and EDM could go to 300k on lawler (who I think very highly of) but not ucambre williams. Bad teams making bad decisions giving out bad contracts. 

Bad management going to do what bad management does best! You would think the bomber blue print of owning the lines of scrimmage on both sides would be these teams focus but nope. That’s ok better for Winnipeg. 

Just now, Arnold_Palmer said:

Bad management going to do what bad management does best! You would think the bomber blue print of owning the lines of scrimmage on both sides would be these teams focus but nope. That’s ok better for Winnipeg. 

Right? Teams have all been taking to the plop style offense, running more, the bend but dont break D, you name it. But nope no one wants to go out and over pay to build a great OL. Its crazy.