2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

I keep seeing the argument both in here and online that says "I thought the league had no money" or something along those lines in reference to high ticket salaries. People know that the salary cap doesn't change if you spend a good chunk of it on 1 player right? Like Edmonton doesn't get more salary cap room because of Lawlers contract....we all know that right? His contract does not reflect the financial situation of the CFL in general...again we all know that right?

Also the revised history in the thread is cute. Lawler was far and away the best receiver in the league last year, while playing 1 less game. He's a big loss that will not be easily replaced. We can pretend that we have his replacement already here but history shows that likely isn't the case, ditto with Elingson coming on and being more productive. 

Lawler is awesome and I’m very sad to see him go, but we also shouldn’t be competing with those kinds of offers. He’ll probably have a great year and I hope he does. We can’t replace him, but maybe we luck out and find a solid receiver in camp and sign an Ellingson type to bridge the gap a bit.

Lawler is a huge loss but not unexpected. Zach is probably sitting at home wiping tears from his eyes thinking about going into the season without Lawler and Harris. He had a connection with Lawler from the get-go. He had the trust/confidence in him where he could just huck it up and he knew Lawler would come down with it the majority of the time. Thats not going to be replaced. Bailey and Woli are nice receivers but not Lawler type guys. He is going to be sorely missed. Ellingson would help ease the pain, but our offense is going to take a big step back this season i fear.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Lawler is awesome and I’m very sad to see him go, but we also shouldn’t be competing with those kinds of offers. He’ll probably have a great year and I hope he does. We can’t replace him, but maybe we luck out and find a solid receiver in camp and sign an Ellingson type to bridge the gap a bit.

I am curious to know what they consider full value for 300k. 

Their OC is not a push the ball down the field guy. They have underwhelming QBs. Stats are likely not going to be there.

I can't see this ending any other way than him re-negotiating/getting cut next year. 

He also apparently got no signing bonus so he has no real security.

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

And by the looks of it- they are now competitive. Mighty fine offseason so far.

Yes the East has no obvious weak little sister at the moment. TOR and MTL are perhaps the weaker ones (their QB's can be gamechangers... in either direction). Could Ottawa actually lead the East in 2022? All up to the HC now.

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Their OC is not a push the ball down the field guy. They have underwhelming QBs. Stats are likely not going to be there.

I can't see this ending any other way than him re-negotiating/getting cut next year. 

Seems like a very non Chris Jones move - overpaying for a player not in the most critical positional value. He always struck me as a guy who finds and develops new talent. As has been said, love Lawler, would not pay $300K for him.

1 minute ago, M.Silverback said:

Seems like a very non Chris Jones move - overpaying for a player not in the most critical positional value. He always struck me as a guy who finds and develops new talent. As has been said, love Lawler, would not pay $300K for him.

I think Chris Jones is a very good DC  a good coach, and a trash GM

17 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

It's only a 1 year deal...

20 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

18 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Darvin Adams heading to Ottawa......At least Masoli will have someone to throw to.....Good luck Adams.. They really wanted Ellingson......We must have out bid them solidly

I haven’t heard anything to suggest they wanted Ellingson. They got Acklin.

27 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Really bad move by Lawler to not secure some of that money. At 300k if he gets off to a slow start he could be toast at that salary and be in a position where he has to take scraps because no one has any money left. Or worse, an injury in camp and he gets nothing.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Really bad move by Lawler to not secure some of that money. At 300k if he gets off to a slow start he could be toast at that salary and be in a position where he has to take scraps because no one has any money left. Or worse, an injury in camp and he gets nothing.

They can’t cut him in camp if he’s hurt. 

5 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Also the revised history in the thread is cute. Lawler was far and away the best receiver in the league last year, while playing 1 less game. He's a big loss that will not be easily replaced.

The point people are making is that they'd rather be replacing Lawler than say Stanley Bryant or Hardrick, or Bighill, or Jefferson or Jeffcoat.... 

Before last season people were skeptical Kenny Lawler was even a #1 receiver. He showed flashes but had never been at that level prior. I have faith in our offense to get it done with the group they're putting together. Lawler is a damned good one, but at that kind of money I bet we can get close enough production out of a guy like Ellingson to make it sting less. We do have the QB who won the MOP last year and the best OL in the league still. 

We have seen it time and time again in the CFL where teams try and make a good offense by blowing it all on receivers, but if you don't have a QB and the OL to give him time it doesn't work. 

Meanwhile no one in 2019 thought highly of the Bomber receivers and they won the grey cup. Same deal last year. It was sure Lawler is having a good year but half the people wanted bailey cut early and no one else was popping off the page. Won the cup anyway. It's because this team is built to be strong in the key places and have depth to withstand injuries and losses. 

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

It's not ideal but fans watched their team win 1 whopping home game in 2021. They are picking up solid players, an effort is at least being made to be competitive

yeah they had to fix the QB situation pronto and they just did that with Masoli.  They should win at least two home games this year now.  

2 hours ago, M.Silverback said:

Does Lawler know that the $300k is because he's going to be playing receiver and DB?