2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

21 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Ellingston+Demski+Woli+Bailey and then hopefully a youngster who emerges might just work.

I'd like to see a back up QB other than Dru Brown.

That would totally work ..Lawler was good...but wasn't reason for our success...it started with ZC spreading it around and the online allowing it to happen....Our offence will just need to play like last yr...protect the ball...and we will be fine

I think we land a reciever....and a surprise defender nobody has yet mentioned here much....along with a few more of our foot soldiers like Hansen and the like

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

That would totally work ..Lawler was good...but wasn't reason for our success...it started with ZC spreading it around and the online allowing it to happen....Our offence will just need to play like last yr...protect the ball...and we will be fine

I think we land a reciever....and a surprise defender nobody has yet mentioned here much....along with a few more of our foot soldiers like Hansen and the like

I feel like Bailey will emerge as the deep threat that Adams/Lawler have been in the past. 

20 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

I feel like Bailey will emerge as the deep threat that Adams/Lawler have been in the past. 

Yeah..he's grown a lot in 2 yrs...so.much more polished now...he was very erratic and almost out of control his first yr here...which hindered him

I think all those big ticket receivers won't live up to the price tag...as they all in questionable offences..

If I was to predict now I'd say top 5 guys this yr will be Begelton..Weineke.. Bailey..Lewis and Ellingson if he ends up here or Ottawa...not in that order...but in the mix...Burnham possibly too as he catches anything within 10 feet of him

Edited by Booch

4 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah..he's grown a lot in 2 yrs...so.much more polished now...he was very erratic and almost out of control his first yr here...which hindered him

I think all those big ticket receivers won't live up to the price tag...as they all in questionable offences..

If I was to predict now I'd say top 5 guys this yr will be Begelton..Weineke.. Bailey..Lewis and Ellingson if he ends up here or Ottawa...not in that order...but I'm the mix...Burnham possibly too as he catches anything within 10 feet of him

Burnham would be a real catch, as would Begelton.

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

If I was to predict now I'd say top 5 guys this yr will be Begelton..Weineke.. Bailey..Lewis and Ellingson if he ends up here or Ottawa...not in that order...but in the mix...Burnham possibly too as he catches anything within 10 feet of him

They have no chance. '

Even if they have good seasons, unless they are far and away the top in the league.....it's a disappointment. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

250k for Lacey?? Good greif

Just said in RF Lacey was not in the top half of starting MLB in the CFL last year. I know he probably more of a Will but I dont see how you pay someone that is pretty much a replacement level player 250,000. Dexter MCcoil is probably regretting his retirement announcement with what jones is tossing around to former defensive players. 

24 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Looks like Patrick Levels is off to Ottawa. I think Ottawa is having a hell of an off season thus far. Yes it’s early still but starting the season off against them back to back may not be the 2 free spaces on the bingo card anymore. 

Continuity vs. Bunch of new guys still learning each other's names.... advantage winnipeg. 

8 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

I was eager to see him go for back to back 1000+ seasons to prove it was no fluke. It won't be as easy, now. How does he live up to 300k?

That's not his problem. It's Jones who opened up the CFL's version of a Brink's armoured truck which is a Volkswagen Jetta trunk to pay Lawler. My point? The League can't go crying to the feds or anyone else saying they have no money & are broke & then do **** like this. I thought the CFL was going to try to fix their business model. Don't you think with a hard cap that there should be a salary grid & the maximum amount that can be paid to each position? Ambrosie said everything would be on the table to discuss from team's business plans to rules & the CFL  has done squat. This is total stupisity. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

Stanback is awesome and a real pain in the ass in every single game to bring down.   How he gets $150 and mediocre talent gets double is baffling. 

Who knows anymore.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

22 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Don't you think with a hard cap that there should be a salary grid & the maximum amount that can be paid to each position?

Nah, if teams want to spend their cap space stupidly let them. It ******* sucks to lose Lawler, but for that money I ain't even mad! You don't tie yourself into that sort of spending at a position as relatively replaceable as receiver. I'd rather two guys in the 150 range than 1 guy eating up 300k. Walters has it right. Lock up the trenches and the qb and the rest is easier to piece together.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Nah, if teams want to spend their cap space stupidly let them. It ******* sucks to lose Lawler, but for that money I ain't even mad! You don't tie yourself into that sort of spending at a position as relatively replaceable as receiver. I'd rather two guys in the 150 range than 1 guy eating up 300k. Walters has it right. Lock up the trenches and the qb and the rest is easier to piece together.

I absolutely agree but there needs to be a guideline of some kind. But that's too logical for the thick heads running this league to understand. 

7 hours ago, Brandon said:

Stanback is awesome and a real pain in the ass in every single game to bring down.   How he gets $150 and mediocre talent gets double is baffling. 

The best back with the ball in his hands in the league. It's befuddling that he hasn't improved his hands. 

He would rush for 2k behind our ol with plop level touches. 

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I absolutely agree but there needs to be a guideline of some kind. But that's too logical for the thick heads running this league to understand. 

For starters, you have a maverick in Chris Jones, who comes with all the shenanigans that is capable on a football field or office. Secondly, the individuals/organization running the Argos, who rehired him last fall and endorsed him for the Edmonton job. Should never had happened, he had his dream job, coaching high school football....

He's bad news for this league. This is a prime example of things to come. Buckle up the chin straps...

3 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Remember a few years ago when Rider fans were insisting that Jones was just "resetting" the market and doing the league a favour... rather than just lowballing players.

I lost all respect for the Riders and the Rider fan base, over that guy, when he left them high and dry... Then it landed up, being how terrible the Bomber organization was,, that Lapo wasn't allowed to coach the Riders.... 

Teams know they not only have to get better but also weaken us, and that costs considerable money because players want to stay here. Not advocating for 300k receiver salaries but realistically how much chance does anyone in this league have if they don't at least dent our roster. Lawler will be a top 10 receiver in this league but McAdoo's offence is not a great fit for him. I wish him well though. I can guarantee that 3 of his games he will play just became the toughest games he will have since he entered this league. He has never played against a Winston Rose or Deatrich Nichols and their team that makes QBs rush their throws. That's going to be 3 games he gets against the Bombers and 3 games he doesn't get against the porous Edmonton secondary...that should knock him down a few pegs on the league receiving list.

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

Hard cap is fine...how teams choose to spend within is fine too....some will be dumb ..and ruin their roster...others will be smart ...and deepen theirs

Hey, if Jones, ODay, and the Lions want to blow their brains out stocking up on IMP receiver instead of fixing horrible problems in their trenches it just makes them that much easier to beat. We can live without Lawler....what if they had stolen one of the Jeffs, Bryant, Yoshi, or Couture....that would have been a problem.

Edited by GCn20