2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yeah they had to fix the QB situation pronto and they just did that with Masoli.  They should win at least two home games this year now.  

Does Lawler know that the $300k is because he's going to be playing receiver and DB?

DB?...Hells no....Chris Jones looks at him and all he sees is DE. 

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

Naylor mentioned it on Hustler's show yesterday.

Wouldn't surprise me that there were multiple teams in on Ellingson. He was top 7 in the league last year. I imagine after the fiasco he played in last year the stability of a team like the Bombers was very appealing to him.

25 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Ack! Justin Dunk is confirming that Andrew Harris has signed with the Argos.

Best of luck with the Argos!  Wally gave up on AH back in 2016, and we were able to milk him for some pretty incredible years here in Winnipeg after that.  I hope that he has a great season and plays great in every game that we're not playing in.  I may even watch a few Argos games this season now!

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

As per the 'Stones, "You don't always get what you want".  Walters had to make a difficult decision and handled it as well as it could be under the circumstances.

Time for the Brady Olivera era to officially begin.

15 minutes ago, Tracker said:

As per the 'Stones, "You don't always get what you want".  Walters had to make a difficult decision and handled it as well as it could be under the circumstances.

you can't* always get what you want... but if you try some times, you just might find... another Winnipeg running back who has great potential... I think that's how the song goes

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

By my count, since this Free Agency has started, 11 of our guys have gone to the NFL or other CFL teams.... That is a lot and its only 3:45 on Tuesday, the first day of actual Free Agent Day...

24 minutes ago, camper_2 said:

By my count, since this Free Agency has started, 11 of our guys have gone to the NFL or other CFL teams.... That is a lot and its only 3:45 on Tuesday, the first day of actual Free Agent Day...

Meh..we are bringing back 80% of our roster and we were the most dominant team of the past 20 years.

It would be nice if AH33 were still here...

But I always think about what happened after 2007. The MO was to keep the team together, and go get a championship next year

That DID NOT work out - they clearly retained some players that they needed to move on from

I have found this off-season to be a nice balance of retention and recruitment...so far.

Harris and Augustine ended up in opposite places of my expectations heading into this offseason.

Augustine has shown he can play but nothing beyond a game here and there, Oliviera has shown bursts but is pretty average so far and really nothing in the pass game as a threat or blocker.  We have no idea how these guys will show in games that Harris dominated regardless of his health.  We know Harris will show up.  If you're building a team to win in 2022 you take Harris over either or even both of those guys, and really in the CFL you're building a team for one year.

I feel of any decision this one will bite us in the ass the most when the games matter.  This is a mistake IMO.

I don't understand the Oliviera can't block narrative. He picks up blitzes just fine. People need to remember Oliviera was a rookie last year, not officially, but he was. Of course he was going to see things that were completely new to him. That doesn't mean he can't block lol. He also had the same amount of 100 yrd games as Harris did.

2 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I don't understand the Oliviera can't block narrative. He picks up blitzes just fine. People need to remember Oliviera was a rookie last year, not officially, but he was. Of course he was going to see things that were completely new to him. That doesn't mean he can't block lol. He also had the same amount of 100 yrd games as Harris did.

Both are more than serviceable blockers. Neither is Andrew Harris blocking. But both can block and catch well enough. Plenty of backs in the league are worse at either. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You can watch the games or look at the stats.  Our downfield passing game was up when Harris was playing and down each week he wasn't.  The OL was the same, the QB was the same.

The guys installing and calling the plays didn't trust the other backs to block, especially Oliviera.  Sure he was essentially a rookie, but in football that's fluff and even fluffier in a one-year contract era.  You build a team to win now.

42 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

It would be nice if AH33 were still here...  But I always think about what happened after 2007. The MO was to keep the team together, and go get a championship next year

That DID NOT work out - they clearly retained some players that they needed to move on from I have found this off-season to be a nice balance of retention and recruitment...so far.

I believe that Harris made the best decision for him in terms of money, but he will not have the same O-line nor the same quality of QB throwing the ball or calling the type of running play to take advantage of the defence being shown. He is gonna get beaten up a lot.

34 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Harris and Augustine ended up in opposite places of my expectations heading into this offseason.

Augustine has shown he can play but nothing beyond a game here and there, Oliviera has shown bursts but is pretty average so far and really nothing in the pass game as a threat or blocker.  We have no idea how these guys will show in games that Harris dominated regardless of his health.  We know Harris will show up.  If you're building a team to win in 2022 you take Harris over either or even both of those guys, and really in the CFL you're building a team for one year.

I feel of any decision this one will bite us in the ass the most when the games matter.  This is a mistake IMO.

I wonder what they said in BC in 2011 when Harris took over in the backfield. "It's a mistake. It's a mistake". But it wasn't. guys have to play to get better. 

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

You can watch the games or look at the stats.  Our downfield passing game was up when Harris was playing and down each week he wasn't.  The OL was the same, the QB was the same.

The guys installing and calling the plays didn't trust the other backs to block, especially Oliviera.  Sure he was essentially a rookie, but in football that's fluff and even fluffier in a one-year contract era.  You build a team to win now.

I'm not saying Oliviera is as good as Harris. I just think it's insane to suggest that a rookie should be as good as an all time great and that you should ride a 35yr old RB until the wheels come completely off. You know there are more factors in play to down field passing than just the RB ability to block as well and like I said he was likely to see things that he hadn't in the past. It's not surprising/it's common sense that they didn't leave him out there to dry and get a qb killed.

Yes you build to win now...that's the goal. That doesn't mean never moving on when you have a viable/cheaper/younger backup. I'm fairly confident Walters and crew know what they're doing.

Edited by Bigblue204