Early chat- Ticats vs Champs Grey Cup Thread

Nolby

2 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/08/theres-some-very-passionate-conversations-bombers-mike-oshea-deals-with-player-vaccinations-individually/

“You’re dealing with humans and there’s some very passionate conversations in the office. I’m not talking about hammering players that you have to do this, you’re listening to the players, you get a sense of where they’re coming from,” O’Shea said. “When a player is not able to play for whatever reason, what comes to my mind is the person, what they’re feeling and the turmoil that they’re going through,” O’Shea said. “He wasn’t able to travel.”

O'Shea takes a much more sympathetic tone than I do, that's for sure.

If O’Shea wants to be a leader of men, gain their trust to play for him, and to be accountable to him and their teammates as players, then he must be careful and choose his words wisely, so as to be accountable to them as well, as a coach, as a man. Fans don’t need to have that same accountability, so they can feel free to express their opinions, whatever they may be, with less filter or measured words. 

44 minutes ago, Mike said:

You never know what the person is going through on an individual level.

Because we are federally regulated, my workplace was required to be fully vaccinated by November 15th and we had about 16 or 17 guys above me in the seniority roster who are not working because of that mandate. Among them are a few who think that the vaccine is an excuse to implant microchips in them. I have no time for them. But I do have all the time in the world for the guy who was one of the more respected guys in our workforce who opted out of getting the vaccine because his daughter had a very adverse reaction to it that has resulted in some fairly significant heart problems. He had nothing against the vaccination for everyone else, it just wasn’t worth the risk for him.

While I may not agree with either choice, I certainly respect one reason far more than the other.

TLDR: good on O’Shea for taking the time to talk with these guys and find out the reasons for their choices. 

We have the same situation at my work right now. My supervisors son had a very bad adverse reaction, and said supervisor (who is also vaxxed) has a very hard time with the mandate.
One of the most respected guys in our building, and one of the better human beings I’ve known.
How do you lump this guy in with the assholes who won’t get it because they’re afraid of George Soros seeing their search histories? 
Sounds like a similar circumstance to how and why O’Shea chooses to deal with it as he does. 

4 hours ago, johnzo said:

The Neufeld trade was the first move towards creating the modern, dominant Bombers.

I don't know where it fits in the timeline with the Neufeld trade and the Stanley Bryant signing, but signing Chris Randle was also pretty good, even though he isn't here anymore. Fortunately we have moved on to a place where we rely on recruiting stud DBs.

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

I don't know where it fits in the timeline with the Neufeld trade and the Stanley Bryant signing, but signing Chris Randle was also pretty good, even though he isn't here anymore. Fortunately we have moved on to a place where we rely on recruiting stud DBs.

Randall and Maurice Leggett really helped turn our d around. 

1 hour ago, WildPath said:

Honestly, as much as he underperformed here, Nick Moore was the first real, high-rated FA that was willing to sign here. 
They overpaid for him, but at the time it went a long way to help repair the reputation of the club being penny pinchers. 

3 hours ago, Mike said:

You never know what the person is going through on an individual level.

Because we are federally regulated, my workplace was required to be fully vaccinated by November 15th and we had about 16 or 17 guys above me in the seniority roster who are not working because of that mandate. Among them are a few who think that the vaccine is an excuse to implant microchips in them. I have no time for them. But I do have all the time in the world for the guy who was one of the more respected guys in our workforce who opted out of getting the vaccine because his daughter had a very adverse reaction to it that has resulted in some fairly significant heart problems. He had nothing against the vaccination for everyone else, it just wasn’t worth the risk for him.

While I may not agree with either choice, I certainly respect one reason far more than the other.

TLDR: good on O’Shea for taking the time to talk with these guys and find out the reasons for their choices. 

100 percent Mike I totally agree with you. With the history of Pfizer, and the issues of potential myocarditis caused by the vaccine, especially reported in the demographic of 18-30 year olds(I’m 30) and and in men particularly I did all the research and looked into the studies I was quite worried because even though i take very good care of myself I went on a stress leave briefly in 2020 and heart palpitations were a common problem due to high stress at the time so my heart health and my stress levels were two things I really made an effort to prioritize on. I did end up getting the vaccine back in June but I won’t ever judge someone who has a legitimate reason for why they won’t get vaccinated it’s not a black and white case for every single person I had to make a decision for myself personally and it worried me a lot at the time. 

Edited by Arnold_Palmer

30 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

100 percent Mike I totally agree with you. With the history of Pfizer, and the issues of potential myocarditis caused by the vaccine, especially reported in the demographic of 18-30 year olds(I’m 30) and and in men particularly I did all the research and looked into the studies I was quite worried because even though i take very good care of myself I went on a stress leave briefly in 2020 and heart palpitations were a common problem due to high stress at the time so my heart health and my stress levels were two things I really made an effort to prioritize on. I did end up getting the vaccine back in June but I won’t ever judge someone who has a legitimate reason for why they won’t get vaccinated it’s not a black and white case for every single person I had to make a decision for myself personally and it worried me a lot at the time. 

you know what has a higher risk of myocarditis than vaccines? Covid. I mean I get being hesitant because of things like that... but why is one risk OK but the other not? 

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

you know what has a higher risk of myocarditis than vaccines? Covid. I mean I get being hesitant because of things like that... but why is one risk OK but the other not? 

I got covid in March I was more worried about dying from a heart attack or blood clot to be honest. However with more data out I felt comfortable making the decision to get vaccinated, but I can see and empathize why people make the decisions that they do and we don’t have to respect it or agree but I think it’s important to understand. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Honestly, as much as he underperformed here, Nick Moore was the first real, high-rated FA that was willing to sign here. 
They overpaid for him, but at the time it went a long way to help repair the reputation of the club being penny pinchers. 

I forgot about him. You're right, I now remember being shocked at the time that the Bombers landed a big name FA. It was such a rare happening back then. Stanley Bryant was also a surprise.

That did seem to be the start of our slow but steady shift towards becoming a respectable franchise again.

Randle was the first player who started the locker room reboot and culture change, followed by Neuf later that year.  Bryant was the next biggest piece in 2015 who solidified it and brought it that much further along  as more pieces were added....if you look back to the dark times, and the embarrassment we were, those are the 3 founding fathers...Its too bad Randle wasn't able to reap the rewards for his 5 years here...creating the work ethic and grooming and anointing BA as a leader...he noticed BA's character early on and took him under his wing to take over when he was gone...Well deserved ring(s) by Bryant and Neuf...loyal guys to the core who brought us from dumpster, to the penthouse...

10 hours ago, bigg jay said:

I will never tire of reading stuff like this.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2021/12/08/long-read-magic-coach-oshea/

I know when Coach O'Shea was hired some of us were a little skeptical... myself included... we weren't really sure what to expect...

And now sometimes I can't help but think... we are so lucky to have this guy as our head coach... I hope he stays here for the next decade and beyond and never wears other colours ever again... Mike O'Shea is a national treasure (now I'm starting to sound like a Riders beat writer)

Nice gesture by the enemy:

74BcR77k_normal.jpg

Last night we honoured the great for his incredible contributions to the CFL. He might not wear the jersey 😉, but he’ll be back as our guest of honour at the 2023 Grey Cup in Hamilton, to enjoy it as a true CFL fan. Congratulations & enjoy retirement, Bob!

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Randle was the first player who started the locker room reboot and culture change, followed by Neuf later that year.  Bryant was the next biggest piece in 2015 who solidified it and brought it that much further along  as more pieces were added....if you look back to the dark times, and the embarrassment we were, those are the 3 founding fathers...Its too bad Randle wasn't able to reap the rewards for his 5 years here...creating the work ethic and grooming and anointing BA as a leader...he noticed BA's character early on and took him under his wing to take over when he was gone...Well deserved ring(s) by Bryant and Neuf...loyal guys to the core who brought us from dumpster, to the penthouse...

What about Fatboi?  The guys seem to love him, just curious if he also played a role in the culture turnaround...thanks...

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

What about Fatboi?  The guys seem to love him, just curious if he also played a role in the culture turnaround...thanks...

yeah he been here a while now...not originally tho...raw rookie..coming from a small school on east coast...he was prob just happy to be on the roster and mind his p's and q's...but he is now a solid part of the culture as he been through it from bottom to top