Early chat- Ticats vs Champs Grey Cup Thread

Nolby

39 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Exactly.

I imagine Paddy because we just ask him to do everything.

I remember all the flack Walters got trading for Paddy when all we gave up for a starting NI ended up being use of Alex Hall for the remainder of 2013 (a lost season at that point) and a 2nd round pick (the player picked ended up being a flop).... I bet if you asked Walters he'd say that was the best trade he ever made.

9 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I remember all the flack Walters got trading for Paddy when all we gave up for a starting NI ended up being use of Alex Hall for the remainder of 2013 (a lost season at that point) and a 2nd round pick (the player picked ended up being a flop).... I bet if you asked Walters he'd say that was the best trade he ever made.

It is up there. I imagine he is pretty happy with the Nichols trade and the Collaros trade.

39 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Hey guys, if you want to discuss vaccination and the impact on the team and the Grey Cup, feel free to continue that discussion here.  Personal discussions around COVID / Vaccination can be carried on in the General Forum.

Thanks all! 

Quick question on posting rules. Can I monetize my comments by including an ad while posting?  Thanks.

https://www.lemonaidhealth.com/ed-options

37 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

TBH... I actually remember that trade being praised.... Kyle traded away an American DL on an expiring contract for a young Canadian OL, who was a potential starter... in a season we were clearly going nowhere... I remember thinking that trade was great at the time... maybe some didn't think so?

Some random, maybe fascinating but largely useless stuff about the upcoming game:

In the 108 year history of the Grey Cup, this is the 33rd time a team has returned to the championship game to defend its title. Defending champions are 21-11 in the following year’s game when they return. Since the founding of the CFL in 1958 they are 9-6. This is also the 46th time a team that has lost the previous Grey Cup has gotten back to the big game. Those teams are 22-23 overall, and 16-10 since 1958, in that scenario. 

Winnipeg and Hamilton are meeting for the 12th time in the Grey Cup game, including the matches where their military teams playing in the 1940’s. This is the most common match-up in Grey Cup history, surpassing the 11 match-ups between Edmonton and Montreal. Since the inception of the CFL in 1958, Montreal and Edmonton have met 8 times. With this year’s match-up, the Bombers and Cats will now tie that record in the CFL era. 

Winnipeg is  7-4 overall against Hamilton in Grey Cup games, and 6-1 since 1958. 

This is the 17th re-match in Grey Cup history, and the 10th in the CFL era (sort of, the Bombers and Tiger Cats played each other on 1957 and 58 so there was an overlap in the pre- and Post-CFL era there: the 1958 game is not counted in the “CFL era” stats). Overall, the team that won the first game is 10-6 in the re-match, but only 4-5 in the CFL era (starting with the 1959 Bomber-Cat re-match). Only 4 times have two teams met in 3 consecutive seasons. Here are the full results:

1928-29: Hamilton sweeps Saskatchewan

1937-38: Toronto sweeps Winnipeg

*1945-47: Toronto defends twice over Winnipeg, sweeping the 3 games

*1954-56: Edmonton goes 3-0 over Montreal

*1957-59: Hamilton wins the first meeting with Winnipeg, the Bombers win the re-match, then defend their title in year 3

1961-62: Bombers win both against Hamilton (this is the first time two clubs will play 5 Grey Cups against each other in a 6 year span, Edmonton and Montreal will repeat this feat in the 1970’s)

1963-64:Hamilton and BC split with the Cats winning the first and the Leos taking the re-match

1974-75: Montreal beats Edmonton in the opener but lose the re-match

1977-79: Esks/Als again for 3 straight, Alouettes win the first, give up the title in year 2, and the Eskimos defend in year 3. 

1998-99: Calgary beats Hamilton in the first one, Cats flip the script the next year 

2002-03: Montreal/ Edmonton once again, Als win the first one but Esks spoil the title defence the next year

2009-10: Montreal sweeps Saskatchewan, including the infamous “13th man” penalty in game one. 

The Tiger Cats get a home game this year.  This is the 11th time they have hosted, and amazingly only once in the prior 10 games  have they not appeared as a team in the game they hosted (Toronto vs Edmonton in 1996). They are 6-3 as the “home team” in the other 9 Grey Cups held in Hamilton., although the first 8 were before the rotational system came into play.

Before 1941, almost every game was held in Hamilton or Toronto (Ottawa did not host until 1925 when they beat the Winnipeg Tammany Tigers as the home team, Montreal got its first home game in 1931 beating the Roughriders), and there was no neutral site, so every year until 1941 was a home game for one of the teams (always in the east). The first “neutral site” game was in 1941 when Toronto hosted the game and Winnipeg beat Ottawa. After that game, Toronto won as the host city 6 times, beating Winnipeg in 1942, 45-47, and 50, and beating Edmonton in 1952. Hamilton lost as the host to Montreal in 1944. That game in Hamilton was the only one in a 14 year span where every other game was in Toronto.

The first western Grey Cup was 1955 when Edmonton defeated Montreal in BC. After that game, Toronto and BC rotated the hosting duties, with BC essentially getting every third year. The next host city to have its team appear in the game was BC in 1963, who lost to Hamilton.

But the true rotation of Grey Cup host cities did not start until 1965, with the 4 eastern teams and BC hosting. Calgary would get its first Grey Cup in 1975, Edmonton in 1984, Winnipeg in 1991, and Regina in 1995. Since the advent of the full rotational system , 11 teams have played at home in a Grey Cup game before this year. Those home teams are 6-5 overall, including the last 3 times in consecutive years from 2011 to 2013.

Calgary and Winnipeg are the only two current CFL teams to have never played in a “home” Grey Cup game. Edmonton is the only franchise to never win a “home” Grey Cup. 

And finally, Winnipeg and Hamilton have met once before in a  “home field” Grey Cup, all the way back in 1935 when the Winnipeg Pegs beat the Tiger Cats to become the first ever western team to win the Grey Cup. 

59 minutes ago, bearpants said:

TBH... I actually remember that trade being praised.... Kyle traded away an American DL on an expiring contract for a young Canadian OL, who was a potential starter... in a season we were clearly going nowhere... I remember thinking that trade was great at the time... maybe some didn't think so?

Looking at this thread there was ALOT of people thinking Walters overpaid.

1 hour ago, bearpants said:

It has to be said the job Walters has done is phenomenal. We had the worst o-line and the least amount of Canadian talent of any roster in the CFL when he took over. Now we have the best of both. Just goes to show life is a marathon not a sprint!

43 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

Looking at this thread there was ALOT of people thinking Walters overpaid.

Read a couple pages of this... old threads can be fun/entertaining... seems like most people just didn't like that the Bombers had to throw in the 2nd round pick as a sweetener

Though it looks like @17to85 really, really hated the trade at the time :D