Game Day Thread- Week Sixteen, GAME 14: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Eskimos September 29, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

So Rich Hall finally took the reins off the defence and them let them play, who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

As for Lapo, I'd give him one more game then pull the play the calling duties from him, he coaches like he's in high school ball, only one throw over 10 years until well into the 4th quarter, that's not how winners coach. 

Great win btw. 

Where the heck has this D  been hiding all year....Great game and the reason we dominated the Esks. right out of their stadium...If we would have played that kind of ball on defence all year we sure as hell wouldn't be scrambling like we are now...Tied with the Esks. and looking very dominate on D....Now if the offence can find itself ….mainly Nichols...maybe we have something going down the stretch....FINALLY we beat a team who are in the top tier in this league...Keep er going guys...………………Note to Mike O....WHEN YOU HAVE THE GAME IN THE BAG ..PLEASE TAKE OUT THE  STARTERS WE CONSIDER INVALUABLE...Nonsense to leave them open to injury

1 minute ago, Stickem said:

Where the heck has this D  been hiding all year....Great game and the reason we dominated the Esks. right out of their stadium...If we would have played that kind of ball on defence all year we sure as hell wouldn't be scrambling like we are now...Tied with the Esks. and looking very dominate on D....Now if the offence can find itself ….mainly Nichols...maybe we have something going down the stretch....FINALLY we beat a team who are in the top tier in this league...Keep er going guys...………………Note to Mike O....WHEN YOU HAVE THE GAME IN THE BAG ..PLEASE TAKE OUT THE  STARTERS WE CONSIDER INVALUABLE...Nonsense to leave them open to injury

Our D has barely given up a TD drive from Labour Day on.  This didn't come out of nowhere.

8 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Fair point.  Personally I thought it looked late and avoidable.

He had a chance to lay on a hit and he took it. I abso-freakin-lutely loved it! I can't wait for the next receiver to expose himself like that against our secondary. Next time William's'll let that ball go.

Notice has been served. Throw the ball in Sayles direction and your receiver will get F@CKED UP!

5 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Note to Mike O....WHEN YOU HAVE THE GAME IN THE BAG ..PLEASE TAKE OUT THE  STARTERS WE CONSIDER INVALUABLE...Nonsense to leave them open to injury

QFT

5 minutes ago, BBlink said:

I know our D has been good lately but I didn't fully think we had this in the bag until 9 minutes left in the game. I figured Mike Reilly would pull off some miracle and our D wouldn't be able to keep it up all game. 

Boy was I wrong. This was a defensive gem.

I was waiting for Reilly to connect on a deep pass or two - the score was close for a long time. 

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I was waiting for Reilly to connect on a deep pass or two - the score was close for a long time. 

I was expecting it too but he missed Walker and once Duke got dinged up he was not a factor. Stafford, Giguere and to a lesser extent Mitchell don’t scare anyone. 

3 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I was expecting it too but he missed Walker and once Duke got dinged up he was not a factor. Stafford, Giguere and to a lesser extent Mitchell don’t scare anyone. 

Much like our offense doesn't scare anyone.  We've got some.receivers who are showing they can be gamers, but the sweep and dump pass are the bread and butter.   Take away the sweeps, and Nichols is barely over 120 on the night.

Defense played amazing. They have been good to great for weeks now, but who could have seen a performance like that coming? Hall may have saved his job the last couple months.

Offense hot garbage. That game was about 20 points closer than it would have been with even an average offense. Nichols can't get past his first read without turtling like a rookie. Just awful.

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

I know our D has been good lately but I didn't fully think we had this in the bag until 9 minutes left in the game. I figured Mike Reilly would pull off some miracle and our D wouldn't be able to keep it up all game. 

Boy was I wrong. This was a defensive gem.

I was thinking Reilly would come out & throw for 300 second half yards but pleasantly surprised by the way we put a physical licking on the Eskimos. 

44 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Huh? Not sure what you mean. Like, maybe we should have held them to zero points?

No, what I'm saying was that we won't surprise teams like we did the Esks tonite & we need our offense to start producing again. LaPo has gone into a shell play calling. Very vanilla & conservative.  Not a lot of imagination as compared to earlier this season.