Game Day Thread- Week Sixteen, GAME 14: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Eskimos September 29, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

5 hours ago, Deiter Fan said:

He was actually shaking his head to signal he wasn't going in. He even spoke to the camera and said something like..."There's only 1min 11sec to go. I'm not going in." Then smiled. Suitor followed up with something about if Reilly's injury was serious then Glenn would be getting the next start and there was no point putting him in and risking him getting injured in a lost cause.

The mic just picked it up - he wasn't speaking to the camera, he was speaking to Maas.

1 minute ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Agreed.  I don't think I've ever seen a Hall defence blitz as much as he did last night Sure beats those soft zones with minimal QB pressure from earlier in the season.

The biggest problem with the scheme has been the predictability of the blitzes.  He’s always sending JSK and Bighill straight ahead.  In recent weeks they’ve been sending the SAM more and some DB’s, running more 30 fronts with Wild in there on passing downs, looping guys and making it tough for QBs to scramble out of the pocket.  The whole game is being unpredictable and not letting QBs get comfortable.

This was the game the Bomber faithful have been waiting for and may be the spark needed to propel the team into the playoffs. The Bombers dominated from start to finish. Nichols was not spectacular, but got the job done. Peterman and Wolitarski were major contributors, LaPolice finally used Harris to grind out the clock, and surprise! we did not get out-coached at half-time. Santos-Knox, Roh, Sayles and Loffler were superb. The D-line harassed Reilly all games and when he came out after half-time, he was walking like an old man. The Bomber O-line tightened up when they had to despite giving up a couple of sacks.
The Esks are going to be a long time recovering from this beating.

29 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The biggest problem with the scheme has been the predictability of the blitzes.  He’s always sending JSK and Bighill straight ahead.  In recent weeks they’ve been sending the SAM more and some DB’s, running more 30 fronts with Wild in there on passing downs, looping guys and making it tough for QBs to scramble out of the pocket.  The whole game is being unpredictable and not letting QBs get comfortable.

I wonder if those early season blitz packages were holdovers from the Hurl era...  it really was based on gaps and not QB chaos.  Bighill and JSK are just so fast and both really can read the offence... its impressive.

3 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

Most coaches don't take out alot of their starters.  Especially when the team is winning.  Everyone thinks Harrris is playing injured.  Well of course! Every player is injured but the game plan was to finish the 4th quarter with an extremely conservative pound the ball on the ground effort.  And who best to do that?  

O'Shea takes a lot of crap for not taking out his starters but it's not wrong.   Look at Dave Dickenson.  He hardly ever takes out BLM if the games been decided.  His opinion is that his starters are paid to play 60 minutes and they also deserve to finish the game they started.  

I have no issue with leaving in the starters.

Really? In the BC - Ham game earlier in the day they pulled starters -- Jennings for sucking and Masoli to, I assume, protect him going forward.

Would have rather seen LaFrance pounding the ball late. Would have liked to see Streveler get some reps late.

It may be true about Dickenson but I'd still suggest it's not smart. These QBs may be looking to pad statistics and risking injury to get garbage stats is foolish.

Let's agree to disagree. All good.

The morning after..with coffee...

- An odd stat...Edmonton did not kickoff once during the game..

- Bombers only 3 penalties for 20 yards..

- Winnipeg now leads the league in interceptions with 17

- Winnipeg will be in 3rd overall in points allowed after the weekend, but only 5th in yards per game, almost 600 yards total behind the 7-7 Eskimos...

- 23.79.. the average points allowed per game by the Bombers, good for 3rd in the league.

- containment with pressure was the formula for the Bomber D last night, and that’s how you beat Reilly.

- Edmonton has now lost 4 out of their last 5

- Mike Reilly’s longest pass was 26 yards

- nice reward for Mike Miller’s stellar ST’s play...1 catch for 22 yards..

- Craig Roh - now has 7 sacks

It comes from a few different things. Everyone on d is on the same page. Hall is likely calling a few new schemes as well. Play books evolve during a season, not in a completely new direction...but just adding a few wrinkles here and there. And those can make all the difference.  And sometimes you just catch a team on a downward spiral and take advantage. 

As good as Medlock is I didn't like his missed FG yesterday although I was glad to see he didn't shank any punts this game. He used to be "Money". Not sure what's going on with him.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I wonder if those early season blitz packages were holdovers from the Hurl era...  it really was based on gaps and not QB chaos.  Bighill and JSK are just so fast and both really can read the offence... its impressive.

Hall has used simple blitzes all along, Doug Brown has mentioned it a bunch. I suspect the changes in their blitzing are from others on the coaching staff.

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

This was the game the Bomber faithful have been waiting for and may be the spark needed to propel the team into the playoffs. The Bombers dominated from start to finish. Nichols was not spectacular, but got the job done. Peterman and Wolitarski were major contributors, LaPolice finally used Harris to grind out the clock, and surprise! we did not get out-coached at half-time. Santos-Knox, Roh, Sayles and Loffler were superb. The D-line harassed Reilly all games and when he came out after half-time, he was walking like an old man. The Bomber O-line tightened up when they had to despite giving up a couple of sacks.
The Esks are going to be a long time recovering from this beating.

Especially if Williams & Reilly are out. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Especially if Williams & Reilly are out. 

Williams looked to be in significant distress, and as many here have been predicting, the pounding Reilly has been taking for years looks to be catching up to him and he is not bouncing back up on his feet any more. He is not getting any younger but I think he will be back next week due to better living through chemistry.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Williams looked to be in significant distress, and as many here have been predicting, the pounding Reilly has been taking for years looks to be catching up to him and he is not bouncing back up on his feet any more. He is not getting any younger but I think he will be back next week due to better living through chemistry.

Ha. Yes but for how long? Soreness is one thing but structural damage is another. Reilly's bigger concern might be that he has no one to throw to.