Game Day Thread- Week Sixteen, GAME 14: Winnipeg Blue Bombers @ Eskimos September 29, 2018

Wanna-B-Fanboy

7 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No, what I'm saying was that we won't surprise teams like we did the Esks tonite & we need our offense to start producing again. LaPo has gone into a shell play calling. Very vanilla & conservative.  Not a lot of imagination as compared to earlier this season. 

And I would imagine at least some teams have centres and guards who can block Drake Nevis. 

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Glenn not happy. Shaking his head that he didn't get in. 

He was actually shaking his head to signal he wasn't going in. He even spoke to the camera and said something like..."There's only 1min 11sec to go. I'm not going in." Then smiled. Suitor followed up with something about if Reilly's injury was serious then Glenn would be getting the next start and there was no point putting him in and risking him getting injured in a lost cause.

As an aside...and for how often I think the refs have it in for us...I was surprised there wasn't a penalty call for interference on O'neill  on the punt block. Not sure who it was but someone tackled him as he was going for the ball. I thought for sure they were gonna toss a flag.

Edited by Deiter Fan

36 minutes ago, Deiter Fan said:

He was actually shaking his head to signal he wasn't going in. He even spoke to the camera and said something like..."There's only 1min 11sec to go. I'm not going in." Then smiled. Suitor followed up with something about if Reilly's injury was serious then Glenn would be getting the next start and there was no point putting him in and risking him getting injured in a lost cause.

As an aside...and for how often I think the refs have it in for us...I was surprised there wasn't a penalty call for interference on O'neill  on the punt block. Not sure who it was but someone tackled him as he was going for the ball. I thought for sure they were gonna toss a flag.

In those situations, I can't recall a time a ref tossed a flag for that- too much chaos. 

10 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

That needs to be thrown out of bounds.  Real stupid decision.

I love all these armchair QB's we have on this site.  The play was there but a real good defensive play.   

Hindsight's a great thing and you think you know better.   What if the play worked? What would your response have been?   I'd say we'd have heard crickets. 

9 hours ago, J5V said:

QFT

Most coaches don't take out alot of their starters.  Especially when the team is winning.  Everyone thinks Harrris is playing injured.  Well of course! Every player is injured but the game plan was to finish the 4th quarter with an extremely conservative pound the ball on the ground effort.  And who best to do that?  

O'Shea takes a lot of crap for not taking out his starters but it's not wrong.   Look at Dave Dickenson.  He hardly ever takes out BLM if the games been decided.  His opinion is that his starters are paid to play 60 minutes and they also deserve to finish the game they started.  

I have no issue with leaving in the starters.

The defence played the best game that I can remember in a long time.  But I'm not as hard on the offence as some of you are.  I'm going to leave stats out of the conversation and just look at game management. Yes Lapo called a conservative and yes boring game.  He was more interested in ball control and moving the ball downfield.  But what impressed me was in the 4th quarter we needed to pound the ball and kill the clock. There was one series where we had success running the ball and converting on 2nd down.  But most importantly we killed over 6 minutes off the clock.  Unfortunately we turned the ball over on the turnover  deep in esks territory.   Nichols threw the ball low to minimize the chance of the turnover but the defender just made a great play.  

Not a great game by the offence but not as bad as many of you are making it out to be.   

1 hour ago, B-F-F-C said:

I love all these armchair QB's we have on this site.  The play was there but a real good defensive play.   

Hindsight's a great thing and you think you know better.   What if the play worked? What would your response have been?   I'd say we'd have heard crickets. 

The play wasn’t there that’s why he was scrambling.  It was 2nd and 13.  Wouldn’t have even been a first down if the receiver makes the catch on the turf.  Everyone on the field knows where that ball is going at that point and it’s not going to a guy who is wide-open, it’s going to a guy who is stationary in a crowd which is basically get your receiver killed or throw a pick 101. It was a nice catch because Nichols threw it low but it wasn’t a great read by a DB, any DB would jump that.  Throw it away kick the field goal, have a 27 point lead at that point, 4 possession game, game over.

Nichols did a fairly good job of playing within the confines of not taking unnecessary risks.  That was one.

1 hour ago, Captain Blue said:

Great defensive game again.

If we had an offense I would pick us to do damage in the playoffs. This passing attack is sadly not improving at all. 

The scary part is not being able to sustain drives.  Far too many 2 and outs.  If they just got 2-3 first downs every drive they would have ended most drives last night in FG range and put up 42-45 points.  Also need to cash in on that field position with a couple more TDs.  

The Bombers have the best starting field position in the league.  Early in the season the offense capitalized on it.  Starting in the BC loss they’ve really struggled to.  The defense and special teams have the ability to be dominant and make big plays when the offense can just even be mildly functional.

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Our D has barely given up a TD drive from Labour Day on.  This didn't come out of nowhere.

Sure didn't result in any victories.....sooo there's that.....Granted you can lay blame on the offence for that BUT I seem to remember a lot of 'marching at will' at crucial times that cost us bigtime....That didn't happen last night and that's the type of defence I've been waiting for all year

2 hours ago, Captain Blue said:

Great defensive game again.

If we had an offense I would pick us to do damage in the playoffs. This passing attack is sadly not improving at all. 

Hall has modified from his usual philosophy for the last two games and it's paying dividends right now.

We are doing hard contains and making the QB uncomfortable in the pocket. Great recipe for success.

Next up, Trevor Harris.

12 minutes ago, Stickem said:

Sure didn't result in any victories.....sooo there's that.....Granted you can lay blame on the offence for that BUT I seem to remember a lot of 'marching at will' at crucial times that cost us bigtime....That didn't happen last night and that's the type of defence I've been waiting for all year

The offense gave up 57 points directly off their turnovers in the 4 game losing streak.  57!

4 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Hall has modified from his usual philosophy for the last two games and it's paying dividends right now.

We are doing hard contains and making the QB uncomfortable in the pocket. Great recipe for success.

Next up, Trevor Harris.

Agreed.  I don't think I've ever seen a Hall defence blitz as much as he did last night Sure beats those soft zones with minimal QB pressure from earlier in the season.