Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Yes it was 100% his fault.  He was the GM, HC, OC, and QB coach.  There is no one else who bears any part of the blame.

I put 98% of it on Arjei Franklin.  The season totally turned around once we shipped his spit-disturbing carcass to Calgary.

7 hours ago, MC said:

I never felt Bryan Randall was given a chance to succeed here.  Nobody in that offence was given a chance to succeed except for the running backs.  The only possible explanation for the playbook was that someone thought, "it's so crazy it just might work."

I went to a Bomber practice in 2008, just after Glenn had been demoted and Dinwiddie had taken over.  I watched Randall run a few plays during a scrimmage and saw him miss open receivers by a huge margin.  I don't think he was that good.

Randall sucked....  Richie Williams could run a perfect play action but aside from that his noodle arm was also not good.    From all our mediocre backups over the last 10 years I think the only ones that may have been something with good health and better coaching was Marve and Elliott.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Randall sucked....  Richie Williams could run a perfect play action but aside from that his noodle arm was also not good.    From all our mediocre backups over the last 10 years I think the only ones that may have been something with good health and better coaching was Marve and Elliott.

100%

Fair point considering some of the guys who have come through.... but really...  Marve started like ten games in his whole college career, was more broken than Buck Pierce, and couldn't read a defence to save his life.  He had no business being in professional football.

However

Edited by Atomic

21 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Fair point considering some of the guys who have come through.... but really...  Marve started like ten games in his whole college career, was more broken than Buck Pierce, and couldn't read a defence to save his life.  He had no business being in professional football.

Most unqualified... hmm

You want to rank the Bomber backups best to worst for the last ten years...  illuminate us.

3 minutes ago, TheSource said:

Don't really care where he is now, just so long as he never comes anywhere near this team again.  My two favorite pictures from the Kelly era: the mug shot and the pic of him hauling his stuff out of the stadium in a bin.  I only wish I could find that pic.

15 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The Souce is actually Mike Kelly. 😉

I truly hope that isn't the case and that he's just a trollish poster who likes to show up from time to time and stir things up, because if it's true, then he's even a more pathetic figure than I ever could have imagined. 

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

However

Right, Marve found a way to win a game in his first and only year in CFL football, despite physical limitations that should have disqualified him from playing football  all together.  Most QB's get 2-3 years to develop as backups before being thrown into a relief situation, Marve only appeared in 3 games total and managed to win this one relying on "play-ground" football skills.  Not saying Marve needs to be lauded but he certainly does not deserve the level of criticism you're throwing his way as one of the worst ever.  Howbout re-aiming your criticism at Bomber scouting and management for signing him up in the first place knowing his injury history? 

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

3 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Right, Marve found a way to win a game in his first and only year in CFL football, despite physical limitations that should have disqualified him from playing football  all together.  Most QB's get 2-3 years to develop as backups before being thrown into a relief situation, Marve only appeared in 3 games total and managed to win this one relying on "play-ground" football skills.  Not saying Marve needs to be lauded but he certainly does not deserve the level of criticism you're throwing his way as one of the worst ever.  Howbout re-aiming your criticism at Bomber scouting and management for signing him up in the first place knowing his injury history? 

The spirit was willing but the flesh not so much...

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think it's implied to be a failure on management's part when a QB with Marve's qualifications and injury history is brought in.

I liked Marve as a person and respected his drive but he simply had no business starting a pro football game.  He squeezed out the win in 2014 (though he is not credited with a W) but when he started a game in 2015 it was painfully obvious... the man had no experience and simply couldn't  read a defence.  Maybe that's a little harsh but it's true.  He had a big arm and good speed but it's all for naught if you can't think the game.