Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

You can't really argue that it wasn't a poor decision for his career.

I think you can make that case if you assume that someone's career isn't really over after football.  Give it 20 years and then see whether this was a bad career decision or not.

5 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Or... he acted on something that he believes is important, and accepted that there might be consequences as a result.  Believe it or not, some people actually would rather do what they think is right, even if it costs them personally.  We need more of those people.

Always need people to stand up for freedom of speech and conscience.

More people who want to be immune from consequences then wallow in self righteous resentment when the desired outcome isnt reached or universally praised?

No, thank you. All booked up.

Edited by Zontar

On 2018-05-15 at 7:36 AM, Atomic said:

I certainly can. Some decisions are right, even though they have an exorbitant cost as a consequence. An example was Leslie Mahafee's decision to not  torture her friend ant the behest of Carla Homolka and Paul Bernardo. She said,"No. Some things are worth dying for" and they killed her. Rosa Parks was arrested, assaulted and jailed for her refusal to go to the back of the bus. The list goes on and on. Money does not define what is important.

Edited by tracker

36 minutes ago, tracker said:

I certainly can. Some decisions are right, even though they have an exorbitant cost as a consequence. An example was Christine Mahafee's decision to not  torture her friend ant the behest of Carla Homolka and Paul Bernardo. She said,"No. Some things are worth dying for" and they killed her. Rosa Parks was arrested, assaulted and jailed for her refusal to go to the back of the bus. The list goes on and on. Money does not define what is important.

I don't see how any of those people's careers were helped by those decisions.

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse?  Because I weep for you if you're not.

My original post was in reference to political activism being a career limiting move, not whether it is morally right or not.  And that point still stands.

On 2018-05-14 at 5:15 PM, wbbfan said:

some how every one is missing the reverse order thing. the worst teams in the league dont get first choice over better teams according to that. Which would be great for us. though Im sure every team in the league is gonna bid a first round pick. Doubt we get him but it would be pretty great if we do. 

The worst team in the league gets to make the final bid so they know what they have to give up to outbid everyone else. 

18 minutes ago, johnzo said:

More chaos in Montreal:

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/kahlil-carters-brief-tenure-with-alouettes-marred-by-conflicts

Real interesting stuff in there about Carter vs. Tommy Campbell.

When the confidential inside sources talk about they them they and what they are told happened I give up. An article by a guy, who interviews a guy who talked to a guy who may have been involved. too flimsy. 

On one hand with a dumpster fire like mtl if a coach or player is ok with it thats a bad sign. hard nosed coaching has won a TON more games then players best friend. But if you are too much of a dumpster fire for montreal... Im just glad we are no longer in that position. 

11 hours ago, Atomic said:

It's just not about taking a knee. Politics was just the last straw. He always had trouble reading defenses but this is just insane... This may be more damning to NFL  teams than taking a knee. 

On 2018-05-14 at 2:49 PM, Colin Unger said:

Yeah we are probably about 70k short of being able to sign him at this point :(

I seem to remember hearing $200K durant signed for (with no mention of the signing bonus at the time) if I'm remembering that right $130K left over with a pinch of westerman monies and a life time coupon for free cheese nips and I think were good

4 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/15/argos-release-quarterback-jeff-mathews/

Welp theres a qb with several years of cfl experience available. 

Nothing wrong in bringing him in. He got some experience. 

2015-2017
Games played 11 (9 in 2015)
Completion 144
Attempts 218
Yards 1726
TD 7
INT 9

He's a big guy 6.4 221 too.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

17 hours ago, Atomic said:

I don't see how any of those people's careers were helped by those decisions.

In the narrowest of definitions, you are correct. Politics and sports have been intertwined for at least 3000 years, maybe longer, but if an athlete/coach/manager expresses a political opinion that agrees with the views of the ownership or league, it probably enhances his/her career. You don't have to go very to see that.

11 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I agree. I’d bring him in to compete with Ross for the 2nd string job.  I’m sold on Streveler being on he roster not matter what. 

I am one of a small minority that still think that Cato would be worth a look. God knows, he was athletic and had fire in his belly. He did throw high-risk passes but the Als were struggling at the time and he took it upon himself to try to carry the team. He was one of the few Als that cared enough to give a spit when they lost due to their own ineptitude.

Edited by tracker

8 minutes ago, tracker said:

I am one of a small minority that still think that Cato would be worth a look. God knows, he was athletic and had fire in his belly. He did throw high-risk passes but the Als were struggling at the time and he took it upon himself to try to carry the team. He was one of the few Als that cared enough to give a spit when they lost due to their own ineptitude.

Cato is a coach's worst nightmare, he's got PTSD from growing up in a combat zone. 
Here's what he's been doing since leaving the Als.

Fired from coaching Miami Central H.S.
Arrested in Miami on a fugitive Gun possession charge out of Tallahassee.
Cut by Richmond Roughriders Arena Football team with the following notes.

Rakeem Cato, the highly regarded QB from Marshall University, has been released. Despite putting up solid numbers opening weekend, his locker room presence had proven to be too disruptive for the team.

Owner Gregg Fornario said: "Cato is a terrific QB and a great competitor but he wasn't seeing eye to eye with the coaching staff so we felt it was best for the team if we went in a different direction."

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

To expand on the above, Cato was playing on the Richmond Roughriders but was replaced as starter by former Bombers QB Bryan Randall.  Noted domestic abuser Greg Hardy also plays for the Roughriders.

Birds of a feather...